Gingerbread Bundt Cake

October 12, 2011

Do you ever get the feeling that something is meant to be?

That’s how I felt about this cake.

There were clues all over the place hinting to me that I needed to make it…and make it ASAP.

DSC_0008

First there was the Bundt cake color palate. P.S. How cool is this site! I’m totally obsessed now…and am even more confused on what colors I want to paint my house. This could actually be torture. Or I could just repaint every season.

Don’t think that would go over well here in the Bite by Bite house.

Then I found this on Pintrest.

And that was it. I couldn’t take it anymore. I decided it wans Bundt cake time.

DSC_0033

Bundt cakes are fun. They can serve a lot of people (or just one…not that I’m pointing fingers).

They’re always dripping with glaze. Drip. Drip. Dripping.

Is it wrong that sometimes I’ll only eat the top of the whole Bundt cake. Yes, I said whole, not slice. Stop looking at me like I’m crazy.

DSC_0006

The glossy top gets even more temping when sprinkles are added.

Agree?

Yeah. I noticed that you’re not looking at me crazy any more. That’s because you’ve got sprinkles on the brain too! It’s ok. And you know what, we don’t even have to tell anyone that you’re obsessed with sprinkles. I know it’s a kid thang, but sometimes it’s good to be a kid.

I promise.

1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
3/4 cup dark molasses
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup almond milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour your Bundt pan.

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, allspice, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and ginger.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the molasses, sugar, and butter until well combined. Scrape down the sides. Add the egg, and beat until full incorporated.

Slowly beat in the almond milk and buttermilk, the mixture will look curdled, don’t get nervous!

In a few additions, beat in the flour mixture, scraping down the sides of the bowl between each addition. Mix until just combined, being careful not to over mix the batter.

Pour batter in to prepared cake pan, and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.

Let cool in pan for about 15 minutes, then turn out onto a baking rack and cool completely.

Ginger-Cinnamon Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon maple syrup
3-4 tablespoons almond milk

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, whisk in your maple syrup and milk (add more tablespoons of milk to get glaze more drippy). Pour over the top of the Bundt cake, allowing glaze to run down the sides. Top with sprinkles.

1 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean October 12, 2011 at 6:26 am

loooks delicious! bookmarked for next time i’m in charge of dessert for a family gathering!

2 Jess Wakasugi {Life's Simple Measures} October 12, 2011 at 7:33 am

I just joined Pinterest last week and it’s slowly becoming an addiction. You can find some great stuff on there though! Just started following your boards, can’t wait to see your pins! :)

3 Kita October 12, 2011 at 8:05 am

Everythings better with sprinkles. This cake looks delish. I was just craving gingerbread cakes last night.

4 Veronica @ Café con Leche October 12, 2011 at 8:17 am

YUM! I’d totes want to make this except my family isn’t a big fan of gingerbread….guess I’ll have to it ALLLL by myself (what a shame…………….) ;) !

5 Erin October 12, 2011 at 9:34 am

Sprinkles always get me.

6 RavieNomNoms October 12, 2011 at 10:14 am

AH-mazing! You have done it again my dear! This looks fabulous. Love the sprinkles :-)

7 Tina@flourtrader October 12, 2011 at 11:49 am

The cake looks so moist and delicious, I am craving some gingerbread now. It has been sometime since I have had it. Topping is a nice touch and sprinkles always brings out a smile from anyone!

8 Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family October 12, 2011 at 12:17 pm

This looks absolutely fantastic Steph. Glad to see you are still churning out winners even though wedding mania is just around the corner :)

9 Colleen Bierstine October 12, 2011 at 12:27 pm

This sounds crazy delicious. I love gingerbread. And you’re totally not crazy, the top is the best part! Love the use of almond milk here too.

10 Julia October 12, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Your bundt is givin me the feeling I NEED this cake, NOW. I saw those mini bundts and have been in awe. Now this bundt. Ok, fine, FINE, I give.

11 Baking Serendipity October 12, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I love the glazes on bundt cakes too and this one sounds seriously fantastic! PS: I’m finding so many fantastic things on Pinterest lately…my husband is constantly making fun of me for being on that site so often :)

12 Annie Oakley's Kitchen October 12, 2011 at 6:44 pm

That bundt cake looks soooo good! I am a HUGE fan of just about anything with molasses. I just love that dark and spicy stuff.

13 Tori @ The Shiksa in the Kitchen October 13, 2011 at 12:08 am

Lovely cake! I haven’t had gingerbread in ages. The sprinkles are too cute!

14 Alidade October 13, 2011 at 4:01 am

yum! I am always looking for new bundt cake recipes, and I love gingerbread. This looks absolutely amazing!

15 Jay October 13, 2011 at 4:45 am

wow…sounds scrumptiously tasty..
first time here..love your space..
awesome recipe collection with great cliks..
Am your happy follower now..;)
do stop by mine sometime..
Tasty Appetite

16 Eating Deliciously October 13, 2011 at 7:48 am

I am not a big fan of gingerbread cookies but this cake is screaming my name. YUM!

17 Promise Gephart October 13, 2011 at 8:58 am

Steph-you! I was just about to make a version of this today! Seriously-the pan is out. It’s a different recipe, but you must have been reading my mind cause you beat me to it. Anyhow, I will be posting a similar recipe tomorrow. Yours looks great.

18 Happy When Not Hungry October 13, 2011 at 4:58 pm

This looks beautiful! I love gingerbread too :-)

19 Amalia October 14, 2011 at 12:29 am

Mmmmm, gingerbread sounds amazing right about now! A perfect fall dessert! Thanks for the recipe, it looks amazing :) God Bless and have a wonderful day!

20 Alayna October 14, 2011 at 7:00 am

Love this! Will have to add it to my gingerbread recipes.

21 Carolyn Wells October 14, 2011 at 8:30 am

I love the recipes but wish there was a way to copy just the recipe without all of the comments, etc. Maybe there is, if so I sure would like for you to inform me. Thanks so much……..

22 Steph October 14, 2011 at 8:33 am

Hi Carolyn! If you just highlight all of the recipe you can copy and paste it to a word document. I”m working on a button that will just print out the recipes.

23 Chrissy October 14, 2011 at 9:34 am

Steph! This is such a good idea! I love the flavor of gingerbread during the Fall season… and this bundt is so appetizing! I will have to try it out :)

24 Kristi Rimkus October 14, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Beautiful cake. Gingerbread is so perfect for fall, don’t you think?

25 D Trigo December 22, 2011 at 7:24 am

Ooh, I love this…I am going to try red and green sprinkles (or jimmies as we call them…ha ha) for a Christmas Eve dessert! Thank you!!

26 nancy.s.wolfe December 1, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I have made this cake 3 times in the past week for a variety of events. Perfect !! Thank you for posting this recipe.