Pretzel Tots

February 6, 2012

Well, here we are again. At our favorite day of the week.

DSC_0021

Ugh Monday. You are not my friend today.

I’d love to share a quirky, funny post with you guys today. But I just don’t have it in me today.

DSC_0026

I mean my Saturday was filled with feet moving, hip shaking, booby shimming, knee bouncing, Zumba mania. Yes. From 9 am to 6 pm I danced. Nonstop.

I felt like I was in Flashdance.

I left the studio sore as a mother. But also a licensed Zumba Instructor!!

DSC_0037

Sunday morning I had to wake up early to go to work. EEeww! Can you believe I just said that. Yuck. Work on Sunday…not my favorite thing.

I rushed home around 11 to start preparing for the super bowl. I made way too much food. It happens every time.

One thing on my MUST make list…these adorable cuties.

DSC_0028

Pretzel tots!

I crammed an insane amount of these in to my mouth over the span of the four hour game. I almost didn’t realize the Giants won, because I was too bust scraping the last bit of queso out of the crockpot.

That was my weekend. And now I’m back at my desk. Wishing I had another 30 of these to eat.

DSC_0034

Pretzel Tots
makes about 60 little pretzels

1 1/2 cups warm (110 to 115 degrees F) water

1 tablespoon sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 package active dry yeast

4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2 ounces unsalted butter, melted

Vegetable oil, for pan

10 cups water

2/3 cup baking soda

1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water

Coarse Sea Salt

Combine the water, sugar and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top, don’t stir the yeast, just let it sit for 5 minutes and get foamy.  Add in all of the flour and butter, then using the dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined. Change to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, approximately 2 to 3 minutes.

Prepare a seperate medium sized bowl, by rubbing it lightly with oil, and tranfser the dough to the prepared bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place for approximately 50 to 55 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line 2 half-sheet pans with parchment paper and lightly brush with the vegetable oil. Set aside.

Bring the 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a rolling boil in a large heavy bottomed pot.

In the meantime, turn the dough out onto a slightly oiled work surface and divide into 4 equal pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into a 22-inch rope. Cut the dough into 1-inch pieces; using your two hands, one-by-one, roll them into circles. Place the balls (or tots) onto the parchment-lined half sheet pan.

Place the pretzels tots into the boiling water, dropping in 1 by 1, boiling about 10 at a time, for 30 seconds. Remove them from the water using a large slotted spoon. Return to the half sheet pan, brush the top of each pretzel tot with the beaten egg yolk and water mixture and sprinkle with the seal salt. Bake until dark golden brown in color, approximately 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.

Recipe from A Cozy Kitchen

1 Erin February 6, 2012 at 10:08 am

What’s better than a pretzel? Little pretzels!

2 Liz February 6, 2012 at 10:10 am

These are adorable, Steph!!! Irresistible!

3 Sheri February 6, 2012 at 10:21 am

I love soft pretzels, and mini ones? Well, that’s just amazing! And congrats on becoming a licensed Zumba instructor! Yay for you!

4 Cassie February 6, 2012 at 10:33 am

This is fabulous. I’m a fool for soft pretzels!

5 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 6, 2012 at 10:36 am

These look so delicious!! Can you make them without a dough attachment?? And congrats no your zumba certification!!

6 Steph February 7, 2012 at 1:53 pm

You can still make them without the dough hook, you’ll just knead the dough instead. Work your muscles girl!

7 Shanna Watson February 6, 2012 at 11:09 am

CONGRATS!

need to get a dough hook attachment!

8 Brenda February 6, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Congrats on your new instructor status! It didn’t sound easy and you know what “they” say, “if it was easy, then it wouldn’t be worth doing”. Or something like that :)

These pretzel bites look yummy! A must try for me this week.

9 Angie@Angie's Recipes February 6, 2012 at 1:06 pm

A licensed Zumba Instructor!!! wow Congratulations!
Those baby pretzels look terrific!

10 RavieNomNoms February 6, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Look at you dancing for that long! Shake them hips girl! Good for you!

These pretzels look like an amazing treat for you. They look so amazing!

11 Tina@flourtrader February 6, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Congrats on the license-Zumba girl!
These little pretzels sure look tasty. Shame on you for that close up showing how toasty and salty these are! I would definitely not be counting as I popped these into my mouth.
Well the day is almost over so I hope by the time you get home from the office your Monday blues will be gone!

12 Lindsey@Lindselicious February 6, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Congrats on being a Zumba instructor! I wish you were by me, all the Zumba classes are like at 10am and 5pm, who can go to these times??
These look delish- pretzel bread is my weakness. YUM!!!

13 Elizabeth @ the kitchen counsel February 6, 2012 at 4:18 pm

congratulations on getting your zumba instructor-ship (yes, i made that word up)! how exciting.

i didn’t get to partake in super bowl eating (darn school getting in the way), i must say that these look like a fantastic snack any day of the week. can’t wait to try them!

14 Monet February 6, 2012 at 5:05 pm

You know how to win my heart :-) Did you see the pretzel necklace Ryan made for me? I put it on my blog today. These look so good! Thank you for sharing…and thank you for all the support. It means more to me than you know. Hugs and love from Austin.

15 Steph February 7, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I did!! That’s so cute!!

16 Kiri W. February 6, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Adorable! I love pretzels, so these’d be the perfect little snack for me.

17 Happy When Not Hungry February 6, 2012 at 6:00 pm

These look so cute and delicious! I really need to try making pretzels.

18 Chandra@the plaid and paisley kitchen February 6, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Great Post! and yes please on the tots! I think I am going to make these my next big get together!

19 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts February 6, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Love soft pretzels, these look perfect! I wish I had a few of these right now!
Congrats on becoming and instructor, that is awesome!

20 Meg February 8, 2012 at 2:14 pm

i just made pretzel bites for the super bowl and i will need to make your recipe too. i just soft pretzels, and just cant eat them at the mall too many calories but at home and in bite form i go crazy over these little suckers!

21 Lacy @ NYCityEats February 8, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Yes! I love soft pretzels especially bite sized guys! I absolutely have to try these, maybe tonight even. I’m really craving a salty treat!

22 Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife February 8, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Congrats on becoming an instructor!!! I started Zumba recently and I absolutely adore it! :)

23 Anna @ hiddenponies February 8, 2012 at 10:05 pm

These look way too addictive, and congrats on being liscensed!!

24 kita February 9, 2012 at 10:36 am

Lol, booby shimming. These little tots look dangerously good. I could use the first batch aaaand 30 more.

25 Steph February 9, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I like to booby shim.

26 Emily @ Life on Food February 12, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Nothing gets better than these…oh wait…these dipped in cheese. Great snack!