Logan: 1 Week Old

April 17, 2013

7 days. That’s how old my little baby is, and yet I feel like I never lived a day without him. These 7 days have been the most amazing days of my entire life. I find myself staring at him in awe that I had a part in creating something so amazing. If I stare at him to long tears start to well up in my eyes because he just makes me sooo happy and absolutely melts every piece of my heart.

In these 7 days I feel like my little man has grown so much.

As a new parent I now realize why other parents get excited about the little things. For example, Logan’s last little umbilical cord stump fell off and his circumcision healed up all on the same day. Lucas and I looked at each other and said that our little boy was all grown up now. If I would have heard somebody say that before giving birth I would have thought they were crazy. Now it’s like a huge deal.

I can’t believe how much he changes…daily. I seriously wake up in the morning and see that there’s just a little something different than there was the day before. On one hand I’m excited to see him grow and see the little person he turns in to, but on the other hand I just want him to stay this way forever!

I do have to say that I feel so blessed to have a mostly calm baby. The only time Logan really cries is when is overly hungry [we try to catch hunger signs early to avoid a screaming fit] or when he’s getting his diaper changed. Other than that he mostly will just sit around, eyes wide open, looking around. He’s also turning in to a pretty good sleeper. We take lots of naps during the day, and then at night he only wakes up twice to feed. I pray that it stays this way.

The best way to knock this kid out? Strap him in his baby carrier, put him in the car, and go run errands. He sleeps through the entire thing. My 2 hour trip to Trader Joe’s and the other grocery stores was a breeze. Passed out the whole time.

Logan’s eyes are currently blue with a gray tinge to them, and I’m totally praying that they stay this way. His hair actually looks a little red, which baffles me. He loves to hold my hand when he nurses and he makes the most adorable squeaking noise when he’s eating. I’m trying to capture it on video!

His favorite place to sleep is with us in bed. We’re trying to break this habit and slowly get him used to sleeping the cradle that’s in our room. But let me tell you, there’s no better feeling than snuggling up with baby. I do feel a little sleep deprived at the moment, but I know that it could be much worse, so I’m just being thankful for what I’ve got!

Breastfeeding is just now becoming easy. The first few days were extremely difficult. My nipples felt torn to shreds, we were working on getting a better latch, and trying to soothe gigantic boobs, all played a part in a rough few days. I can see why women give up so quickly on breastfeeding. It’s hard work and is not the most comfortable thing. But, after talking to a lactation consultant [which is HIGHLY recommend] things got better. Now I almost feel like it’s second nature…although I do still have my moments of sore nipples…that doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. I feel like this is really my only job at the moment. Feeding. I’m also pumping in between feedings to help keep my milk supply up, not to mention the benefit of being able to give him a bottle every few feedings is a life boob saver.

I never thought I could love anything or anyone as much as I love this baby. Here’s to the first 7 days of the rest of my life!

1 RavieNomNoms April 17, 2013 at 6:07 am

So excited for you!! He is so handsome!

2 Becky April 17, 2013 at 6:44 am

He’s adorable! I can see why you’re in love with him. Sometimes it does take perseverance to nurse, but it will be worth it:)

3 Dawn @ Butter And Spinkles April 17, 2013 at 6:44 am

So happy for you and your husband, Steph! He is one handsome little guy! And I’m glad to see that things are getting easier and that he’s such a calm baby! Congrats again!

4 Katy @ HaveYouHurd April 17, 2013 at 6:48 am

So happy for you! He is beautiful 🙂 You are making me so excited to meet our little man in June!!!

5 Ali April 17, 2013 at 8:08 am

Glad everything is going so well!! I can relate to much of what you said. Breastfeeding even at 6 weeks continues to be an adventure. It’ll get better in terms of sore nipples and then it’ll flare up again. It’s definitely a job, but pumping is a life saver for sure:)

6 DessertForTwo April 17, 2013 at 8:16 am

So so so sweet and precious. My ovaries just jumped a little. I want one! 😉

Congrats! xo

7 Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 17, 2013 at 9:18 am

Aww, he is absolutely gorgeous!!!

8 Kimberly April 17, 2013 at 9:23 am

Some advice for sore nipples – soak a teabag in warm water. Make sure it’s a dark tea, like Earl Grey or even plain old Lipton. Put the warm teabags on your nipples after feeding, showering, or when they are sore. The tannin in the tea helps soothe the pain. Leave on until they are cool, but feel free to repeat as often as necessary.

9 Anita at Hungry Couple April 17, 2013 at 9:32 am

Awe…you’re just a bundle of love. 🙂

10 Hayley April 17, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Logan is so handsome!! Congratulations again!

I totally understand how you feel. I couldn’t take my eyes off little H when he was first born. He’s almost 8 months now and I honestly can’t remember what my life was like without him. He’s already the best thing I’ve ever done.

No real advice on the sore nipples other than that I know it seems like they are taking forever to toughen up but that’s only because he needs to eat so often right now. Believe me one day very soon you will wake up and they won’t be sore anymore.

11 Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. April 18, 2013 at 6:22 pm

He’s so sweet! I love these posts you are doing. Gives me an idea of what to look forward to when I decide to have one!

12 alex April 19, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I loved the days of throwing the baby in the car seat and running errands! helped my stay sane!