No Sharing Required

April 30, 2011

Sharing is something we’re taught at a young age.

It’s supposed to be the “right thing to do”.

When I was growing up I shared my toys, my bath time, my bedroom, and my food with my younger brother. Luckily, since he’s a boy and I’m a girl, we never had to share clothes.

Sharing is supposed to make you feel good. And most of the time it does. I would consider my self a good sharer until dessert comes along.

DSC_0044-1

I don’t really like to share dessert. I actually have a little bit of anxiety about it.

I panic that someone is going to eat the edge of the crust, or get more frosting, or take bigger bites than me. I notice that when I share dessert I go in to this weird trance. The only thing I can think about it the dessert, and I’m calculating how many bites there are, and where to dig my fork next.

It’s ridiculous.

DSC_0055-1

My solution…

…single serving Blueberry Pie in a Jar!

These jars come out of the oven bubbling away, overflowing with blueberry juice that gives the pie it’s own sapphire bling. (Very reminiscent of a special Royal piece of jewelry).

The best part about these cute little jar pies is that there is no sharing required. Period.

DSC_0070

Not to mention I now have a plethora of individual pies stocked up in my fridge!

One for each day of the week!

And they’re mine!! All mine!

DSC_0088-1

Blueberry Pie in a Jar
adapted from Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

For the Crust
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 sticks very cold butter, cut in to tbsp size pieces
1/3 c very cold vegetable shortening, cut in to 4 pieces
3-5 tbsp ice cold water

Put the flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor fitted with a metal blade, pulse just to combine the ingredients. Drop in the butter and shortening and pulse only until the butter and shortening are cut into the flour. Don’t overdo the mixing- what you’re aiming for is to have some pieces the size of fat green peas and others the size of barley. Pulsing the machine on and off, gradually add the water, a tbsp at a time – add a little water and pulse once, add some more water, pulse again and keep going that way. Then use a few long pulses to get the water into the flour. If, after a dozen or so pulses, the dough doesn’t look evenly moistened or form soft curds, pulse in as much of the remaining water as necessary, or even a few drops more, to get a dough that will stick together when pinched. Big pieces of butter are fine. Scrape the dough out of the bowl and onto a work surface.
Divide the dough in half. Gather each half into a ball, flatten each ball into a disk and wrap each half in plastic. Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour before rolling

To Roll Out the Dough: Spray each mason jar with non-stick spray. Roll your dough out just to get it flat. Then tear of pieces of the dough and place inside the jar, flattening it against the jar itself. You want a very thin layer of crust. Keep adding more pieces of dough and flattening with your fingers until the whole inside of the jar is lined with pie crust. Using the lid to the canning jar cut a circle topper for your pie, making sure to cut a hole in the center of the circle for the hot air to escape.

If you’ve got time, slide the rolled out dough into the fridge for about 20 minutes to rest and firm up.

For the Blueberry Pie
2 1/2 pints of fresh blueberries (I used a 16 oz bag of frozen blueberries)
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
Pinch of salt
Coarsely grated lime zest of 1/2 a lime
Squirt of fresh lime juice
2 tbsp milk beaten with 1 tbsp water, for milk wash
Sugar for dusting
6 8oz canning jars

Getting Ready to Bake: Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Put the berries in a large bowl and gently stir in the sugar, flour, salt, zest and juice; let sit for about 5 minutes. Taste the filling and add more sugar and/or lemon juice, if needed.
Remove the pie jars and top crust from the refrigerator. Give the filling a last stir and turn it into the crust.

Bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling.

1 Charlie April 30, 2011 at 11:03 pm

When I have dessert in a restaurant, I hate sharing because I know there won’t be more. But I share more of my baked goods than I eat. Because I can always make more.
And also because I make way too much to eat! :P

These pies in a jar look delicious! I’ve been craving blueberries lately. Delicious wild blueberries that come out in the summer :) . I’ll have to wait…

2 sarah April 30, 2011 at 11:12 pm

We have a pie shop in our neighborhood that sells pies in a jar. It’s the perfect solution for those of us who get dessert anxiety. So glad to now have a recipe to try at home. Thanks for sharing!!

3 Finding Frenchie May 1, 2011 at 6:01 am

These are SO adorable! I’d like to try them with summer peaches too!

4 Belinda @zomppa May 1, 2011 at 6:26 am

No need to share these for sure – they are perfectly delightful!

5 Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen May 1, 2011 at 8:16 am

These are ADORABLE and such a great idea since blueberry pie is so addictive :) I just stumbled upon your blog and love it so far…your writing style is great!

6 Chrissy May 1, 2011 at 8:33 am

SO cute!! I love anything that comes in a individual portion.

7 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 1, 2011 at 8:50 am

Very nice! I’m planning to make jar desserts this week! This looks deeeelicious [I'm not good at sharing either]

8 Lori May 1, 2011 at 9:25 am

I love this! It makes it so difficult for someone else to get their spoon into the pie! Looks wonderful!

