Thanksgiving Meatballs with Cranberry Barbeque Sauce

November 22, 2011

When I told Lucas we were having meatballs for dinner he got super excited.

DSC_0002

Typical man with his meat-manly meals.

You should have seen his face when he saw the ground turkey package. Muah ha ha!

I know, I know. Evil right? But for some weird reason I’m not a huge fan of beef meatballs. I don’t know what it is about them, but I could go my whole life without eating them (unless we’re talking about a meatball sub…then I’m all over it…don’t ask). Same goes for a hamburger. I probably eat half a hamburger in an entire year.

GASP!!

DSC_0026

But I could eat turkey meatballs and turkey burgers all day long.

In fact I did. Eat turkey meatballs all day long.

You’d think I’d be avoiding turkey like the plague, holding out for the big feast. But no. I don’t work like that. I get obsessed with one ingredient, i.e. turkey, pumpkin, cranberries, and I go crazy with it until I can’t stand to look at it anymore.

DSC_0018

Kind of like I did with blue eye shadow when I was 15.

Or when I used to binge on Venti Americanos with Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup.

And I’m starting to get to that point with pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin, and pumpkin.

Holy lord! …Did I mention that I’m making P-U-M-P-K-I-N pie for Thanksgiving.

DSC_0009

Good thing I’m not turkied out yet!

Or cranberried out for that matter.

(Do those two sentences even make sense)

DSC_0011

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons dried sage
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon garlic salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.

Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, using your hands mix until ingredients are fully combined and incorporated. Turkey mixture might be slightly sticky, but roll into a ball as best as you can. I just ended up making “drop meatballs”. Place meatballs on baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until meatballs are browned and turkey is cooked.

Cranberry Barbeque Sauce
8 ounces cranberries
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup molasses
3 tablespoons syrup
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Place cranberries through brown sugar in to a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook for 10 minutes, continuously stirring. Cranberries will start to plump up and burst.

Add the last three ingredients and simmer sauce for another 30 minutes, making sure that cranberries have all popped. The sauce will thicken and reduce. Serve with meatballs.

1 Blog is the New Black November 22, 2011 at 6:20 am

I made something very similar! And we ate them all before I could snap pics! ;)

2 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday November 22, 2011 at 7:16 am

I made turkey meatballs for canadian thanksgiving this year. They were a hit.

I use Mario Batali’s turkey meatball recipe which is fantastic (although it’s really half turkey and half pork). The generous amount of bread crumbs really keeps the meatballs tender.

3 Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray November 22, 2011 at 7:26 am

Ooh these look yummy! I’m totally on board with the turkey thing–I can take or leave most things made with beef, but I’m all about their turkey counterparts. I can’t explain it either! Delish. :)

4 Kelly November 22, 2011 at 7:47 am

Yummy this looks So delicious!! What a great twist on a Thanksgiving meal, love it! :)

5 Meaghan O'Connor @ My Spoonful of Inspiration November 22, 2011 at 7:52 am

Thanks for helping me get in the Thanksgiving spirit!

6 Liz @ Tip Top Shape November 22, 2011 at 8:05 am

These look great!!! I agree with Meaghan above–perfect way to get in the Thanksgiving spirit!!

7 RavieNomNoms November 22, 2011 at 9:24 am

I am the SAME way! I love turkey meatballs, but have never been a fan of the beef ones. I really think that the turkey meatballs have a better texture. If you ask me…and burgers? Forget about it, I will almost always go for turkey or veggie. Who woulda thunk we would have been similar on that? haha

These meatballs look perfect and I just love that bbq sauce! That is a total winner

8 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts November 22, 2011 at 10:18 am

I love meatballs, these look so good! I like using turkey instead of beef – healthier for sure, plus it is so yummy!

9 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean November 22, 2011 at 10:20 am

definitely trying that sauce!!! i’m gonna put it on some of the lentil meatless meatballs i made last night!

10 Cassie November 22, 2011 at 11:54 am

What a great idea. I love this unique dish that still uses traditional flavors. Very fun!

11 Trix November 22, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I would love meatballs for dinner, mmm. I have been on a pork meatball kick actually and this would be a really great (and much healthier!) alternative. The sauce sounds di-voon.

12 mjskit November 22, 2011 at 8:38 pm

What a clever recipe! Love the meatballs recipe but I especially love the cranberry barbeque sauce! That would make a great sauce for leftover turkey sandwiches!

13 ping November 23, 2011 at 2:25 am

Looove turkey burgers! This would be great too except I doubt my husband would go for it. He’s a beef man. Guess I’ll just have to wait for the day he tells me he won’t be back for dinner or lunch … can’t wait! I love the bbq sauce with the cranberry twist to it. Wonder if I should replace the usual cranberry jelly for it this Christmas? Hmmm …