Baby Conner: Homemade Postpartum Relief Pads

February 21, 2013

A few days ago I was surfing around on the internet for things I might need for delivery and after delivery. I’m in the process of trying to pack my hospital bag and to get myself prepared for coming home with my little babe.

I stumbled upon this homemade recipe for create postpartum relief pads. And they sounded like they would be heavenly for soothing the super sore areas downstairs. So I immediately when and got the “ingredients” to make these pads so that I would have them ready and stocked up.

They’re super easy to make!

Step 1: Assemble your ingredients!

-Extra Long, Super Thick Maxi Pads
-Lavender Oil
-Witch Hazel (make sure it’s alcohol free)
-Aloe Vera Gel (not liquid)

Step 2: Slather a good amount of aloe vera all over the pad

Step 3: Pour a tablespoon of witch hazel evenly over the pad

Step 4: Add a few drops of lavender oil

Step 5: Fold in the tabs and leaving the rest of the pad unfolded, wrap in foil.

Step 6: Continue making more pads until you have a big stack of them. Place them in the freezer and store them there until you are ready to use them.

Can’t wait to put these to the test! And I hope they bring some relief to you other expecting mamas!

1 Samantha Angela February 21, 2013 at 7:26 am

Oh my. What do you use these for exactly?

2 Steph February 24, 2013 at 3:14 pm

They’re used for after baby is born to help heal any tearing or discomfort down there.

3 Faith February 21, 2013 at 8:17 am

oh maaaaaan, I wish I’d had those after my son was born! Witch hazel is a godsend, and this is a genius application of cooling, soothing relief. Awesome!

Best wishes for you and yours – may your labor be short, your delivery easy, and your recovery swift!

4 Steph February 24, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Thank you so much!! I’m praying for that too LOL

5 Kimberly February 21, 2013 at 8:40 am

Did you make sure the Aloe Vera gel was alcohol free? I’d hate to get alcohol on the nether regions after birth – that would be painful!

6 Steph February 24, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Oooh, good point!!

7 Hayley February 21, 2013 at 9:45 am

Those will come in really handy!! Smart thinking 🙂

8 Nicole (MyLoveForCooking) February 24, 2013 at 7:11 am

Wish I had this when I had my little peeps (2 and 4). Best of luck with everything! 🙂

9 Steph February 24, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Thanks Nicole! (I’m hoping these work!)

10 Emily February 25, 2013 at 11:21 am

Good call! Let us know how they work out… maybe I should whip up a batch too!

11 Michelle May 29, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Do they still stick after being in the freezer? Great idea!

12 Steph May 30, 2013 at 6:15 am

They do!

13 Amanda June 16, 2013 at 5:56 am

Have you delivered your bundle of joy? Hoping all is well. If you have, did you use these pads and what were your results? Would you still recommend?

14 Steph June 16, 2013 at 8:17 am

My little guy is 10 week sold now 🙂 And yes, I did use these pads and they were incredible! The iciness of them really helped to soothe the aches and pains. I did only use them for a few days though, because I had a 2nd degree tear. When I told my doctor I was using them she recommended I stop just because of the tearing and stitches. But for the few days I loved them they felt AMAZING!

15 Meg August 27, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I can not find alcohol free witch hazel!! Did anyone use the target brand? It says something about 14% alcohol astringent??

16 Steph August 28, 2013 at 10:53 am

I couldn’t find alcohol free either, so I just went ahead and used the target brand. Wondering if a pharmacy would have the alcohol free

17 Tenley September 14, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Try an coop/organic natural food store, they should have alcohol free!

18 Kelly December 18, 2013 at 10:30 am

How long do you think they’d “keep” in the freezer?

19 Steph December 19, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I think I kept mine for about 2 or 3 months. I made them a month before my due date because I didn’t really know when Logan was gonna be showing up

20 eva December 30, 2013 at 4:14 pm

did they work? I used them when little boy came to the world…they were a blessing!!! 🙂
did you use them?

21 Christi January 9, 2014 at 3:25 am

What does the lavender oil do? I’m allergic and wondering if it’s really necessary?

22 Steph January 9, 2014 at 9:35 am

I think it’s pretty much just for soothing, you could totally leave it out 🙂

23 Michella Majer February 29, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Witch hazel and lavender are natural astringents, so they’ll help reduce swelling, and the aloe and the cold are very soothing. It’s not necessary to have the lavender oil, especially if you are allergic to it!!!

24 Sophie January 11, 2014 at 1:20 pm

These sound amazing! Can you elaborate on why the doctor said you shouldn’t use these with a tearing and stitches?

25 Steph January 12, 2014 at 2:53 pm

She didn’t really give me much of a reason, she just said I should let it heal on it’s own and not put anything around my stitches :/

26 Kacie H March 13, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Why can’t you use liquid aloe Vera?! I’ve seen these DIY pads before and those said to use pure aloe Vera liquid instead of gel….

27 Rebecka April 7, 2014 at 1:01 pm

If i had to take a guess I would stay because the liquid would turn the pad into an ice-cube whereas the gel should not completely freeze. If you were not planning to freeze them or were making them as you wore them you could probably just leave the aloe and other ingredients in the fridge for the cooling effect.

