Cheesy Prosciutto Omelet

November 9, 2011

I made you breakfast!

DSC_0065

And this one is a fancy one!

Omelets!! Are they not one of the most gourmet breakfast items? So gracefully flipped, so perfectly puffed, completely oozey and goozey with cheese.

H.E.A.V.E.N.

DSC_0067

When I was little my dad used to make each of us an omelet for breakfast on Saturdays. They were cheese omelets. Lots of cheese. Served with bacon and Pillsbury biscuits. A huge glass of milk. Throw in a morning of Chip ‘n’ Dale Rescue Rangers, Pinky and the Brain, and Goof Troop cartoons and you have your self a rockin’ weekend.

At least that is for someone who was growing up in the ‘90s.

Did you know that if you grew up in the ‘90s you’re old. Like Dinosaur old.

…this is all according to my nephew who was born in 2003. He asked me when I was born and after I told him he said, “whoa you we’re born in the 1900’s! That’s so OLD.”

Awesome. Totally what I wanted to hear. I suddenly felt like I was older than Abraham Lincoln.

DSC_0069

I think I need to swap the glass of milk for a big huge shot of alcohol.

The scary thing about kids though is even though they say the craziest things, they’re always speaking the truth.

I guess I’m not that little girl any more whose totally obsessed with My Little Pet Shops and those overly fuzzy stuffed white dogs that came with scissors so you could cut the dogs hair.

I practically shaved my white dog. There was hair everywhere. My dad freaked. I wasn’t allowed to cut anymore dog hair.

DSC_0075

Funny how food can take you on a trip down memory lane.

…and yes my toast is dry. I like to stack a piece of bacon on the toast and a chunk of omelet on top of that. Makes for the perfect bite.

Omelet Sandwich?

DSC_0080

Cheesy Prosciutto Omelet
Makes a single omelet

1 teaspoon olive oil

2 mushrooms, sliced
1/4 red onion, sliced
2 eggs
Splash of coconut milk
4 slices of sharp cheddar cheese
2 slices of prosciutto

Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat, add mushroom slices and red onions. Cook until onions are translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Remove veggies from pan setting aside on a separate plate, and return pan to heat. Spray with cooking spray.

Crack eggs in to a small bowl, and a splash of milk, whisk until just combined, you don’t want to over whisk the eggs. Pour eggs in to the center of the pan and tilt the pan around I a circle so that the eggs spread evenly. Lets the eggs cook like this for a minute or two.

Add the veggies to one half of the omelet, topping the veggies with the prosciutto slices, then add the cheese to the other half. Let the omelet cook like this for another 3 minutes or until the bottom of the eggs are just getting a light brown.

With a spatula fold the cheese half of the omelet over the top of the veggie/prosciutto half. Let cook for a few more minutes making sure the eggs are fully cooked. Plate up your omelet and enjoy!

1 Blog is the New Black November 9, 2011 at 5:44 am

Looks amazing, Mrs. Connor! ;)

2 Steph November 11, 2011 at 10:04 am

Love this :)

3 Liz @ Tip Top Shape November 9, 2011 at 6:52 am

This looks fantastic!!!

4 Erin November 9, 2011 at 8:03 am

What a perfect omlet! I always fail at making them look that good because I am a terrible flipper apparently. As for the 90s thing, I have actually thought about how those of us born in the late 1900s will be considered super old even compared to those in the early 2000s just because the centuries changed over. Scary.

5 Kita November 9, 2011 at 8:44 am

Be proud, I ate most of my first omelet this weekend. I am just now getting into eggs so my Saturday morning cartoons were enjoyed with a bowl of Lucky Charms or Captain Crunch, but I am learning to enjoy the flavors and texture now. It does sound like you really kicked this one out of the part with the prosciutto and coconut milk.

6 Steph November 11, 2011 at 9:51 am

just getting in to eggs? WHAT?!!! oh my! I have lots to show you :)

7 Lacy November 9, 2011 at 9:06 am

I always feel OLD anymore! When I think back to when I was was watching ducktails and pinky & the brain, that was like almost 21 years ago! A whole person thats able to drink legally. Ahhh well…on another note, this omelet looks super tasty! I’ve been getting into making omelets recently, sooo good but I think your prosciutto is topping all of mine so far! Yum!

8 Tina@flourtrader November 9, 2011 at 9:23 am

I think when it comes to omelettes cheese and proscuitto should be a required filling! This is a great thing to wake up to on a Saturday morning. Yum!

9 RavieNomNoms November 9, 2011 at 11:06 am

This looks amazing!! What a great omelet! I have an omelet last night, I am wishing I had seen this first so I could have made this one…yummy!

10 Sprinkled With Flour November 9, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Yum! This omelet looks so hearty and delicious. :)

11 janet@fromcupcakestocaviar November 9, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Can you come to my house and make me this omelet for dinner??? Pretty please? I’ll make dessert and supply wine :-D

12 Steph November 11, 2011 at 9:50 am

I think we can arrange this!