Get Fit Mama: Week 15

July 28, 2013

I’m so nervous!

The last two runs I have done have totally KILLED my knee. It used to hurt a lot after running before I had Logan, but now it feels way worse. I could barely even walk around the house after yesterday’s run. It’s making me think that my time of being a long distance runner is quickly coming to an end. Usually I just push through the hurt and keep on going, but now I’m starting to think differently. I don’t want to sacrifice my body and it’s well being for long mileage. So, I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place…ugh…I just wish my knee would feel better!!! For the moment I’m still gonna continue on with training and try to do more knee building exercises and stretching to see if that helps. [Any suggestions?]

I’ve also got this serious itch to start heavy weight training again. I haven’t had a gym membership for 3 years, but I find myself suddenly craving squat machines and heavy weights. Years ago I had started to train for a fitness figure competition, I ended up stopping the training because I signed up for my first marathon with Team in Training, but I loved getting in to the gym and just working my ass off.

Since finding Truly Jess I feel an obsession with heavy weight lifting coming back on. This week I’ve been doing weight training workouts at home, using some of my heavier dumbbells, and it feels so good. I just want to start seeing that definition in my muscle again. I don’t want anything crazy, just some good tone.

Do you prefer heavy workouts?

I’m still not seeing the scale move, but I’m at a point right now where I’m starting to accept it. Knowing that I still need to keep up my nourishment to be able to produce a good milk supply, I’ve kind of figured that I’ll hold on to these last 5 pounds until I’m done breastfeeding little man. It seems like my body just needs it. I think that’s the hardest part though, is trying to make sure to take in enough calories while breastfeeding and working out. Some days I don’t think I’ve eaten enough, so it’s something I really need to pay attention to. Logan’s health is way more important than me trying to loose the last bit of weight.

I was trying to do a daily vlog for you guys to to show my workouts, eats, and thoughts during the day, but it wasn’t turning out the way I want. So I’m gonna rethink how to do them and then start up again. What would you want to see in a daily video from me? Or do you even like the idea of a daily video? I’d love to get your feedback so I now exactly what you’d like to see!

Here’s my workouts from the week:

Sunday: 6 mile run
Monday: rest
Tuesday: 3.5 mile run Fitnessista HIIT It, Fitnessista Tabata Thursday
Wednesday: Jaime Eason’s Triceps and Chest Workout, Amanda Russell’s Full Night on the Town Crazy Intense Workout
Thursday: 3 mile run, Jaime Eason’s Back and Biceps Workout
Friday: Jaime Eason’s Leg and Calves Workout, Blonde Ponytail Lean Legs Workout
Saturday: 3 mile run
Sunday: rest

And here’s a good leg workout to get that burn going!

1 Christina @ The Beautiful Balance July 28, 2013 at 5:14 pm

I would love to see daily videos!!

2 Steph July 28, 2013 at 7:30 pm

What kind of stuff would you like to see in the videos?

3 Anna July 28, 2013 at 6:47 pm

With each of my four kids, my body refused to shed those last few pounds until I stopped breastfeeding. I guess our bodies know best. 🙂

4 Steph July 29, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I think so! Just gotta give in and listen to it

5 Honey What's Cooking July 28, 2013 at 8:27 pm

wow… did you use the belt in help keeping things in tact and to avoid loose skin? just wondering if women are using that or not? this is so impressive, you workout a LOT. good for you.

6 Steph July 29, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Not belt here, thought about getting it, but just never got around to it

7 Stephanie July 29, 2013 at 4:14 am

Don’t worry about those last 5 lbs. I breast fed all 3 of my boys, I didn’t loose the last 5 or so until I stopped breast feeding. This meant I didn’t have a waist until I stopped. Keep being a great Mom.

8 Steph July 29, 2013 at 3:25 pm

LOL, that’s what I’m starting to think!

9 Di July 29, 2013 at 10:09 am

Steph…I have some ideas: patio and at-home work-outs, meal vlogs “food diary”, recipe/cooking videos, beauty routine, fashion/wardrobe – outfits now that you’re a new mom, DIY’s (like when you did the baby dresser), relationship advice – how you have a halthy marriage…
BTW, I thought the videos were going well!

10 Katrina July 29, 2013 at 11:19 am

I love all of these ideas! I’d also like to see a day of your eats!

11 Steph July 29, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I think I can show some eats!!

12 Steph July 29, 2013 at 3:17 pm

YES!! Thank you for all these ideas!! Just what I was looking for

13 Kristin @ Operation Nutrition July 29, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Your post is so similar to what I wrote this morning. I recently just stared having knee pain too (first time in my life) from running. It’s such a horrible feeling (both physically and mentally). I also just recently started lifting heavy weights. I am loving it!

14 Steph July 29, 2013 at 3:14 pm

HATE the knee pain! I just bought a new knee brace, gonna give that a try

15 Anita at Hungry Couple July 31, 2013 at 11:21 am

I think you’re doing amazing. I just joined a gym (my first one ever!) and hired a personal trainer (my first one ever!). He’s kicking my ass but I love it. I have bad knees so running will always be out but I can do a fast walk on the treadmill and the bike is great knee exercise. My favorite are the weight machines, though. 🙂

16 Steph July 31, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Yay for a new gym membership!!!!

17 jeannette July 31, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I would love to see a quickie of the food you eat! it’s always interesting and super informative! maybe show what weights you are using and a few quickie shots of each workout?

ps. I think you look GREAT!!! just the way you are. right now. fabulous.
pps. lifting weights is a whooooooole other beast. but dang it feels amazing. I was a cardio bunny and not losing any weight and toning nothing but my calves. I started taking the weight class at my local gym and holy toning, batman!! I have muscles!!! (who knew?!) they are small, but they are mine. I think every woman should lift. we need to spread the word that lifting does not make you manly or bulky.

18 Steph July 31, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Thanks for the video suggestions!! And for the sweet comment 🙂 Yes, we gotta break the bad rap of weights!

19 Micheal Bradon September 24, 2016 at 7:59 pm

Your workouts are great. I like… They are also pretty useful for crossfitters. ^^