Marathon Training: Week 5

February 27, 2011

The runs are getting l-o-n-g!

This week our team run was 6 miles. 6 miles is still a comfortable distance for me, it’s an hour on the road, which is doable. But, with week 5 completed, we are now well on our way to some serious miles.

…back to this week though.

My training this week went really well. My pace is definitely picking up, and I just feel like I’m finally finding my groove.

Here’s a recap of this week’s training

Feb 20 – Feb 26

Sunday: Hot Vinyasa
Monday: Rest Day
Tuesday: 5 miles in 48:25 (9:15 pace)
Wednesday: Rest Day
Thursday: Track Workout 1. Completed 4 miles in 36:57
Friday: 4 miles in 38:30 (9:05 pace)
Saturday: Team Run 6 miles in 56:08
     Mile 1: 9:44
     Miles 2: 9:26
     Mile 3: 9:26
     Mile 4: 9:38
     Mile 5: 9:38
     Mile 6: 8:13

Total Mileage for the week: 19 miles

photo 1

(Bad photo…taken with the phone, in a dark room :/)

After our team run we celebrated with cupcakes!! Woohoo!

photo 5

I can tell you one thing’s for certain, my legs are sore! And I can feel the early stages of plantars fasciitis starting to flare up. The arch of my left foot is becoming really sore and achy.

I brought this up to one of my coaches and he recommended to use a frozen water ball as my pain reliever. After every run, no matter if my legs are hurting or not, I need to roll my feet over the frozen water ball. Doing this will loosen my muscles up and ice them down at the same time. 5 minutes per foot, and then I can also roll it over my legs to soothe my calves, quads, and hams.

I was in pure heaven. I was amazed at how good the ice bottle made my feet feel. Live saver!

2011-02-27

Next week’s training schedule

Feb 27 – March 5

Sunday: Hot Vinyasa
Monday: Rest Day
Tuesday: 5 miles
Wednesday: Hot Vinyasa
Thursday: Track Workout 2
Friday: 3 miles
Saturday: Team Run 8 miles

1 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean February 27, 2011 at 8:54 am

maybe you need a foam roller?!

2 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit February 27, 2011 at 9:04 am

I agree with Lindsay… the water bottle is great for feet, but the foam roller is where it’s at. I love mine. I don’t know how I would live without it! Great work though Steph :)

3 Lynn February 27, 2011 at 9:21 am

I love my Stick Runner’s Massage Tool. I use it after all my hard runs. It works great! Especailly on my legs. http://www.thestick.com

Happy running!

4 Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) February 27, 2011 at 9:30 am

I have to run 6 miles this coming weekend…the longest distance of my life. :)
Congrats on the training! I need to probably invest in a foam roller or stick thingy. I also need to get a belt that holds water I think. So much gear! :)

5 Adriana February 27, 2011 at 10:38 am

I’m running a 10K later today… must put water bottle in freezer now for when I get back home. What a great tip!

6 mandy schneider February 27, 2011 at 11:25 am

Wow! how cool..I love running but I’m doing something wrong because when I get about half a mile my left leg starts to hurt so bad but it could be that I’m over 200LBS trying to run LOL! but hey the BL guys and girls do it all day long everyday. I get so bummed.. I wish we had trainers for running here..I love your blog and I can’t wait to try that scrumptious looking Carrot Cake..
Mandy

7 Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle February 28, 2011 at 7:39 am

A frozen water bottle is genius! I have always just used a tennis ball to roll out my foot but having something cold would probably soothe them even more.