Reducing Techno

August 2, 2011

I did something shocking while I was on my girls only trip.

Something that I didn’t think I could do.

For 48 hours I did not use my cell phone, I didn’t watch TV, and I didn’t listen to the radio!

Sounds crazy, right?!

DSC_0004-1

The first few hours of no cell service kind of irritated me, but after I realized that wasn’t going to change I just let it go. Instead of texting there was lots of talking. Instead of TV watching there was game playing. Instead of pop jams there was laughter.

It was actually very peaceful to not worry about checking emails, tweeting my daily plans, and scrolling through the latest Facebook gossip.

DSC_0009-1

I realized that I rely way too much on technology to keep me entertained.

I’m not trying to say that I’m giving up on technology! Let’s get real. We know I could never give up The Real Housewives Series or Instagram on my iPhone.

DSC_0021-1

I just want to be more conscious of how much time I’m spending in front of the TV and texting away.

With that being said I am enjoying a heavenly slice of Cinnamon Chip Coffee Cake while sitting out on the porch and reading my Nook. One goal I’ve made now is to try and read at least once a day, whether it’s for ten minutes or for hours.

My current read is Year of Wonder. What’s on your summer reading list?

DSC_0017-1

Cinnamon Chip Coffee Cake
From Hershey’s

Ingredients
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup of sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup applesauce
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

10 oz package Hershey’s Cinnamon Chips

Directions
Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

Beat butter and granulated sugar in large bowl on medium speed of mixer until well blended. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Mix in applesauce. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until well blended. Stir in cinnamon chips. Spread in prepared pan.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.

1 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts August 2, 2011 at 7:50 am

Cinnamon chips?! What a great idea to put these in coffee cake! I think my 6 year old would give you a great big hug if he knew you came up with these – He is a freak for cinnamon! Love my Nook – couldn’t give that technology up :)

2 Donna @ Life of a Happy Blonde August 2, 2011 at 8:00 am

Where do i get some cinnamon chips? That looks awesome!
I love forgetting my cell phone at home sometimes, (thats the only time i don’t have it is when i forget it, lol!) I used to be really bad with texting ALL the time but i’ve definitely started to ease off a little + it gives me something to look forward to reading once i get my paws back on my iPhone :D

3 Steph August 3, 2011 at 9:55 am

I just found mine at the grocery store. One day they were just there :)

4 chelsea August 2, 2011 at 8:08 am

I just finished reading The Help last night :) I was up till 2am!

5 Steph August 3, 2011 at 9:54 am

I’m half way though The Help! Can’t wait for the movie!

6 Kelly August 2, 2011 at 8:09 am

Wow this looks fantastic and your pictures are gorgeous!! :)

7 Brandi @ The Vitamin Bee August 2, 2011 at 8:30 am

Ditto, where can I find these cinnamon chips! I want to make this!

I have a huge reading list but I’m currently reading Into the Woods for my book club!

I’m really bad with my cell phone too but I agree, sometimes it’s nice to unplug, even if it is unintentional.

8 Steph August 3, 2011 at 9:51 am

I found the cinnamon chips at my local grocer

9 Lindsey@Lindselicious August 2, 2011 at 9:36 am

I totally agree with you- I always wonder how many hours of my life is wasted away in front of the computer. I try not to go online during the weekend unless I am looking up something, so I can ween myself off. This coffee cake looks so moist and yummy. I bet the cinnamon chips in there add a nice kick to it too! My coffee this morning seems lonely without a slice- I might have to go to starbucks and settle for their coffee cake. =)

10 Rachel @ Bakerita August 2, 2011 at 9:48 am

When I was recently in Bali, I didn’t have internet or phone access for 10 days. It was pretty nice being disconnected from the world for a little while!

This looks delicious, I’ve actually never used cinnamon chips but I love coffee cake so I’ll have to try this out!

11 Steph August 3, 2011 at 9:50 am

Whoa! 10 days!! Not sure if I could pull that off ;)

12 Maria August 2, 2011 at 10:30 am

Nice to see you had a leisure time without techy stuff… nice cake want a bite of it now :)

13 Treat and Trick August 2, 2011 at 11:40 am

Fantastic clicks and looks tempting!

14 Carolyn August 2, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Unplugging can feel so good, I find that when I am away from these things, I don’t miss them. But I use them so much when I am around them!
Fantastic coffee cake, I could use a slice right now.

15 Kate@Diethood.com August 2, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I need to do that soon…. I am married to my blackberry and my laptop… unplugging sounds like great therapy!

I am having a cup of tea right now and I wouldn’t mind a slice of your deliciousness… The coffee cake sounds so good!

16 Charlie August 2, 2011 at 4:52 pm

This cake looks amazing! I love cinnamon but never tried cinnamon chips.

17 Emily @ Life on Food August 2, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I love using cinnamon chips in cookies. I have never thought of adding them to cake. What a great way to amp up the taste in coffee cake. Love it!

18 Cassie @ Bake Your Day August 2, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Your trip sounds awesome, I love being able to unplug! This sounds and looks so moist and delicious! I will be making this the next time I have house guests!

19 mochachocolatarita August 2, 2011 at 7:18 pm

i feel you…sometimes i am wondering if i can survive without all the electronics distractions as well…

20 Happy When Not Hungry August 2, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Sometimes it’s nice to just turn everything off and tune out!! This coffee cake looks amazing. I’m obsessed with cinnamon chips!

21 Chrissy August 3, 2011 at 12:26 am

Yum, yum YUM!!! I love coffee cake, but I’ve never made it with cinnamon chips. Love this idea!

22 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli August 3, 2011 at 8:51 am

I’ve done the same thing! It’s nice to “unplug” every once in a while…helps you to appreciate the finer things!

That coffee cake looks delish! Where oh where did you find cinnamon chips?? I have a cooke recipe that I’ve been dying to try for years that calls for cinnamon chips but I’ve never been able to find them!

23 Steph August 3, 2011 at 9:48 am

I found mine just at the grocery store, I had to go to a few different ones to find them

24 Jessica @ Bake a Little August 3, 2011 at 11:18 am

These look delicious and so simple! I am going to have to try them! Thanks for sharing!

25 briarrose August 3, 2011 at 11:45 am

I’m not sure I could have lasted the 48hrs. ;)

This is the coffee cake I want to wake up for…..great pictures.