Logan: 22 Weeks Old

September 10, 2013

Hello tooth number two!

I never would have imagined that at 5 months old my little baby would have not one but TWO teeth! Ah geez. It’s so exciting, but so heartbreaking all at the same time. He just looks so old now. Definitely not a little teeny tiny baby any more. Boohoohoooooo [kinda].

He’s a little fussy with this second tooth coming in, nothing terrible, but that’s about it. No fever, no vomiting, no diarrhea. A few days before the little tooth hole showed up he was sleep all the way through the night, just like he did with tooth #1, and naps were back to two hours. Then the tooth hole appeared and he started waking up twice in the night and naps went back to 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. So, I can definitely tell that when the tooth hole shows up and the little tooth bud is getting ready to come out he feels it the most.

Tooth #1 is almost all the way up, I think. I guess I don’t know how “tall” the tooth is supposed to get, but it looks pretty tall. And OMG, little bug actually bit me yesterday!! No joke. I was carrying him and he was gnawing on my shoulder and CHOMP, he bit me. It hurt so bad and even left a bruise/mark! I know he didn’t mean to do it, but I told him “Logan, don’t bite mommy. That’s not nice and it hurts.” He looked up at me and smiled and started laughing. And so it begins.

And a side note to the biting while breastfeeding: He’s done it a few times to me now, but it’s in the middle of the night when he’s feeding and is pretty much asleep. So there’s nothing really I do. I flinch a little because it hurts and it startles me, but I just try to keep quiet. If he were to start biting me during the day when he’s feeding and is awake I think I might give him a light, LIGHT smack on the cheek. I’ve heard that’s what you do to make them realize that biting is a no-no. But, he hasn’t done that to me yet.

We —- actually I —– switched out Logan’s car seat the other day. He is over the weight limit now for his little carrier, so it was time for a bigger carseat. We have one that was given to us that will actually work with Logan until he’s 100 pounds. But can I just say that installing carseats is a bitch. It took me two hours to figure out the stupid thing. You think that it’s gonna be a cinch because of these new latch systems that cars have. But no. I was struggling with the damn thing forever. I came out of the garage dripping with sweat and feeling like I had done some hard core Crossfit workout. I still wanna take it to the fire department and have them check to make sure I’ve got it in right, but I’m pretty sure it’s right.

And I hate it. I hate not having the carrier. It was so much easier to just click his little carrier in to the base and off we go. Now, trying to juggle carrying him in my arms, the diaper bag, my water bottle, open the door, set all my crap down, place him in the seat…it’s a lot of work! And it’s hard to bend over in my car and get him buckled in. I know it’s just gonna take some getting used to, but these first two days of it have not bee fun. Although Logan doesn’t seem to mind it. I don’t even know if he’s noticed.

Rolling over from back to tummy is no problem now. He flips over so suddenly now that it blows my mind. I’ll put a toy a little bit away from him and tell him to go get it and whoop there he goes. I have no clue how he’s gonna roll from his tummy to his back. It seems like it’s gonna take a lot of work for him to do it. And to be honest I think he might learn to crawl before he learns to roll back over. His little legs kick so much when he’s on his tummy that I’m just waiting for some scooting action to happen.

Since Logan is 5 months now, solid foods are on the horizon. We’re waiting until our 6 month visit with the pediatrician to start him on foods, but I’ve been reading a lot about Baby Led Weaning and think this is the route I want to go. Or to try first and see how he does with it. For those of you that already have babies that are eating solid foods, did you do Baby Led Weaning? I’d love to hear more about it!!!

Other things this week: the jumperoo is officially Logan’s favorite thing…EVER. When we carry Logan he sits straight up now, no more wobbling, and loves to grab at your face. Little dude can hold his own bottle. High pitched squeals and farting mouth noises are all we hear from him. I put a 9 month onesie on him the other day and it was too small. <—- not good since I just bought him a bunch of fall clothes in 9 month size. Teething rings placed in the freezer, not the fridge, are his favorite thing to chomp on. He’s obsessed with my hair, if I have it down and it falls in his face his loves to just run his fingers through it.

