Logan: 13 Weeks Old

July 10, 2013

I’m almost afraid to say it, but I think the weeks with this little guy are starting to get easier.

It seems like all of a sudden, with Logan hitting the 3 month mark, he’s turned in to a much easier baby to take care of. I’ve got him almost down and can pretty much predict what is wrong and how much time we have until a melt down happens. Since I’m aware of these things now and how to fix his breakdowns it’s become a little less daunting. I now feel very confident in myself in being able to take care of him and keep him calm. And let me tell you, that’s the best feeling in the world.

I’ve always known Logan was a big dude, but this week he just seems so HUGE. On his 3 month birthday we realized that he really no longer fits in to 3 month clothes. I’ve been putting him in 6 month clothes for a few days now and they fit so much better. We’re also almost at the point where size 2 diapers don’t fit any more. We weighed him the other day [almost 2 weeks ago] and he was 18 pounds!!! [I can only imagine know what he weighs]. We were out to eat the other night and another couple had a little boy that was sitting in a high chair and eating “real” food. I couldn’t help it, I had to ask them how old he was, because his size was smaller than Logan’s. They said he was 9 months old and weighed 18 pounds. I about died. I think my breast milk might have steroids in it!

I am loving watching him play with things now. He loves to garb a stuffed animal and pull it on top of him and kind of wrestle with it while trying to suck it to death. It makes me laugh every time. And he has no clue that I’m watching him, so when I start laughing out loud it scares him, which makes me laugh even harder! We’re still practicing tummy time, which he is getting much better at. He immediately just lifts that head up and looks like a little superman. Still not showing any signs of rolling over, but he can scoot around a little now on his back. He’s also loving his little bumbo chair, which I can tell is really helping him learn how to sit up.

My biggest task with him right now is naps. We have napping down pretty good, he naps in his crib, and I can get him down pretty easily. What I’m trying to work on now is putting him down awake, which is easy some days and a real pain in the ass other days. I try to just lean over him in the crib and pat / rub his belly and sing twinkle twinkle, but if he keeps crying I break down and pick him up. So now, I can tell, he’s gotten used to me picking him up and that’s almost the only way I can get him to fall back asleep. Boo. I feel like I started a bad habit. —Anyone have any suggestions for putting baby down awake?— I think this process will get much easier when we start sleep training, but I don’t plan to do that for a few months.

I also need to start weaning him from the swaddle, but I’m so scared. Not really scared, but man, I don’t want to go through the process! He still jerks his arms up when he’s sleeping and it’ll jolt him awake, hence me still swaddling him. But now that he’s getting bigger and is really starting to enjoy sucking his thumb I’m thinking it might be time to stop the swaddle. This way at night he can suck his thumb to soothe himself. Plus, once he’s starts to turn over I know we’re gonna need to stop the swaddling.  I’m back and forth between the one-arm approach or just loosing the swaddle all together.

Now that he’s in to a little bit more of a routine and is getting more social I’m thinking of finding, or starting, a mom’s group. I just really enjoy getting together with other mamas to swap stories. Plus, it’ll be nice for Logan to have some little friends to hang out with in a few months when he really starts moving.

See all of Logan’s Weekly Updates here

1 RavieNomNoms July 10, 2013 at 8:58 am

Look at that baby! He is just gorgeous Steph. What a good mama you are 🙂

2 Kim Wagner July 10, 2013 at 9:15 am

You’re doing great. I don’t know you, personally, but I feel confident I can say that to you, Steph. My baby is 8 1/2 months old and I can remember feeling all of what you keep saying each week. Let me encourage you by saying each month it does get easier. You do understand your baby and his needs more and know what he likes to take care of them.
As far as the naps go, if you don’t want to sleep train just yet, I’m not sure if you’re going to be able to get him to go down awake on his own. What has worked for us is to set a timer for 5 minutes once he starts crying. If he is still crying, then I go up and pick him up and calm him down. The 5 minutes is long enough to tire him out from his crying, but not too long that he gets too worked up to require lots of time to calm him down. But every baby is different. Books are helpful and full of good information, but they are just a guide. Babies aren’t cookie cutters. And you have to be willing and flexible.
Hope that helps and encourages you! Best of luck!

3 Steph July 12, 2013 at 7:08 am

Thanks for the encouragement LOL!! We plan to sleep train, but gonna wait maybe another month

4 Nichole July 10, 2013 at 10:40 am

It’s the best feeling when you start to feel like you are finally getting the hang of the mothering thing! I’m glad you are feeling more and more comfortable. My advice for the sleep thing is to follow your gut. If it feels wrong to let him cry then don’t! If you think he can handle a little fussing and that it will help him fall asleep then do that! I can tell from your posts that you are already doing a great job of this since you are not doing the whole “sleep tranining” thing yet (I’ve always felt people start that sooner than necessary) but truly as the mom, you will know how to help your baby sleep. For me, with my son, I basically had to sleep with my son for the first year of his life and then after that Daddy got to help too since I stopped breastfeeding him at 15 months (since I was pregnant and couldn’t handle it anymore). He’s almost 3 now and we still lay with him a little bit to help him fall asleep but he is finally doing much better falling asleep on his own. “Crying it out” was not an option for my son since he would work himself up so much that he never fell asleep, just got really really upset. Now with my daughter (14 months now and still breastfeeding, she’s an entirely different sleeper and we have routinely allowed her to fuss a little from a very young age because I could tell that she wasn’t really upset, just getting comfortable before she would pop her thumb in her mouth and fall asleep. She is a dream baby when it comes to sleep. All that to say don’t listen to books, blogs, hearsay, etc about what is the RIGHT and ONLY thing to do. You MUST do what feels right for your baby. 🙂 You’re already doing so great so just keep on, keepin’ on! Oh, and I had HUGE babies too and let me tell you when Logan starts walking you are going to MISS those rolls so kiss them often now!! 🙂

5 Steph July 12, 2013 at 7:07 am

You’re so right about the following your gut thing! Even though the books are packed with helpful tips, we each know what our little babies need and want

6 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking July 10, 2013 at 11:37 am

He is just the cutest baby boy, Steph! Congrats on hitting 13 weeks! Sounds like you’re all really starting to “mesh” as a family.

7 Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. July 10, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Glad things are starting to get easier for you guys!

8 Jocelyn @ BruCrew Life July 11, 2013 at 12:11 am

Oh how I love chunky sweet babies!! He’s gorgeous! It sounds like you are doing great!!

9 Anita at Hungry Couple July 11, 2013 at 5:06 am

You’re doing great. So glad you’re getting over the new infant hump and enjoying being a mama.

10 Emily July 11, 2013 at 6:45 am

He *is* a big dude!! Great job, mama! We talk about sleep and naps all the time these days in our house and, while there are definitely things to help our little guy (and us!) sleep more/better, we are also waiting on the heavy training. When I put him in his crib sometimes I give him a little jiggle with my hand to help him zone out. Also I noticed that he often makes eye contact (and keeps himself awake) with me so sometimes I close my eyes as I stand there and comfort him. Weird, but seems to work!

11 alex July 12, 2013 at 10:37 pm

so many people say it gets easier after that “fourth trimester” is over. You really do start to figure them out! We had the hardest time dropping the swaddle also! It was about 5 months before she was out of it. I did the one arm approach and it helped. I totally recommend a mom’s group! I still have weekly get togethers with my mom’s group! They are such a source of support and our babies are all buddies! It’s great!