Winter Fruit Crockpot Crisp

December 12, 2011

Wanna know what’s better than a warm, cinnamony, gooey, winter fruit crisp?

DSC_0007

A warm, cinnamony, gooey, winter fruit crisp that’s made in a crockpot!

Tell me that doesn’t rock?

DSC_0011

Yesterday I ran in the Farolito 5k. Farolitos are essentially luminarias. And luminarias in New Mexico are a HUGE deal.

This was one of the most breathtaking races I have ever participated in.

The entire 3.1 mile trail was lined with luminarias!  GORG!! The race was held at 5:30 pm…which meant we were running in the dark…kind of spooky…but so beautiful! (I’ll be posting a race recap soon, because even though this is the shortest distance race I’ve run, this was by far one of the hardest races for me.)

DSC_0025

The race was also Fa-reezing. And I do mean Freezing with a capital F.

So to come home with frost bitten fingers and warm them up with a HUGE bowl of this was the best moment of my life. Literally.

DSC_0028

And you know that my bowl was bigger than these in the picture. I don’t do cute little dainty desserts. Although they do make for good pictures.

Like my new Christmas napkin?

DSC_0029

Besides my now completed Christmas tree, it’s the only Christmas decoration I have up, er out. Up or out? I don’t know which word goes here.

What I do know is that this Crisp will totally make you not care if your sentences make any sense.

DSC_0034

It will make you not care that Christmas is less than two week away…
     ….and have only bought one gift.

It will make you not care that you, like millions of other Americans, are DVR-ing Kourtney and Kim Take New York just so you can watch the drama of the biggest divorce in our history. I know, it’s pathetic.

It will make you not care that you woke up in the morning and immediately ran to the fridge for a small bite of it, and some peanut butter, and a handful of raisins, and another bite or two of it. Hey! I can’t control my brain’s thoughts at 5 am!!

DSC_0046

It will make you realize that ALL desserts should be made in a crockpot though!

Winter Fruit Crockpot Crisp

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3-4 tablespoons softened butter, cubed

Mix brown sugar and white sugar in the base of your crockpot dish, spreading out in to an even layer. Top sugar mixture with apples and pears, sprinkle salt and cinnamon over top. Add in the raisins.

Mix all the ingredients for the crisp in a medium bowl. Make sure to work the butter in to the mixture so that it almost has the texture of sand. Spread crisp topping over apple and pear layer. Place lid on top of crockpot.

Cook on high heat for 2 1/2 hours. Then turn the crockpot off and let the crisp sit for an hour still covered and in the cooker.

Scoop out in to dishes and serve with ice crea or whipped cream. Make sure to scoop up the caramly juice on the bottom!!

1 Tina@flourtrader December 12, 2011 at 11:47 am

Using a crockpot does sound like a unique as well as easy way to go with this dessert! All those flavors mixed up with apples and pears is a great combination. Like you I would not even bother with the “dainty” serving. I would want a nice hearty serving-Yum! Have a great day!

2 Janet@FCTC December 12, 2011 at 11:55 am

Darn it! Now I need to go dust off the top of my crockpot (don’t ask) and get all the cookies cutters stored in it put somewhere else, cause I have GOT to make this!

Hmmm, 5am huh? Maybe you should hide all the goodies outside cause who wants to walk outside in night clothes at 5am? :-p

3 Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray December 12, 2011 at 12:34 pm

This may in fact be the most glorious thing to ever grace my list of “crockpot recipes.” Why is this not in my fridge waiting for me to get home and eat every single stinkin’ crispy bite?!

4 Lacy December 12, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Umm, wow this spounds amazing and look delicious, topped w/ whipped cream and all. Totally need a scoop of this for an afternoon snack! And if it makes me wake up at 5am for a bite I have apparently found the one and only alarm clock that can get me out of bed! :)

5 Becky December 12, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I have always made apple crisp the traditional way, in the oven. I think that I have found the new way to make the It looks so good! Can’t wait to see the pics of your race with the luminaria!

6 Sommer J December 12, 2011 at 4:59 pm

love this!! you styled the crisp beautifully. i am not a cute dessert kinda gal, either. your run sounded absolutely incredible! i can not wait to read more about it!! i have neglected running due to some personal issues, but I will be back in 2012 better than ever. thank you for being inspiring!!

7 Carolyn December 12, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I’ve never made crisp in a crockpot, but yours looks delicious! And I am way behind on my Christmas shopping too, I feel ya.

8 Happy When Not Hungry December 12, 2011 at 7:38 pm

This looks awesome! I’ve never made dessert in my crockpot, but def need to try. Thanks for sharing!

9 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts December 12, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I am so watching Kourtney and Kim Take New York – I have to know what happened! Pathetic when you are 32…oh well!
What a cool race, did you get pictures? This would be a great treat to warm you up!

10 Annie Oakley's Kitchen December 13, 2011 at 6:17 am

I have been meaning to make a crisp in the slow cooker but have never gotten around to it. It looks so good!

11 Dara December 13, 2011 at 6:28 am

I love it! Sooo adorable, and the napkin is cute too. I’ve never made apple crisp in a crock pot, i’ll have to give it a try!

12 Karen Estes October 18, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I love your receipts, but have tried to print several, and nothing comes through, so have had to write them out.
do you have any suggestions?
Thanks
Karen

13 Steph October 19, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Hi Karen! Right now I don’t have the print feature on my recipes, I’m looking in to making that possible though. So for now, my best suggestion is either old school pen and paper or putting your laptop or smart phone next to you in the kitchen