I just can’t get enough of him!

See all of Logan’s Weekly Updates here

1 Jinky September 10, 2013 at 3:01 am

Yay!!! first to comment :).. I just cant get enough of baby Logan’s pics, I’ll always check for your post on his weekly progress. He’s really getting cutier (is that the word?, spell checker doesn’t think so! but anyway, that’s that 🙂 ) in every pics you posted. You really did a great job in reaising him!! Kuddos Steph!!

2 Racheal @ Running with Racheal September 10, 2013 at 5:59 am

What a cutie! Cutting teeth is the worst, but they do make for a pretty cute smile!

We did purees at first with Ina, but then she just wanted what we were eating, so we sort of switched to baby led weaning.

If I had to do it over again, and with my next child I will probably start with something easy like steamed carrots of little pieces of sweet potato and go from there.

There are two complications:
1. The mess. Strip him down to his diaper and put a trash bag under his highchair.
2. Choking. Ina looks like she is choking often when she is eating, but really she is just moving the food around in her mouth and within a second she is fine again. Let me tell you, that took some getting used to, but now we know what to look for.

Good luck! Email me if you have any more questions!

3 Steph September 11, 2013 at 9:31 am

Thanks Racheal! I’m starting to get more excited about this whole process!

4 Jennie @themessybakerblog September 10, 2013 at 6:57 am

I can’t believe how fast he’s growing. They get so big, so fast. His eyes are stunning. Watch out, momma, the ladies are gonna love him when he gets older.

5 Meagan @ A Zesty Bite September 10, 2013 at 10:20 am

Oh my gosh I just love looking at his pictures — look at that blonde hair.

6 Danielle @ Runs with Spatulas September 10, 2013 at 12:34 pm

We are doing baby led weaning right now and loving it! We’re only a month in, but she’s picked up on what to do with food pretty fast. Just be prepared for people (and even your pedi) to not fully understand what you’re doing. Our pedi had never heard of it and most people we tell about it just get a very confused look.

It’s even funnier to watch them when we say her first food was asparagus. Then the “you’re joking, right?” look when we tell them she loves broccoli, asparagus, and tomatoes — definitely not foods you typically associate with babies loving at 7 months.

It’s nice to not have to fight with her over shoving unidentifiable food on a spoon into her mouth. And I’ve found when we’re just doing fruits/veggies it’s typically less or as messy than spoon-fed. Now when we do something like mac & cheese, well, she’s definitely getting a bath to get all the cheese out of her hair. It’s also nice to not have to worry “did she eat enough?” — she’ll eat what she wants and then has as much milk as she wants. (Which is nice because she actually still hardly eats any solid food right now, just plays and tastes.)

And on a totally different note — get a carrier for the store! I know you said he can’t sit yet, so a carrier is perfect for you. We actually never took Evie into the store in her carseat unless it was a super quick trip, she always went into her carrier. It gives you all the room back in your cart and it lets them actually see what’s going on around them instead of having to stare at the ceiling. We have the Beco Gemini which I love, but Ergos and Boba’s are good too.

7 Steph September 11, 2013 at 9:27 am

Thank you for ALL this information!!

8 Mackenzie {SusieFreakingHomemaker} September 10, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I feel like you just gave birth and I don’t understand how it’s possible that he’s 22 weeks old! ahh!!!

9 Christina @ The Beautiful Balance September 10, 2013 at 5:30 pm

He’s so handsome with his little side-part-action going on!!!

10 Erin | The Law Student's Wife September 10, 2013 at 9:18 pm

What a cutie pants!!! Love the chalkboard idea too. I’m definitely going to share it with a friend who just had a baby boy!

11 Monet September 10, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Oh he is so big and sweet! I can’t believe he has two teeth! I think Lucy might be an early teether…and I’m so worried about her biting me! It was good to hear your perspective and plan. Yikes! Thank you for sharing. He is precious!

12 Veronica September 11, 2013 at 1:28 am

I think you might have to get a bigger chalkboard soon – he’s almost outgrown it! He certainly is growing up fast.

13 Rachel September 11, 2013 at 9:02 am