Apple Pie Oats in a Jar

August 26, 2011

It’s Friday!!

The ends of a week are now bittersweet for me. Sweet because it’s Friday and that means tomorrow’s Saturday and I don’t have to work. Bitter because each Friday means the end of the week, giving me one less week of wedding planning. Guess I really need to update this page huh?)

DSC_0013

I’m trying to remain calm and tell myself it’ll all be ok. But I am stressing!

It seems like each day my “To Do” list gets longer and longer. I keep telling myself that as long as Lucas and I show up (and the officiant) the rest is just fluff.

We’re scrambling to get our invitations out. But I think we’ve come up with a pretty awesome game plan. We’re making our cards using a free template from Wedding Chicks. My dad is taking our engagement photos tonight to use with our cards. And everything should be ready to mail by Monday.

DSC_0010

On top of all this scrambling, I’m trying to get a little bit buffer (buffer?) for my wedding day. With only two months to tone up I’ve gotta make sure that I reduce my cake snacking and cookie munching to a minimum.

All fitness experts say the best way to firm up is to track what you eat and make sure you eat a healthy breakfast.

For me, that means oats. And oats mean in a jar.

DSC_0016

If you’ve never tried Oats in a Jar, you must do it, and do it now!

Hearty oats are mixed with milk and yogurt, left in a jar overnight, and turn in to this thick, cold, creamy jar of breakfast.

You might be thinking this sounds gross and disgusting. But don’t knock it til you try it!

It leaves me full for hours…and keeps me from having the one little bite of a brownie, that ends up turning in to a huge chunk of brownie.

DSC_0021

Apple Pie Oats in a Jar

1/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup plain lassi (or yogurt)
1/3 cup almond milk
1 teaspoon chai seeds
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1/2 an apple diced

Mix all ingredients in a mason jar and refrigerate overnight or at least 3 hours. Top with granola, peanut butter, maple syrup drizzle, and enjoy.

1 Meaghan O'Connor @ My Spoonful of Inspiration August 26, 2011 at 9:02 am

Yum- apple pie for breakfast? That’s my kind of meal. :) Happy friday!

2 susan August 26, 2011 at 9:40 am

that sounds so good! I’m going to try it tomorrow!

3 Kelly August 26, 2011 at 9:43 am

Yummy, this looks so delicious! What a perfect breakfast! :)

4 Claire August 26, 2011 at 9:47 am

I want to try these!! I love apple pie and i love oats, this sounds like my kinda breakfast

5 Sinead August 26, 2011 at 9:50 am

From one fairly recent Bride to another – relax! Try to enjoy these last few months, it sounds like you’re in a great place and with family helping that makes all the difference. I was very lucky, a good friend of mine, one of my Bridesmaids, is a personal trainer and took me out 3 times a week for 6 wks leading up to the wedding – I felt great and was toned for all the workouts – though still very much me! My memories of the day are full of warmth and joy. I wish you all the very best for a happy and lovely wedding!

6 RavieNomNoms August 26, 2011 at 10:29 am

Don’t stress too much girlie!! You will be fine and the wedding will be perfect! Like you said all you have to do is worry about you and Lucas and that is it.

Your oats in a jar look very scrumptious. I may have to try this out very very soon! And btdubs, don’t worry about a brownie here and there, you look great my dear!

7 Alida August 26, 2011 at 10:43 am

Oats in a Jar – what a fun idea! I have oats every morning and the thought of apple pie oats sounds delish.

8 Kankana August 26, 2011 at 11:53 am

i am sure the wedding plan will work out amazingly well :) This pie in a jar can’t get any prettier than this.

9 Emily @ Life on Food August 26, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I had this for the first time earlier this summer when I couldn’t possible eat hot oats in the hot humid weather. I didn’t really care for them. I much prefer the hot variety. I don’t know why I don’t like it…all of the ingredients are some of my favorites. Cold or hot oats are a great way to start the day!

10 The Farmers Wife August 26, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Steph, I may be out of the newlywed part of life, but I well remember the stage you are in now. By best piece of advice, make the most of this time as the memories of planning our wedding are still so precious to me, and don’t forget the marriage license… haha! We had some friends who overlooked this important detail until after their rehearsal dinner when the pastor asked for it and they made a quick run to Vegas to get married and barely made it back 15 minutes before their real wedding was supposed to take place… haha! And I can see why you like this recipe, it looks FANTASTIC!

11 Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. August 26, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Wedding planning can be so stressful, but all you can do is take it one day at a time and make a list and prioritize which things need to be done first! Try to enjoy this time though, because it’s such a special and exciting time! Btw, these oats in a jar look like the perfect breakfast!

12 Ann August 26, 2011 at 10:52 pm

That sounds delicious! I’d have to skip the cinnamon because of allergies, but I can work around that! I hope you post a pic of the invitations!

13 Mike@The Culinary Lens August 27, 2011 at 6:11 am

A wonderful healthy take on apple pie. I would. love this right now

14 Liz August 27, 2011 at 7:06 am

What a healthy, filling breakfast! I hope you’ll share your invites with us all…SO exciting!!!!

15 Kita August 27, 2011 at 5:28 pm

As much as you know I don’t dig on breakfast – I am actually really bummed I don’t have yogurt or almond milk in the fridge so I could try this tomorrow. This has really peaked my curiosity!

16 torviewtoronto and createwithmom August 27, 2011 at 11:11 pm

innovative pie looks wonderful

17 Cristina August 28, 2011 at 7:45 am

Love the idea of this oats in a jar. Sounds like a healthy comfort food.

I hope you’re feeling less stress. It will all get done. Enjoy the rest of the weekend and congrats on the Top 9 today! ;)

18 Sandi August 28, 2011 at 10:05 am

Nice pic & congrats on Top 9!
I do a version of this too, very filling!

19 Deanna August 28, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Yum! I just put mine in the refrigerator for breakfast tomorrow…I can’t wait!

20 briarrose August 29, 2011 at 11:40 am

Such a great way to eat oats and start the day. :)

21 Lindsey@Lindselicious August 29, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I have been meaning to try Oats in a Jar all summer. Ack! Time is running out- thanks for the delicious reminder. =)

22 Katie May 7, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I did a variation of this recipe, but have to say thank you for the idea!!!

23 Steph May 8, 2012 at 4:09 pm

YAY!! So glad you tried it and made it your own!