Pumpkin Spice Latte Coffee Cake

September 23, 2011

I can’t believe my little doggie snuck on and posted for me yesterday! He knew I was in no mood for blogging. Such a good little doggie! I’m glad you guys enjoyed his post

He’s my new substitute blogger.

While trying to come out of my “weading” coma I had to make a run to Starbucks and satisfy my pumpkin spice latte craving. Starbucks always helps a coma.

And I may or may not have picked up a slice of pumpkin bread too. When pumpkin season comes around I don’t mess around. I go full force!

So while sipping on my pumpkin latte and eating (or not eating) my pumpkin loaf I started thinking of what I could make at home that would represent my love of Starbuck’s pumpkiny treats.

I started browsing through recipes. Scones, pancakes, smoothies, cinnamon rolls. Nah, nah, nah. Then it was there. Coffee cake. And not just any ole regular coffee cake recipe. This would actually have coffee in it!

Pumpkin + Coffee + Cake = Best thing ever.

This cake could be my new favorite treat. Like seriously. It’s ahmazing.

Super moist, full of pumpkin flavor, and then the coffee cream cheese swirl is that extra little surprise that brings the whole thing together. Please don’t judge me when I tell you that within the hour of this thing coming out of the oven I had already had three slices.

Um yeah. It’s true. This cake will not last very long. Especially because it’s Friday, and I have decided that this is the best way to celebrate the weekend!

Pumpkin Spice Latte Coffee Cake

1 cup sour cream

Spiced Coffee Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
2 tablespoons brewed coffee, cooled

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×9 baking pan with foil and spray with some non-stick cooking spray.

To make the coffee cream cheese swirl:
In a medium bowl beat cream cheese with an electric mixer for about 1 minute until fluffy and smooth. Add in the eggs, coffee granules, sugar, flour, vanilla extract, maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice. Mix on low until smooth and all ingredients are combined. The cream cheese might look at little chunky and that’s ok. Set mixture aside.

To make the Pumpkin Coffee Cake:
Whisk flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Set aside. In a separate small bowl mix the sour cream and pumpkin together with a spoon and set aside.

In a medium bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer on low for about 2 minutes. Add in your sugar 1/4 cup at a time, mixing until well combined. Add eggs one at a time and mix on low speed until incorporated.

Alternately add in the the flour mixture and the sour cream mixture. You want to start with the flour, then sour cream, flour, sour cream, and finish with the flour. Mixing well with each addition.

Pour 2/3 of the batter in to the prepared baking dish. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the top and with a spoon swirl into the cake batter. Top with remaining cake batter and bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

To make the Spiced Coffee Drizzle:
In a small bowl whisk together powdered sugar, cinnamon, ginger and brewed coffee. (You can use more coffee if glaze is too thick). Drizzle over cooled coffee cake.

1 Michelle O September 23, 2011 at 9:20 am

Stephanie this looks AMAZING! I want it right now.

2 Carolyn September 23, 2011 at 9:24 am

So funny! I was thinking of making a pumpkin spice latte cupcake…might have to get on that soon. This looks great, Steph. Buzzed it.

3 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts September 23, 2011 at 10:05 am

Loved your doggie post yesterday, very cute! I love the idea of pumpkin coffee cake, sounds so good. Regular coffee cake is a big hit around here!

4 RavieNomNoms September 23, 2011 at 11:24 am

Your doggie post was so much fun. Thanks for letting Baxter come play!

The coffee cake looks amazing. I mean really. So fantastic. I need to make something with pumpkin like ASAP. I keep seeing all these yummy recipes and I STILL have yet to make anything. Maybe I will just come and steal a piece of your cake…hehe 😉

5 Tina@flourtrader September 23, 2011 at 12:18 pm

The further down I read the recipe more delicious this gets. This is an amazing blend of flavors, but now I will have to leave this post craving some of this cake-Yum!

6 Liz September 23, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Oh, this is the perfect way to usher in autumn. Starting my day with this coffee cake would brighten my whole day!!! SOOoooo yummy!

7 Colleen Bierstine September 23, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Oh god this looks insanely good. I can’t…I don’t…I’m lost for words gahh.
Yum 🙂

8 Stephanie September 23, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Fantastic idea to turn my favorite drink into a cake!!!

9 Becky September 23, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I love this cake, especially with pumpkin latte flavor in a coffee cake with coffee glaze, and all of the flavors of fall. A perfect Fall dessert!

10 Lindsey@Lindselicious September 23, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Oooh this looks good- I love pumpkin flavored anything. I love how coffee is actually in it too.

11 Cassie @ Bake Your Day September 23, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Sounds absolutely delicious, Steph. I love the glaze and the cake looks so moist!

12 Hester aka The Chef Doc September 23, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Steph, you are a G-E-N-I-U-S! I am a huge lover of the Pumpkin Spice Latte and never usually go to Starbucks during the year otherwise. This cake is insane! What a great way to start off the weekend 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

13 Koko @ KokoLikes September 24, 2011 at 1:00 am

WOW this looks amazing, a must try for Fall!

14 Happy When Not Hungry September 24, 2011 at 6:15 am

Wow this looks beautiful! I’ve made pumpkin coffee cake before but never with the addition of the spiced coffee glaze. Great idea!!!

15 Baking Serendipity September 24, 2011 at 11:58 am

Not judging at all, just a little envious of those three slices you got to eat. This looks fantastic!

16 Kita September 25, 2011 at 7:24 am

This cake does sound killer. I haven’t dared touch anything pumpkin flavored yet – but I’m sure I won’t be able to hold out much longer!

17 torviewtoronto and createwithmom September 25, 2011 at 6:20 pm

lovely fall dessert looks wonderful

18 Kristen September 28, 2011 at 8:21 am

What a wonderful way to welcome Autumn! That sauce has me drooling on my keyboard. I am anxiously waiting the arrival of some pumpkin in my stores so I can get to baking!!

19 Meghan September 28, 2011 at 7:31 pm

This looks amazing!!! Don’t worry I definitely won’t judge you for eating three pieces, I’d probably do the same 🙂 This is going on my must make pumpkin list!