The “I’m Always Right” Burger

June 21, 2011

Lucas: “Babe what are you making for dinner”?”

Me: “Well, um. (kind of whispering) Turkey burgers.”

Lucas: “What?”

Me: “Turkey burgers.”

Lucas: “Oh” with a look of disappointment.

Me: “I was walking around the store and just couldn’t think of anything” as I get defensive.

Lucas: “I just like the beef.”

Me: “I don’t know what to tell you.”

DSC_0003

Of the two of us, I would have to say I’m the “healthier” one.

I love to trade turkey for beef.
I prefer skim milk over 2%.
I like egg whites instead of eggs.
I’ll put spinach in my smoothies.
Brown rice tortillas are my new favorite thing.

DSC_0006

Sometimes I have to play tricks on Lucas.

I feel bad for doing it. I know he’d eat anything I make him. But I still get nervous about admitting my substitutions.

So, I keep them to myself.

DSC_0014

And when they come out looking like this, I don’t think I really have anything to feel guilty about.

Amazing grill marks.

Thick, juicy patties.

And the familiar smell of summer burgers on the grill.

DSC_0013

To get Lucas a little more excited about my turkey swap out I set up a huge condiments bar.

When I called him to the kitchen to make his plate I pretended like we were at Burger King and I asked him what kind of combo he wanted.

I told him I was having the #7 (7 just sounded like a good number, so that’s what I went with). He told me he wanted the Hook and Ladder. I just stared at him…the Hook and Ladder is one of the most popular subs at our restaurant, Firehouse Subs. Sometimes this guy likes to push my buttons.

I went on building my #7 and while Lucas starting piling on his toppings.

DSC_0019

I waited patiently as Lucas took his first bite.

He glanced over at me. Took another bite and smiled.

Lucas: “This is so good! I think this is one of the best burgers I’ve ever had!”

Me: “I wish you would just trust me sometimes and let me cook.”

…10 minutes later, Lucas’ plate is cleared.

Lucas: “Uh, babe, where did you put the buns…I’m gonna have another one.”

(Since Lucas loved these so much…and you will too…I’m entering these burgers in the Get Grillin’ Event with Family Fresh Cooking and Cookin’ Canuck, sponsored by Ile de France CheeseRösle,Emile HenryRouxbe and ManPans. Fingers crossed that I win!)

DSC_0025-2

Turkey Burgers
Steph’s Bite by Bite Original Recipe

Ingredients
1 package ground turkey
1/3 c small diced onion
1/3 c small diced green bell pepper
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
2 tsp onion powder
1.5 tsp garlic salt

Directions
Preheat your grill to a medium high heat.

Mix all burger ingredients together in large bowl. Divide mixture in to 4 patties, shaping with your hands.

Place patties on grill, grilling about 5 or 6 minutes on each side.

Remove from grill and top with whatever toppings your heart desires.

1 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts June 21, 2011 at 7:38 am

LOVE Turkey Burgers. Depending on the seasoning you can make them taste very much like a beef burger (try 1 Tbls ranch dressing seasoning mix, 1 Tbls Onion soup mix). My husband goes along for the ride as well!

2 RavieNomNoms June 21, 2011 at 7:41 am

Haha boys are too funny aren’t they? I had the same problem with my boyfriend when I first made turkey burgers. I am the same as you, I totally prefer skim to 2%, egg whites to egg, and so on. So when I told him I was going to make turkey burgers he turned his nose up and said it was going to be dry and gross. To his amazement, much like Lucas’, he loved it and now asked for them on a regular basis! haha What would they do without us huh?

3 Tina@flourtrader June 21, 2011 at 7:44 am

This will tell you that the perception of turkey burgers and the actual taste are two different things. Glad your husband came over to the healthy side! These look awesome.

4 Peggy June 21, 2011 at 7:49 am

I love turkey burgers! We make a mean teriyaki one that never fails to please!

I just love when the men in our lives are surprised by meals like this! Hopefully I can convince Andy to like grilled Tempeh later on this week =)

5 Erin June 21, 2011 at 8:07 am

Most of the time I eat healthier than Brent, but we are bad influences on eachother regardless. Thankfully he doesn’t cringe when I say I am making turkey burgers. Especially if they look as delicious as these.

6 Mrs. Fish June 21, 2011 at 9:02 am

I always try to make healthier dishes for my husband, and he’s always a little bit disappointed. I love turkey burgers, but he hasn’t really warmed up to them. I’m making black bean burgers today, this could be an experience!

7 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking June 21, 2011 at 9:43 am

Now that’s one mouthwatering turkey burger! Gotta give these a try sometime this summer. Thanks for sharing, Steph! You always have the most amazingly yummy looking grilled food on your blog. :)

8 Lindsey@Lindselicious June 21, 2011 at 9:48 am

Cute story steph! Boys… Sometimes I white lie and tell my BF things are healthier than they are. Now he is convinced that vegan cookies are good for you! LOL. Love the seasoning in your burger, the balsamic is a great add!

9 The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time June 21, 2011 at 12:15 pm

First off…..spinach in your smoothies? That is just WRONG! (Of course, I’ve never tried it.)

I do love turkey burgers though. I actually don’t mind the fact that they taste a little different than beef. That’s what it’s all about, right? Your recipe looks outstanding and like it would enhance the flavor of the turkey. I can’t wait to try it. Kudos to Lucas for being willing to give it a go, even if it was grudgingly.

10 Emily June 21, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Those look awesome. Turkey burgers can be tough to get right, for some reason they turn out better at home rather than in a restaurant!

I made turkey quinoa meatloaf last night and it even passed the boyfriend test – I was surprised!

11 Cookin' Canuck June 21, 2011 at 1:29 pm

That is one perfect turkey burger! We often make our burgers with turkey meat too and you’re right – we rarely miss the beef. I’d love if you’d consider sharing this in the online Get Grillin’ & summer bbq event I’m hosting right now (it’s entree week).

12 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 21, 2011 at 2:33 pm

bahaha sounds like Kevin and I. He always wants beef.

13 Danielle@Runs With Spatulas June 21, 2011 at 3:11 pm

These look so much more flavorful than your everyday plain & dry turkey burgers. No wonder Lucas loved them!

14 Sandra June 21, 2011 at 5:35 pm

A girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do. They look very moist.

15 Veronica June 21, 2011 at 9:15 pm

This made me laugh! Don’t feel bad about tricking him, most of us have to if we want them to eat what we’re cooking. But I usually tell him what I did after he finished, to point out that he does actually like something he didn’t think he did, so that he will be more willing to try new things. It’s working! And your burgers look dang good, girl.

16 Marla June 24, 2011 at 6:16 am

Thanks so much for linking this great looking burger into Get Grillin’ :)

17 Steph June 24, 2011 at 11:23 am

Thank you for hosting such a great event!

18 kita June 26, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I just figured out how I can really come visit you! Firehouse subs! They don’t exist around here and Handsome loves them (he had them when he lived in FL with the Air Forve). He mentions his longing for a Firehouse sub at least once a week. Now we just need to convince him there isn’t one between here and there!

And he also hates when I make turkey burgers – and I try to hide it too. This entire post has me rather amused with the similarities!

19 Alisha January 23, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Found your recipe on Pinterest & made it for dinner this evening. We grilled zucchini because it looked good too, and I think the two flavors went really well together because my kids ate it all. My 7 year old told my husband that these are even better than regular burgers, & my 3 year old finished his dinner for the first time in a long time! :) Thanks for the recipe. We will definitely have to make these a regular.

20 Steph January 24, 2012 at 4:21 pm

That’s so awesome! So glad that you guys liked them!!