Frito Topped Turkey Burgers

August 27, 2012

I’ve heard of people putting chips in their sandwiches before.

Frito Topped Turkey Burgers

…and I’ve always thought that was disgusting. Of course, it’s not something I’ve ever tried. I just knew it was something that was wrong. and gross.

Kinda like ketchup on eggs. Sorry, but that is just wrong…and gross. Obviously these two words I the only words I know.

Frito Topped Turkey Burgers-2

There are some crazy food combos though that I think are incredibly delicious.

Like french fries dipped in a Frosty

popcorn on top of a huge dill pickle

mashed potatoes mixed with corn and gravy

Frito Topped Turkey Burgers-3

And now HAMBURGERS with FRITOS

Frito Topped Turkey Burgers-4

I still think chips in sandwiches are gross. But this whole concept is totally different. And it’s something that you need to try. ASAP. Fritos aren’t just for bean dip and frito pie any more. Of course my brain is now reeling with what else I can do with fritos.

I’m thinking of just pouring them in a bowl and adding some milk and strawberries to them. Is that too much?

(OOOH) And the winner of the Big Kitchen Giveaway is KAYLA (comment #29)! Kayla, I will be contacting you to get your mailing address!! Congratulations!!!!

Frito Topped Turkey Burgers-5

Frito Topped Turkey Burgers
feeds four hungry burger eaters

1 lb ground turkey

1/4 sweet onion, diced

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder

4-8 slices cheddar cheese

1 cup lettuce

1 cup fritos

8 bread and butter pickles

1/2 an avocado, sliced

4 tablespoons mayonnaise

4 hamburgers buns

4 tablespoons butter

In a large bowl mix the ground turkey, onion, Worcestershire, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Divide the meat in to four patties, patting out in to a round circle that’s about the size of your palm. Grill burgers on medium-high heat for about 5-6 minutes on each side. In the last few minutes of cooking top burgers with cheese slices and allow cheese to melt. Remove burgers from grill.

Take the four hamburger buns and spread butter over the inside of each bun half. Place buns on the grill for just a few minutes to toast. Remove from grill.

Place the bottom bun on a plate. Top with turkey burger patties, then some lettuce, a few pickles, a few avocado slices, some fritos, and then spread the top bun with some mayonnaise and place on top of burger stack. Now open as wide as you can!

1 Kate@Diethood August 27, 2012 at 6:20 am

Steph, I am about to go through my monitor. I want to bite into that asap! And pour ketchup on top of my eggs. ;P

2 RavieNomNoms August 27, 2012 at 7:30 am

UM yes!!! I love chips on burgers or sandwiches. It is the Midwest girl in me I think. Fritos are so good, like seriously so good. We used to have Frito pie in my house and we always have Fritos for football watching days. Definitely would be all about this!

3 Kristina August 27, 2012 at 8:19 am

Ok so I don’t do ketchup and eggs – but I swear by salsa and eggs! That’s my brunch staple… and growing up I’d eat a peanut butter and jelly with cheeto’s. Gross. I know.

But I’m all over this frito idea, YUM!!

4 Meagan @ A Zesty Bite August 27, 2012 at 8:22 am

Yay for trying something new! I’m weird and love chips in my sandwiches and my salads!

5 Renee @ Tortillas and Honey August 27, 2012 at 10:34 am

Popcorn and dill pickles– I haven’t heard of that one! I do like chips on my burgers, so this looks great. Kind of like a frito pie burger, I bet that would be good too!

6 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel August 27, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I haven’t had fritos in forever!! Now I need some and lookie lookie it’s almost grocery day! :)

7 Annie @ What's Annie Making? August 27, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Mmmm french fries and frosties!!! So good. I can’t remember the last time I had that combo, but the next time needs to be soon:)

8 Lynz August 27, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I am in Australia so have no idea what fritos are, but potato chips in sandwiches rock, especially plain or salt and vinegar, with some margarine….my god, i could eat one right now and it’s only 8.30 in the morning!!! Try it, you never know, baby might love it!!

9 Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 27, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I just rediscovered fritos, which means I need to make these stat!

10 Anna @ hiddenponies August 27, 2012 at 11:42 pm

HA, I had a friend who loved chips on sandwiches, but always packed them separately for lunch so they wouldn’t lose any crunch :) I’m sure fritos on a burger would be delicious!

11 Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie August 28, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I am so loving the idea of fritos on my burger right now.

12 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts August 28, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Holy crap, now that is a burger! I love fritos, they are my favorite, so adding them to a burger sounds fun!

13 Lauren @ London + Grey August 29, 2012 at 5:57 am

I’m trying these out for the football games on Saturday. :) They look amazing!

14 Anita at Hungry Couple September 13, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I’ve had such a Frito craving lately! And no, I’m not expecting. :)