French Onion Soup

October 11, 2011

I know sometimes people are afraid to eat onions.

DSC_0087

And yes, there are a few scenarios when eating onions just isn’t a good idea.

Like on a first date. Unless you don’t like your date. Then pile on the onions. That will totally take the pressure off of you. I did that once. Notgonnalie. My first eHarmony date was a disaster. I also ate garlic. We had Italian. Luckily I didn’t need any onions on my next eHarmony date.

You might not want to eat a ton of onions before you go to a job interview. Unless it’s for an onion company. They might not hire you.

I’ve heard eating onion before hot yoga is no bueno either. My yoga instructor is always apologizing. I guess if you’re a bad ass like her and don’t give a damn, eating onions before hot yoga is no big deal. I, on the other hand, prefer to eat peanut butter and dates before yoga.

DSC_0083

For the most part I’m not afraid of onions. (Except for the above mentioned scenarios).

Actually, I love onions. They’re not to nice to Lucas though. They get the heart a burnin’ on him. Sadly I have no sympathy because I have no idea what my heart burning away feels like. More onions please.

DSC_0098

In a way onions are homey. They’re comforting. They can be made in to their own soup.

I mean, that’s pretty major.

Especially when paired with some crust bread and gooey, melted, bubbly cheese.

DSC_0102

So if you’re afraid to eat a whole bowl of onions. Don’t be. Embrace the moment!

Again, avoid embracing the moment if you are getting ready to embark on the three scenarios mentioned above.

I think after your first bowl you will have found a new Red heart for onions. I think that’s the newest t-shirt craze we’ll start to see. And they’ll say “I’ll give you something to cry about”. Everyone will wear them. Onions will become the new “it” thing. Just wait.

I’m also trying to get the positive word out about onions by submitting this to My Baking Addiction and GoodLife Eats Holiday Recipe Exchange sponsored by Le Creuset. Let’s feel the onion love!!

DSC_0107

Until then, I need your help!!

Visit this site and vote for your favorite wedding hairstyle. I NEED YOUR ADVICE!!

I love you forever!!!

64 ounces of low-sodium beef stock
1 tablespoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
Ciabatta bread slices
Smoked mozzarella, sliced

Set your crock pot on high. Add all the onions, garlic, brown sugar, butter, salt, balsamic, and Worcestershire in to the pot and mix until combined. Cover and let cook for 60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook on high until onions are translucent and soft, and are a little caramelized.

Add in flour, mixing completely in to onion mixture and let sit for 5 minutes. Add in your beer, beef stock, oregano, pepper, and salt then turn heat down to low, cover it and cook for 6-8 hours.

Before serving, cut your ciabatta loaf in to slices. Turn your broiler on HIGH. Ladle soup in to oven proof safe bowls, top with a slice (or two) of bread, then cover bread with a few cheese slices. Place bowls of soup under broiler for a few minutes until cheese is bubbly and gooey and has melted over your bread. Carefully remove from oven, bowls will be hot, and enjoy!

1 Blog is the New Black October 11, 2011 at 5:45 am

I heart heart heart FOS! It’s on my to make soon list!

2 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 11, 2011 at 6:58 am

I voted low and pinned up. That one is really classy.

I love onions, myself. They’re so versatile. They can be sweet, they can be hot, they can be sharp. They’re a pretty impressive vegetable. French Onion soup has to be the best soup ever!

3 Steph October 11, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Thanks for your vote!! It’s so hard to decide!!

4 Erin October 11, 2011 at 8:05 am

I’m actually not a huge fan of onions, except for adding flavor to things. The texture cooked or uncooked just isn’t good to me. But I love the topping of this soup! I might even try some onion hiding underneath if this were served to me cause it looks so good.

5 Tina@flourtrader October 11, 2011 at 8:09 am

Onions are best enjoyed at home because they do linger! French onion soup is an awesome comfort food and I love that onions come in such a variety. The sweet ones are my favorite. Love to have your soup now-yum!

6 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts October 11, 2011 at 8:25 am

French Onion soup is hubby’s favorite soup! I think he just likes the crouton and cheese on top, but he disagrees. Either way, I will have to make this for him!

7 Steph October 11, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Same with mine! He made another slice of the bread and cheese and left some soup

8 Kelly October 11, 2011 at 9:32 am

Steph this looks SO delicious and your square bowls are just too cute!! Might have to go get me some of those ;)

9 Steph October 11, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Walmart!!

10 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking October 11, 2011 at 9:50 am

Thanks for sharing your recipe for one of my favorite fall/winter soups and reminding me how delicious it is! This looks great, Steph. I could definitely go for a bowl, even though it’s still morning!

11 RavieNomNoms October 11, 2011 at 11:13 am

Voted!! Totally love the messy elegant look. I think it would look adorable on you, but that is just my 2 cents.

I was never a fan of onions until I started getting older. French onion soup was never a go to soup for me, but as I get older I learn to appreciate it more and more. Yours looks so comforting, warm, and but of course delicious!

12 Steph October 11, 2011 at 5:18 pm

That one is my favorite too! I already sent the picture to my hair dresser :)

13 janet@fromcupcakestocaviar October 11, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I think all the blogging world got together today and decided to post all of my favorite recipes! :-D I LOVE LOVE LOVE French Onion Soup! It’s one of those things I use as comfort food… all cheesy and gooey and oniony. Thanks for posting! I needed to drool more I guess :-P

14 Steph October 11, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Yeah, I actually received a secret memo that said “we’re cooking for Janet today!” Surprise :)

15 Colleen Bierstine October 11, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I love onions! And so does my mother. She could eat them raw! I’ll have to make this for her:)

16 Steph October 11, 2011 at 5:15 pm

When you said raw all I can picture is your mom taking a huge bite out of an onion, just like an apple LOL!! I hope that’s not what you meant.

17 Kita October 12, 2011 at 7:53 am

I would never be allowed to make French Onion Soup in this house… Onions… Handsome hates them… I love them. Sad, sad panda. Send me your leftovers???

18 Kim Vinyard October 13, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Hi Steph,
It’s Kim Vinyard at ZipList, an online and mobile recipe box and grocery list service. We’re also the lead sponsor of the Holiday Recipe Exchange at My Baking Addiction and Good Life Eats. I spotted your recipe link-up and wanted to reach out to you about our free recipe tools for food bloggers, including our ZipList Recipe Plugin. You can learn more here: http://get.ziplist.com/partner-with-ziplist/many-ways-to-integrate/wordpress-recipe-plugin.

Could you please send me your email address so I can communicate with you via email? Thank you!

-Kim

19 Jamie | My Baking Addiction October 17, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I wholeheartedly adore French Onion Soup -especially the gobs of baked cheese! Thanks so much for entering this recipe into the Holiday Recipe Exchange!