Carrot Cake Oatmeal

October 4, 2011

Do you ever feel like you’re stuck in a rut?

Whether it’s your job, your workout routine, your daily meals, the clothes you wear everyday, the TV shows you watch, the same route you walk the dog, the way you apply your makeup.

Well I do. And actually I feel stuck in a rut with all of the above.

I’m such a creature of habit that I can almost tell you down to the minute what I do each day and exactly how I do it. Sometimes that can be a good thing, but lately it’s been kind of depressing.

Sometimes I ask myself, “Is this really my life? Am I making each day amazing. Am I truly happy with all points of my life?” And my answer is no.

NO, NO, NO.

I want more. I just don’t know how to get there.

I sometimes just feel like taking a huge risk and quitting my job and pursuing what I want to do. Like become a yoga instructor and personal trainer. Or become a food truck owner (although ABQ isn’t really a “food truck type” of city). Or work in the nutrition industry.

But then reality sets in and I realize that I can’t give up my healthcare and financial benefits that my current job offers me. (Spoiler alert for next year…especially if Lucas and I are gonna be trying to have a baby)

Maybe for now I should just stick to making small changes in my everyday routines and believe that those small changes will start to shape the way for bigger changes in my life. That’s my new motto: Small Changes will lead to big changes

The first small change I’m making is to my breakfast. I always rotate between the same three breakfasts. Gluten free waffles with fruit, overnight oats in a jar, or oatmeal. Made the same way. With the same ingredients. Blah, blah, blah.

So…today…it’s still oatmeal, but it’s CARROT CAKE OATMEAL! Tell me this doesn’t rock!!

Creamy oatmeal, studded with sweet carrots and dates, packed in to a nearly empty peanut butter jar. Best way to start the morning.

And it’s enough to start leading me to that road of change.

Carrot Cake Oatmeal
adapted from Oh She Glows

1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 banana, sliced
4 baby carrots, grated
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp allspice
1 tsp chai seeds
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 date, chopped

In a medium sized pot over medium heat add the oatmeal, water, coconut milk, and banana slices, bring to a low simmer. Add in all of your spices, carrots, and maple syrup, continue cooking on a low simmer.

At this point you want to whip this mixture with a fork so that as the oatmeal cooks the banana will start to break down and get thick. Cook your oatmeal for a total of 7-8 minutes on a low simmer until oatmeal is thick and creamy. Stir in the chai seeds and chopped date.

Remove from heat and pour in to a bowl. Garnish with granola.

1 The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time October 4, 2011 at 8:13 am

I like your new motto. It’s the forest through the trees thing, huh. I get the same way. Starting with changing just one meal is genius and something I could do too. Of course, I never eat breakfast so any change I make there would be positive.

I’m loving this oatmeal, especially with the hint of peanut butter that you’re getting. Dudette’s gonna love this one.

2 Steph October 5, 2011 at 11:55 am

Never eat breakfast? OMG I would die!!

3 Vibey October 4, 2011 at 8:24 am

Dammit! Just when you’d got me started on the idea of your cinnamon roll cake for brekkie!

4 Steph October 5, 2011 at 11:55 am

Ha ha!! This cracked me up and I love the term “brekkie”! Totally stealing it

5 Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 4, 2011 at 8:38 am

I am definitely a creature of habit. It can be hard to change. It’s great to start small, though! And I think carrot cake oatmeal is a fantastic place to start! Looks absolutely amazing 😀

6 artha October 4, 2011 at 9:55 am

Yum! I think subbing date syrup for the maple would be awesome too!

7 Steph October 5, 2011 at 11:54 am

Date syrup?!! Where do I get this?

8 Ravienomnoms October 4, 2011 at 10:56 am

I know what you mean. I am SO a creature of habit…everyone morning the same routine. Sometimes it is very good to have a structure but sometimes it makes you feel like you are in a rut. I try and do things on the weekend that make me break from the mold. So that way I don’t feel like I am “stuck”.

We must be on the same wavelength though! I just made carrot cake cupcakes! Yours is much healthier than mine haha. Looks great!

9 Steph October 5, 2011 at 11:54 am

That’s such a good idea! I even stick to my routine on the weekend, so that’s a good way to change it up a little without going too crazy

10 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts October 4, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I am such in a rut!! I know exactly what you mean. Changing breakfast is a good way to start. This looks great!

11 Britne @ Shabbott's Habits October 4, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I haven’t made oats in a jar yet. I keep seeing them EVERYWHERE. They do look amazing…and I DO lurve carrot cake. Maybe I’ll give it a go! Thanks for sharing.

12 Steph October 5, 2011 at 11:52 am

Oh my!! You have got to make OIAJ ASAP!! I meant it 🙂 They’re so darn good!

13 Taylor October 4, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I know exactly what you mean! I feel like sometimes I get so stuck in my routine that I am missing out on the exciting things in life. I’m glad I’m not the only one that feels this way 🙂 Can’t wait to switch up my breakfast to add some excitement to my mornings!

14 Steph October 5, 2011 at 11:52 am

It seems to come and go too. one month I’m fine, the next month I’m not :/

15 Erin October 5, 2011 at 9:53 am

This oatmeal does totally rock! And I understand about being in a rut. I went through a really creative phase not too long ago and now it’s all blah. Same routine all the time. But this weekend I am getting out with friends to run a 5K and then paint pottery, yay!

16 Steph October 5, 2011 at 11:51 am

Races always help the funky moods!!

17 Kita October 9, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Just read your Oprah post earlier today – so I know you’re headed in the right direction towards getting out of the funk. I hate when I feel like its time to change something – but it’s a true gut feeling and it usually means it is time to change! Whats the point of living if we aren’t rocking out every chance we can?
Ps. I totallly need to rock out with some of this oatmeal. It sounds awesome.

18 Steph October 10, 2011 at 7:39 am

I need to ROCK OUT more 🙂

19 Fresh and Foodie October 11, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Yum! Nice idea. I eat a lot of oatmeal so I’m definitely going to try this.

20 Lori Lynn October 15, 2011 at 5:37 am

That certainly sounds delicious.
This oatmeal sure is a nice small change of pace, and then, next year…there’s no bigger change than having a baby!
Best wishes.
LL

21 Kristi @ lifesprinkles October 13, 2012 at 9:20 am

I love this post! I realize I’m a year behind on the commentary but great motto nonetheless 🙂