28 Tiff April 10, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Do you place these ontop of a regular dry pad?

29 Steph April 13, 2014 at 8:36 pm

I actually just placed it right in my undies. Wore it for about 10 minutes then changed back to a regular pad.

30 Michella Majer February 29, 2016 at 2:00 pm

31 Michella Majer February 29, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Whoops, I thought I was replying under a different comment!

32 Whitney L April 18, 2014 at 2:41 pm

33 Tina May 13, 2014 at 11:05 am

How many did people make?

34 Cheri June 29, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Back in the good old days the hospital gave me a small jar of Tucks and a tube of hemeroid cream ( small pea size on the Tucks) and placed it on my pad. It was wonderful. Nothing to make and my tush felt wonderful. Practically healed in a week.

35 jade July 29, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Do you have to freeze these? & what’s the downfall of using witch hazel with alcohol ? That’d all I have. & can I use these while at the hospital? I want to store some in my hospital bag but afraid you HAVE to freeze them… im 8 months & would like to put a couple in my hospital bag… let me m know if I can 🙂

36 Kay Smith July 30, 2014 at 3:35 pm

I’m 37 weeks I really need to get on the ball to make these! By the way, I did call my local pharmacist and he said that the witch hazel by definition must have alcohol content, I’m not sure if that’s completely true in all cases but after doing internet research I read that it is safe to use on the postpartum vagina ( However it is best to make sure the alcohol content is no more than 14%. The same pharmacy I mentioned before does have alcohol free Aloe Vera so I will definitely be going by tomorrow to pick some up, I already purchased the Witch Hazel from Walgreens which is Dickinson’s brand and has 14% alcohol content. Thank you Steph for posting!

37 Elizabeth September 16, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Thanks for the extra info!

38 Carla August 6, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Making these tomorrow!! Wondering if you have to use maxi pads verses ultra thins? I’ve always preferred the ultra thins but can see how the maxi pads might be better at providing relief

39 Genevieve August 11, 2014 at 4:35 am

After you deliver you’re going to want the protection of the maxi pad. The bigger the better! I found that there was a weird combination of pain and numbness so you aren’t really sure what is happening. Maxi pads provide a little extra peace of mind on top.

40 Rachel October 5, 2014 at 6:53 pm

I’m feeling so much better about my upcoming 3rd delivery after finding this!!! Thank you so much for sharing

41 Steph October 6, 2014 at 7:27 am

YAY!! 🙂

42 Lauren October 11, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Are there certain lavender oil brands/type that you should not use on the pad? I got the brand ‘everyone’ and on the back it says to not apply directly on skin. So don’t know if its okay to use for this.

43 Steph October 12, 2014 at 7:15 am

I’m not too sure about this, I found mine at Whole Foods, and didn’t see a warning like that on my bottle. But, I think these will still work great without the lavender!

44 jennifer October 20, 2014 at 8:34 pm

You may want to be super careful about that lavender. It may actually be lavendin which is a lavender hybrid and has high contents of camphor in it which can cause skin burns. (Unfortunately it is totally legal for this mislabeling). There could also be other synthetics out fillets that would not be do good for this sensitive area. I would recommend taking that brand back and getting a pure, therapeutic grade oil that is safe for the skin.

45 jennifer October 20, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Actually meant that reply for Lauren’s question…

46 Katie October 22, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Does applying all this affect the pads absorbency after freezing?

47 Steph October 23, 2014 at 6:49 am

They might not be fully effective at absorbing, but they kind of “unfreeze” within 30 minutes, and at that point I didn’t want to wear it anymore. I kind of liked it when they were really cold for the relief.

48 Vertqunese Davis November 1, 2015 at 4:13 am

i always see these and really wanna make but there isn’t witch hazel that’s alcohol free. They all contain 14% alcohol. I have the same one you bought from Target. Did you already use? If so did it burn?

49 Lisa November 14, 2015 at 1:26 pm

I just got through making hand sanitizer and the base is aleo vera gel. I didn’t find one out there that didn’t have chemicals in the ingredients. So just be careful.

50 SRTUS1 November 19, 2015 at 6:27 pm

51 Tina February 17, 2016 at 7:56 pm

I’m due in exactly two months tomorrow, and I’m hoping to make some of these. I also read an idea to use tucks pads and put an ointment on them sort of like prep-h that’s supposed to help, and just “tuck” these in over your regular maxi pad to keep anything from sticking and protecting the sore area. I wonder if the same can be done with this concoction on a tucks pad?

OH also, I read elsewhere that a good thing to go for instead of using (and possibly ruining) your own undies, or bothering with the disposable ones provided by the hospital, go out and buy a pack of depends and use them as undies instead. Sounds like a great idea to me, and you don’t have to worry about ruining good underwear, plus you get the little extra protection.

52 full vehicle wrap February 29, 2016 at 7:27 am

Utilizing the brand on all forms of signage will strengthen your brand and help people
to remember the service you provide.

53 Judy May 12, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Do you just add the lavender essential oil directly or combine it with a carrier oil?