Farolito 5K

December 17, 2011

Last weekend I ran in my second ever 5k. I gave you a little preview of my run and am now ready for a full recap!

5k’s are funny. They seem like they’d be the easiest distance race of the lot, simply because they’re the shortest distance (3.1 miles). But I actually dread the 5k and don’t know if I ever want to run one again.

This 5k was different than any race I’ve ever ran before, simply because the start time was 5:30…at night! Yes, races are usually run in the morning. Unless you live in New Mexico, where the holiday season is marked with the appearance of farolitos (aka luminarias). Then you run races at night with the trail illuminated by lighted paper bags.

I was a little nervous about this race from the moment I started getting ready for it.

#1: I wasn’t sure what to wear since I usually have the sun to help keep me warm on cold runs. I didn’t want to wear too much or too little.

#2: I wasn’t just waking up and eating my usually peanut butter snack before my race. I had had almost a whole day of food in my tummy.

#3: This was the first day of my tummy troubles, that have now been going on for a week.

But, I pinned on my bib, had Lucas snap my picture, and got in the car.

I was delighted to see all the Christmas decorations at the race. Again, something I’ve never seen at the start line before… a huge snowman!

And was so surprised at how many people had come out to run in the race.

As the sun started to set, the temperature quickly dropped.

Everyone was dancing around to stay warm. My dancing started making my tummy dance. I could feel it gurgling and moving about in protest.

I almost bowed out of the race before it even began. But I convinced myself to tough it out.

The gun went off and for the first few minutes I was fine. Since the distance is so short so many runners burst out of the start in an attempt to sprint the whole race. Not happening. I always give myself a few minutes to get my body warmed up before I start to get set in to my race pace.

Besides my hands being cold, even through gloves, I was pretty warm. About 5 minutes in to the race I started thinking about Lucas’ advice to just run, and run fast. Get it over with. So I started to pick up the pace.

Then my stomach dropped. Literally, I felt like my stomach had just sank and was making room to do somersaults.

I just kept running and told myself not to think about it.

Half way through the race I was really starting to feel like poo. And the course being completely dark had started to freak me out. I could barely see where I was running. I was terrified I was gonna trip over something or fall in a pothole. So I felt like I was on high alert for the entire race, which really sky rocketed my stress level.

Mile 2 came and I hit a wall. I was shocked that I was walking (not that there’s anything wrong with walking at ALL! I just have never felt so awful so quick that I had to literally stop myself). After a few minutes of walking and telling myself to calm down I started jogging again. Jogging mind you.

This lasted all of two minutes and I immediately veered off the course and collapsed to my knees suddenly dry heaving. WHAT?!! I had never ever experienced anything like this before while running. I took a deep breath and told myself the finish line was around the corner and that after this I could go home.

So, I got up and started my run again. About 20 yards from the finish I could feel my stomach moving up to my throat. I knew that this finish was not going to be good. I could feel my eyes tearing up and my palms getting really clammy.

I started sprinting because I knew it was a I plowed through the finish line and immediately ran to the side of the finish line, and actually shove a kid out of my way so that I could make it to the grass. Again I dropped to my knees and started more of the awful dry heaving.

After it resided I just sat there in the grass, quietly crying to myself. The whole process of throwing up really makes me emotional and is something that rarely ever happens to me. After a few breaths I calmed down enough to stand up, although I was a little shaky, I was more relieved that the race from hell was over. Hoping I never relive this experience again!

Unfortunately I didn’t PR on this race, but I was glad to just have made it through without loosing my cookies. I loved this race and hated it all at the same time. Not to sure if I’ll be back next year.

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Ayshela December 18, 2011 at 2:41 am

ouch. yeah, it would be really really hard to separate out your impressions of the race and course themselves from being horribly sick while running it. I’m sorry you’re feeling so awful. =( congrats on finishing! I admire your tenacity.


2 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts December 18, 2011 at 8:37 am

What a horrible experience!! Personally I would have puked too with that time! Way to stick it out and finish!


3 Holly December 18, 2011 at 9:56 am

Awww. I’m sorry about the race. What an awful experience! I don’t know how I’d feel running so late in the evening either. I usually run in the mornings right before the sun comes up, but dawn and encroaching light are way different than night time running. And so much colder!

Keep it up, hopefully it won’t happen again. 🙂 And hope you feel better soon!


4 Steph December 20, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Morning is my favorite running time too! No more of these late runs!


5 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday December 19, 2011 at 11:40 am

Man, that sounds really awful. That’s impressive that you stuck with it to the end though. Running with an upset stomach is the worst 🙁


6 Steph December 20, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Totally! I never want to go through something like that again!!


7 Niecy July 3, 2012 at 6:54 am

Wow Steph and you still kicked butt! Sorry you were so sick.


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: