Pumpkin Spice Latte

September 27, 2011

I promise I’ll get off my pumpkin kick soon.

It’s just because it’s the beginning of the season and it’s something new and exciting.

But until then, the pumpkin kick continues!

If you anything about me, it’s that I love coffee. Especially Starbucks coffee. Yes, I’m a sucker for the high priced whipped cream fully loaded ten word coffees.

I can’t help it. But my wallet is begging for a break.

Especially with the new fall line up of drinks. I just can’t stop myself.

So I found a way to compromise. G.E.N.I.U.S.

Now I can have Pumpkin Spice Lattes every morning. And make my wallet happy. Love compromise.

And I got to debut my new kitchen towels!

Super cute!

Now waking up at 5:15 am isn’t so bad! Eer. Well. No, it’s still bad.

It would be way better if I could wake up at 7:30, drink my latte, watch some Gossip Girl on Netflix. Sigh.

Well, we know that’s not happening, so I gotta make the best with what I got. And this is as good as it gets!

I’m thinking about just sticking a straw in the container and goin’ all in.

I swear, this syrup is super addicting.

I want to add it to my ice cream sundaes, drizzle it on toast, scoop it with my peanut butter, dip my chocolate bars in to it.

Would you judge me?

Pumpkin Spice Lattes
adapted from Bakergirl

1/2 cup pumpkin puree (fresh or canned)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon all spice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook over medium low heat. Make sure to stir it every so often so that the sugar doesn’t burn.

Let mixture boil on low until it becomes thick and syrupy, for about 15 minutes. The mixture will reduce a little and should resembles the texture of maple syrup.

Store in your refrigerator until your ready to use it!

To make pumpkin spice latte:

Heat 3 tablespoons of syrup with 1/3 cup of milk in a medium bowl for about a minute and a half. Remove from microwave and with a whisk beat mixture until frothy. Pour frothy pumpkin milk in to your coffee cup and finish it off with fresh brewed coffee and whipped cream.

1 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts September 27, 2011 at 6:39 am

I don’t like coffee. I wish I did with drinks like this out there. Could you use that syrup in some hot apple cider for a different fall drink?

2 Steph September 28, 2011 at 2:27 pm

You could totally do that! I even tried it in iced tea and it was pretty good!

3 The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time September 27, 2011 at 7:41 am

You and I are going to have to sit down and talk about this whole coffee thing. Maybe over a cup of coffee? What you’re drinking is NOT coffee. Coffee is rich, strong and black. No sugar, no cream and definitely no fru-fruness.

That being said; I’m loving that pumpkin syrup and can see myself using it for all kinds of other things. Can you imagine making vanilla ice cream and swirling that in at then end? Wow.

4 Steph September 28, 2011 at 2:27 pm

LOL!! Ok, ok, fancy coffee that’s not so coffeeish, better? 🙂 And yes, I can totally imagine this heated up (wink, wink) and poured on vanilla ice cream!

5 Amy's Cooking Adventures September 27, 2011 at 7:57 am

You had me a latte! I’ve seen several of these recipes going around lately, but this one is my favorite–it has more pumpkin and less sugar than others I’ve seen. I’m going to stop dragging my feet & finally make this!

6 Steph September 28, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Yes!! I cut back the sugar by half…and it’s till pretty sweet, you might be able to cut out another 1/4 cup

7 Amy's Cooking Adventures September 27, 2011 at 7:57 am

Oh – and way cute hand towels!

8 RavieNomNoms September 27, 2011 at 8:49 am

The hand towels are amazing!! So cute Steph 🙂

Your latte looks SO amazing. I am not a coffee drinker anymore. I totally converted from being a coffee drinker to being a tea drinker. But this is one latte I think I could go back to being a coffee drinker for a day/week hehe 😉

9 ceecee September 27, 2011 at 10:11 am

OH this looks sooo good!

10 Kelly September 27, 2011 at 10:24 am

I LOVE pumpkin spiced lattes, this looks amazing! This is why I love Fall so much! 🙂

11 Elyse @The Cultural Dish September 27, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Wow this looks so delicious! I am definitely going to do this so I can save my wallet from hating me too 🙂

12 Tina@flourtrader September 27, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Forget Starbucks! I can now have a wonderful fall coffee at home thanks to you. Somehow, a hot latte tastes so much better when you are in your pajamas! Great post.

13 Liz September 27, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Hooray! You cracked the code!!! And I LOVE your tea towels…how sweet 🙂

14 Maggie @ Vittles and Bits September 27, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Ahhh! Looove the PSL at Starbucks, I must try these!! Your tea towels are super cute as well 🙂

15 Becky September 27, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Your Pumpkin Spice Latte will hit the spot on these cool Fall mornings. Must make one soon. I even have a can of pumpkin in the pantry. Great recipe and I love the tea towels.

16 kitchenarian September 27, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Every time I go to Starbucks this time of year, I always think I am going to order one of those pumpkin spice drinks and then I order my usual non-fat no-foam latte. Now I can make it at home. Can’t wait to try!

17 Lindsey@Lindselicious September 28, 2011 at 1:12 am

Ooooh so smart! This sounds great- I am addicted to the PSL!!!

18 Kita September 28, 2011 at 7:41 am

OMG look at those kitchen towels! Total envy going on right now!

19 Russell at Chasing Delicious September 28, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Yum! I love all things coffee and the idea of making my own pumpkin spice lattes sounds delicious. And no need to rush getting off the pumpkin kick!

20 Dana October 6, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I can’t wait to try this! Thank you for sharing! 🙂

21 Elies_Lie October 6, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Hi step…
tq for sharing this recipe with us… with me – the “can-live-without-coffe” girl!
we have the same issue then?! I Do Loves Starbucks Too!!
Tq for makes my wallet happy to… a great way to have a morning wakeup! haha ha 🙂
I found ur site from erin at dinnerdishesanddesser , as I said to erin both of ur recipe today I’m not bookmarking… I’m write it down at my kitchen-diary-journal now!
Thx again step… nice to know u! 😉

22 Monica October 9, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I am curious how many 3 Tbsp servings this makes. Also, how much coffee do you add to the milk/syrup mixture? I’m guessing I will probably bump up the milk because I am not a huge fan of coffee but I like a bit in a latte or mocha.

23 Steph October 10, 2011 at 7:39 am

It makes a lot! I was able to fill up two 6 oz jars with it! I like probably added a cup of coffee, but I don’t have an exact measurement. I just added the syrup to my cup, poured in my desired amount of creamer and then filled the rest of my mug with coffee 🙂 Hope that helps!

24 Katie February 2, 2012 at 3:21 pm

You could make a steamer, which is just hot milk with a flavored syrup in it.