Logan: 14 Weeks Old

July 16, 2013

I tried the one armed swaddle approach and wanted to shoot myself.

‘Member I was telling you that last week Logan had started to break out of the swaddle more and I was thinking about starting the no swaddle transition? Well, after 2 days, we’re back in the full swaddle.

I started the process at night. Put him down for bed with one arm out of the swaddle and actually didn’t have much of a problem. He slept his normal sleep and I got super excited. So the next day for naps I did the same thing, one arm out. Within ten minutes of putting him down, he was wide awake. The arm was the culprit. I thought he would stick his thumb in his mouth and suck on it to soothe himself back to sleep. WRONG. He was using his arm to rub his eyes, flap up and down, pull on the other side of the swaddle, everything but soothe.

I kept trying through the rest of that day’s naps. They were all only 15 minutes long. I coulda died.

Nighttime came and I decided to hold strong and stick to my guns. I left the arm out, not knowing I was in for the night from hell. Every 45 minutes on.the.dot. my child was waking up crying. At about 2 am it got 100 times worse. He woke up crying, so I would go in and pick him up, he’d fall asleep, I’d set him down, and as soon as I was climbing back in bed he would be crying again. This happened until 5 am. When he finally gave up and fell asleep until 7. I felt like a zombie and almost like I did when he was a newborn.

The next day I tried two more naps with one arm out. Again, they were only 15 minutes long. And that’s when I gave up. I swaddled up that second arm, gave him his paci, did a little rockin’ and he was out like a light. I laid him in the crib and he took a two hour nap! Swaddle = heaven.

I’ve decided that he is not ready yet for unswaddling. And actually since I started re-swaddling him all the way he has slept from 8 pm to 4 am. He’s never done that before! [Not to mention that I’ve started trying to pump him up with more milk right before bed. I feed him about 4 oz at 4 pm, then at 6:30 pm, and then bed time at 7:45.] Whichever one of these it is that’s getting him to sleep through the night, I don’t care. I’m just happy to be getting some sleep! I’m thinking though about looking in to the Magic Merlin suit and maybe trying again in a few weeks.

Other than that little hiccup in the week, this little man is turning in to a ball of laughing energy! It seems like he has started to learn that laughing is funny, so he just likes to do it all the time. I love it!

See all of Logan’s Weekly Updates here

1 Anita at Hungry Couple July 16, 2013 at 7:45 am

Patience, little mama, patience. All things in their good time. Maybe the whole world needs a little swaddling… 🙂

2 Steph July 17, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I know, I know…and yes, I could totally use an adult swaddle!

3 Lindsay July 16, 2013 at 8:58 am

I just got the Merlin sleepsuit bc my little one has became an escape artist in his swaddle. One night he had scooted 180 degrees around and his swaddle looked like a belt! It seems to work just as good as the swaddle to keep him asleep, but he doesnt sleep more or less than before. We still do swaddle in the day though, def a light napper.

4 Steph July 17, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I just ordered the suit…gonna give it a go. Logan is just too big for the biggest swaddle I can find LOL, so hopefully this will work!

5 Christina @ The Beautiful Balance July 16, 2013 at 12:51 pm

He is too cute for words!! Those tiny little toes are the best!

6 Steph July 17, 2013 at 2:47 pm

🙂 Thanks!

7 Renee @ Tortillas and Honey July 17, 2013 at 10:42 am

Your baby has the most beautiful eyes!!!

8 amy @ fearless homemaker July 18, 2013 at 10:13 am

GAH, he is such a cutie!! I love this post because it gives me a heads-up of what to expect in a few weeks – our little one is 6 weeks. =) We are still doing the full on swaddle and it definitely helps her sleep so much better. When she does manage to wiggle an arm out, naptime is totally over – I know exactly what you mean about the arm rubbing the face, stroking the hair, tugging at the swaddle, flapping up and down. HA!

9 Steph July 19, 2013 at 7:57 am

I just ordered the Magic Merlin suit, and I’ll post my review on the blog…hoping this is the answer to the swaddle breakouts

10 Emily @ A Cambridge Story July 21, 2013 at 5:43 am

Looking forward to hearing what you think about the sleep suit. Our guy has been escaping from
his swaddles this week & we are going to give the suit a try.

11 alex July 21, 2013 at 4:02 pm

we didn’t lose the swaddle until 5 months. I tried, but she always startled herself. I was really worried about it, but my good mama friend said, “I”m sure she’s not going to be wearing it to college!” sometimes they just like to do things when they like, not when we might like! I’ve heard great things about that Merlin suit. He is really changing! so cute!

12 Steph July 23, 2013 at 9:25 am

LOL, these babies and their swaddles! I tell ya!

13 chatie August 16, 2013 at 9:19 am

I just love reading your blog, I have a 14 week old baby boy and I could totally relate to your posts! Thanks for posting and keep it coming 🙂
BTW, I read that your doing tracy Hogg’s eat activity sleep, do you dreamfeed your baby too?

14 Steph August 19, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I tried the dreamfeed for a few nights when Logan was like 10 weeks old and it didn’t make any difference in his sleep habits, so I just gave up on it. I couldn’t see the point of doing it if he was just gonna wake up again in an hour anyways.