9 Hester aka The Chef Doc May 1, 2011 at 10:44 am

Hahaha, good for you, Steph! These individual pies are darling and also help with portion-control… if one can will him or herself not to eat another jar ;-)

10 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean May 1, 2011 at 11:15 am

i’ve gotta get some of those jars!

11 Fallon May 1, 2011 at 11:17 am

Yummy!! Such a great idea. I’m kind of the same way with sharing dessert, if it is ice cream or chocolate something… I want it all!! But other then that I prefer to share because that means less calories for me and I’m happy I didn’t over do it food wise!

12 Celia May 1, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Haha, I hate sharing too…but sometimes I just take the full pan and call it an “individual portion.” ;-) I really love that the acid in these comes from lime – a cool switchup from the usual blueberry-lemon combo!

13 Sandra May 1, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Wonderful idea, now I’m thinking of all endless possibilities. I think you’ve started something here!

14 torviewtoronto May 1, 2011 at 6:30 pm

looks wonderfully delicious
haven’t had this but looks yummy

15 Happy When Not Hungry May 1, 2011 at 7:02 pm

These are sooo fun!! How creative! I definitely have to try these. They are perfect for a picnic or bbq!

16 kitchenarian May 1, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Such a great idea. I love it!

17 susan May 1, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I’ve been wanting to make pie in a jar! Thanks for the recipe – I love love love blueberries.

18 Lindsey@Lindselicious May 1, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Aww love pies in a jar! Your blueberry pie looks so good, LOL I like these for the same reason. (No sharing!!!)

19 Hester Casey - Alchemy May 2, 2011 at 4:22 am

“Sharing is caring” – except when these lovely pies are up for grabs in which case it is second helpings all the way!

20 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 2, 2011 at 8:20 am

There seems to be a high filling to crust ratio in making these jar pies. How do they measure up to a normal piece of pie? I’m a big crust fan so I’m just curious if they’re too filling-y.

was Dorie’s recipe meant to be made in a jar or was that idea all your own?

21 Steph May 2, 2011 at 12:06 pm

There’s a good amount of crust, it’s kinda up to you how much you put in there. I’m a crust freak, and I thought this was perfect. Dorie’s recipe is just a standard pie recipe that I changed up :)

22 lauren May 2, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Oh….my…..yum. The possibilities with this can are endless. Fabulous for summer.

23 Jesse May 2, 2011 at 12:52 pm

i’ve been wanting to try this jar method for awhile now, but i keep getting scared. these blueberry pies look so wonderful though, and should not require any sharing:)

24 Kerry May 2, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I’m loving all these desserts baked in a jar that are popping up all over the place. They’re so summery! These look delicious. The only better than blueberry pie is blueberry pie you don’t have to share! :)

25 The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time May 2, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Just so you know, when kids come along; that fear of sharing will go out the window. Sometimes I sob uncontrollably; inside; when I give Dudette the last, best, most crispy piece of crust that I’ve been saving for the very last bite. But she asks for it.

So, these individual jar pies, they’re for me. I will hoard them and hide them and eat them alone. The WHOLE thing.

26 Kat @ Cupcake Kat May 2, 2011 at 8:19 pm

This is such a creative idea

27 yummychunklet May 2, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I love this idea! And the blueberry pie looks delicious!

28 Sara May 2, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Oh how much I love the idea of not having to share pies anymore. Brilliant!

29 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking May 3, 2011 at 11:37 am

Good thing there’s no sharing required for these lovely little blueberry pies, because I don’t think I COULD! They look so delicious and are definitely one of the more creative ideas I’ve seen lately! Thanks for sharing, Steph. :)

30 briarrose May 3, 2011 at 6:06 pm

So cute…I love the individual servings. :)

People share desserts?! What is this madness. I’m lucky I weened myself off of making sure I get the biggest slice….lol.

31 Annie May 5, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I sometimes secretly hate sharing dessert with my husband when we go out to eat. Sure, it’s romantic but I want it all to myself! Your individual pies are such a great idea!

32 kita May 5, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I’ve been loving the idea of desserts in individual jars or cups – a) its adorable and b) I think we all agree that desserts are rather hard to share! These look sooo yummy and I don’t even care for pie! I would certainly give these a try.

33 Liz May 6, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Oh, my!!! These look fabulous, Steph! Love individual servings…and the jars are perfect :)

34 mommymommymommy June 25, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I found this at BFB’s blog, which I just discovered. We went blueberry picking today…this looks like something my kids and I should give a try!

35 Deboarh March 18, 2014 at 7:20 am

Ok we all love our family and friends but we don’t like to share. I am the type who offers, hoping no one will take me up on it and feeling a bit annoyed when they do!!. I also love blueberry pie and would love to make some in jars. Then if I must share, at least I have one whole jar to myself. Also if I don’t eat it all at once I know it’s there when I go back for more. This is perfect and I intend to try it. I have blueberry pie filling in the pantry so I just need to get some mason jars. mmmm I can’t wait to try this. I wonder if I could make a small one in a coffee mug? hmmmmm might be worth a try.