Logan: 20 Weeks Old

August 27, 2013

I don’t think I’m ever going to mention anything again about how good Logan is sleeping.

Last week I told you that he was sleeping through the night right. Well the night I went out and told the world that, Logan decided, no-no. No more sleeping through the night. We’re now back to waking up twice or even three times through the night. Boo. It was nice while it lasted.

And speaking of sleep, I’m on the path to start transitioning Logan out of the sleep suit. I know, I know. Just when we have something that works, I go and change it. But I only wanted to suit to transition away from the swaddle. And we’ve been using the suit for almost two months now. Logan is just getting too big for it, and I’d really like him to be able to sleep without anything.

He’s already gotten really attached to it. I tried the other day to have him nap without the suit and he cried for 10 minutes. So I put only his legs in the sleep suit and he was fine. I did the same thing for nap #2 and he was fine. For bedtime I put him down without the suit and he fell asleep fine, but woke up every hour [shoot me!!!] crying. At midnight, when he woke up for the fifth time I said screw it, and put him back in the suit…he slept the rest of the night. aye-yi-yi.

So, my plan is to have him sleep for a few days with his arms out of the suit. Then a few nights with one foot out. Then both feet out. I’m hoping I can slowly get him used to not sleeping with the suit. We shall see.

In other news…holy snaggle tooth! LOL!!! Logan little tooth is probably 1/3 of the way up now. You can totally see it when he smiles, and it makes his little grin look so goofy. Gawd how I miss the gums. I think he knows that the has this little sharp tool now too because he has started coming at me mouth wide open and nibbles on my check and neck, then he just laughs. It’s so cute. He is still doing really well with the whole teething thing too. He has tiny moments of fussiness, but for the most part, that is it. He’s a little champ.

I hardly notice the tooth when he feeds, thank goodness. There have been a few times where he will yank off when he’s done feeding and I get a little pull from the tooth, but it’s nothing I can’t handle. It’ll be interesting to see how it goes when more of those little teethies start showing up.

Oh, I almost forgot…LOGAN CAN ROLL OVER!!!

I was sitting with him on the floor eating breakfast and he was reaching for one of the toys on his playmat and whooop there he went!! He kept going from back to tummy but couldn’t get back over. It would be so funny because I’d go to the bathroom or to change the laundry and I could hear him doing his “I’m stuck on my tummy and I can’t get back” grunt. This all happened maybe four days ago. After rolling over almost all day that first day, he’s now gone back to the side to side roll. This kid, I tell ya! He gives you a little peek and then takes it away.

My little guy had turned in to a huge chatter back. Grunt, moans, blowing bubbles, sucking and popping his lip, squeals, and high pitched laughs. He just doesn’t stop. He has these moments too where he will get the most serious face and start babbling away, like he’s telling a story, so I just play along. Asking him questions to keep him talking.  He’ll babble on for minutes!

We got him a new jumper yesterday and he loves it. It’s amazing how quickly he learned all the little toys on it and how to stabilize himself in the chair. When I first set him it it he just kind of fell forward and had his little head slumped over. But about two minutes later, he was sitting straight up grabbing at the toys and starting to bounce on his feet. I’m hoping this will start to help him be able to sit up on his own easier. Like I mentioned in a previous post, Logan is 2 pounds away from being too heavy to sit in his carseat carrier safely. So we are getting ready to transition him to a bigger carseat, but it doesn’t have a carrier. Problem being that if he can’t sit up and we don’t have a carrier, we have nothing to sit him in if we go to a restaurant or to the grocery store. Either way though the new carseat is coming and we might just have to tote along the carrier to bring indoors with us.

I can’t believe I’ve had Logan in my life now for five months [almost]. It’s so funny because I can’t remember my life without him, but wow these five months went fast!

See all of Logan’s Weekly Updates here

1 Joanne August 27, 2013 at 5:22 am

The difference from week 1 to now is crazy!! Maybe now that you’ve complained about him not sleeping through the night, he’ll start again? 😛

2 Steph August 27, 2013 at 9:29 am

I know right!!!

3 Ali August 27, 2013 at 7:26 am

I just thought about it and I remembered at week 19, they go through a wonder week. It’s a developmental stage where they have trouble sleeping and can be a little more clingy and fussy. I notice it in Aiden with his sleep. We are actually having one now. Last week he was sleeping pretty well and then the last few nights, I noticed it more. Check it out. Also, what about a carrier for Logan… like an ergo, moby, or sling or something for the grocery store and places where you would bring an infant carrier to? That’s what I do in the stores anyways. As for restaurants, that’s a little tougher.

4 Steph August 27, 2013 at 9:28 am

Ooh wonder week! That makes so much sense!!! I’ve got both a moby and an ergo and have thought about using that for my store outings!

5 LT August 27, 2013 at 8:56 am

Do you have him in the 6-9 month suit? If he is still so dependent on it, he might still need it. I thought my son (12.5 months now) would never be able to sleep without it, and we kept putting him in the 6-9 month one until we couldn’t get his legs into it because it was too short, which was probably at 7 or 8 months because he is tall. One night I just put him in a sleep and play and he had no problems going to sleep, and the Merlin suit was officially retired! If it is so hard to get him to sleep without it maybe wait a few weeks and try again. Also, if he is teething or going through a developmental leap you might not want to try anything new because he’ll already have sleep issues and changing things up for him will make it worse. Sleep regressions are so frustrating, but so common. As soon as you have some good sleep going then bam, the poor baby gets a new tooth, gets sick, goes through a developmental leap, learns a new skill, or you go on a trip and you are back to sleepless nights. It will get better again though! Good luck!

6 Steph August 27, 2013 at 9:28 am

Those were my thoughts exactly…holding out until he’s done with these little teethies coming in. But Ladt night we did the arms out again and he did ok with it, so I think we’re gonna keep on this slow adjustment track 🙂

7 Michelle August 27, 2013 at 9:33 am

OMG This all just happens so fast! Keep us updated about that tooth and nursing. I’m very nervous myself about that!

8 Racheal @ Running with Racheal August 27, 2013 at 10:10 am

What a cutie!

I experienced the same blog-jinx with sleep. As soon as I would say that she slept through the night, the next night she was up every hour. Ha!

9 Steph August 28, 2013 at 10:56 am

Mum is the word when it comes to sleep now!!

10 Dana August 27, 2013 at 10:16 am

Just wondering…why do you want him to sleep with no sleepsack? He’s only 20 months old…and he is SO CUTE!!

11 Steph August 28, 2013 at 10:56 am

I don’t have a real reason, he’s just getting kind of big and would like to try getting him used to no suit before he becomes REALLY attached

12 Zainab August 27, 2013 at 11:16 am

They see me rollin!! Aiee he is so cute. Is his tooth bothering him? Is that why he might be back to not sleeping through the night?

13 Steph August 28, 2013 at 10:55 am

I’m not sure if it’s the tooth or just a sleep regression. It’s so hard to tell what exactly is the cause since so many things are going on at once LOL. That’s the hardest part of being a parent I think. You just never know.

14 Emma August 28, 2013 at 4:31 am

that little face! Adorable!

15 Emily August 29, 2013 at 3:39 pm

ohhh sleep regressions. we’ve been in one all month! and finally just emerging. they are so tough – and even tougher than those early, early weeks almost because you get used to SOME sleep. Hang in there!