Cinnamon Roll Cake

October 3, 2011

Monday. do doo do

Monday morning. do doo do do doo

Yes, it’s our favorite that time of the week again. You know, the beginning, the start, the first day of the week.

Monday.

Does is seem like Mondays come around faster than any other day? I think they do. I swear just ten minutes ago I was locking my office door on Friday night and celebrating the beginning of the weekend.

And now here I am back in my work clothes.

Frustrating.

And we know what happens when I get frustrated…I eat sugar. I wish I could have a different vice.

I would almost prefer a shopping addiction, a love for cheesy romance novels, or an obsession with American Idol, over an addiction to sweets. Wait. WHAT?! Now that I’m repeating that to myself I’m having second thoughts about that.

While sugar may not be my thighs’ BFF it is my heart’s BFF. And as much as I want to say that I would give up sugar, or cut back on sugar, we know that that is just not going to happen.

Lucas asked me today why I always make sweets for the blog and not post more dinner or entrée foods. I told him that it’s because it’s dark when we eat and I can’t get good pictures. I.LIE.

It’s because I don’t want to. Sweet treats are on my mind 24/7. All the other courses are just background music to me.

And again, sweet treats help me to function properly. Like on Mondays. When all I want to do is sit on a couch and do nothing, but instead I go and sit at a desk for 8 hours. While people yell at me. Yay for having a “grown up” job.

Yeah, sweets are necessary. Cinnamon Roll Cake is necessary.

At all times.

Fluffy, light cake studded with buttery, cinnamony, pecan jewels, and topped with a sweet drizzle of heaven. Got your attention?

If you’re anything like me and you need a kick start to brighten up your Monday morning, then this cake is for you. You can thank me later!

Cinnamon Roll Cake

6 tablespoons chopped walnuts

For the icing:

1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2-3 tablespoons milk

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a round cake pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt, brown sugar, and baking powder. In a separate small bowl, combine the milk, egg, pumpkin spice syrup and vanilla. Beat into the dry ingredients until well combined. Slowly beat in the melted butter. Pour batter into prepared pan.

In a large bowl, mix the melted butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and walnuts until well combined. Drop evenly over cake batter by the tablespoonsful and use a knife to marble/swirl through the cake.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out nearly clean from center. Set on a cooling rack to cool for 10 minutes.

Combine all icing ingredients in a bowl and whisk until combined. You want the icing to be a little thick so you get a thicker drizzle, but if it’s too thick add a little more milk. Drizzle icing over entire cake. Cut in to slices and serve.

1 Deborah October 3, 2011 at 8:03 am

mmm, this looks so delicious!!

2 The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time October 3, 2011 at 8:11 am

I’m so, so happy that I don’t have a sweets vice. Mine is the salty/grease vice. I’d definitely trade that out for one of the others you mentioned (except American Idol ::shudder::).

That being said, I’m surrounded by sweets lovers here so I have to make treats on a constant basis. Since they both love cinnamon rolls, this is now on the docket of things I need to try sooner than later. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

3 Lacy October 3, 2011 at 8:11 am

oh man! wish i had a slice of this cake right now! it would definitely make this monday a whole lot better!

4 Kristin October 3, 2011 at 9:00 am

Looks amazing! I cant wait to make this!

5 Susie October 3, 2011 at 9:25 am

This sounds perfect I want a slice with my coffee this morning!!!! I tell my husband I can’t get good dinner pictures because it’s dark all the time now lol, and that I will be baking sweets until Seattle gets sunshine again 🙂 I also love sweets so it just works out that Seattle is grey for 9 months.

6 Danielle @ Runs With Spatulas October 3, 2011 at 9:27 am

Dangerous. And delicious. I want some. 🙂

7 Miriam @ Overtime Cook October 3, 2011 at 11:43 am

Yum! I love cinnamon recipes. Looks so good, I think I’m going to try this. 🙂

8 RavieNomNoms October 3, 2011 at 11:43 am

This looks awesome!! I mean really. I always love posting sweet things too. People enjoy them more I think haha. I know I do.

Your cake is like sinful to me because cinnamon rolls are by far one of my most favorite things to eat. They remind me of Christmas and eating them warm on Christmas morning. This cake would be gone in about…3.4 seconds in my house haha 😉

9 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts October 3, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I am so addicted to sugar and sweets as well! I could eat them pretty much all day every day! I love this cake! My cinnamon loving son would love it too. Sounds a treat will be made for him soon 🙂

10 Tina@flourtrader October 3, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Mornings are so much better with a little bit of cinnamon! Skip the cinnamon rolls-I will go right to the cake, especially as delicious as this looks. Great post.

11 Becky October 3, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I love cinnamon in anything, and your Cinnamon Roll Cake fits the bill. I’m trying to cut back on sugar, but at least I can drool over your pictures.

12 Ana Helena Campbell October 3, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Love all the ingredients. Yummy. Thanks for sharing.

13 Carolyn October 3, 2011 at 7:05 pm

This is a cake to brighten up the worst, dreary, rainy, miserable sort of Monday. This cake is awesome!

14 Happy When Not Hungry October 3, 2011 at 7:22 pm

This cake looks awesome and perfect for a Monday!!!

15 Lindsey@Lindselicious October 3, 2011 at 8:37 pm

OMG I literally just drooled looking at all these pics. Buzzing and bookmarking!

16 Kita October 3, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I would love to wake up to a platter of these any morning – but especially a Monday morning (which is supposed to be my day off) when rain has made it a no work day for Handsome (tooootally throws off my cooking/cleaning mojo). See, I need this cake (can you tell he has the day off) 😉

17 Vibey October 4, 2011 at 8:11 am

Dessert for breakfast! Perfect!

18 Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn October 4, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Oh wow this is definitely a recipe for me 🙂
That looks absolutely delicious!

19 Britne @ Shabbott's Habits October 4, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Oh yum! This would be perfect alongside a nice piping cup of chai tea for dessert 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

20 Charlie October 5, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Cinnamon roll cake! The title made me drool, and the pictures made me drool again ;).

21 Amalia October 6, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I’m definitely trying this cake out! It’s going in my bookmarks for sure! Thanks for a wonderful recipe, have a great day 🙂

22 Colleen Bierstine October 7, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Oh.
My God.
Cinnamon roll…CAKE?
You are a genius my friend. You put my favorite breakfast treat into a flippin’ cake. I need to make this…

23 Abby October 30, 2011 at 7:54 am

is there any other flour you can substitue for the whole wheat flour?