Cookie Dough Rice Krispie Treats

June 1, 2012

Oh. My. Heavens.

Cookie dough rice krispie treats-2

I think I made something that could be EX-tremely dangerous! So put on your big kid pants.

I can honestly say that my favorite treat/snack/meal when I was little was rice krispie treats (and chicken nuggets, but that’s neither here nor there). I was a freak for that melted marshmallow, krispity-crunchity, square. When my dad would let us pick out a candy bar from the candy isle, I always went for the pre-packaged rice krispie treat.

Is that weird?

Cookie dough rice krispie treats-3

Yeah, totally hated chocolate when I was little…bet you would’ve never guessed that! Actually I take that back. I ONLY liked chocolate in chocolate chip form, i.e. chocolate chip cookies. But I think this was more a love of cookie dough than actual cookies.

Cookie dough rice krispie treats-5

Spoons and spoons of dough easily found their way in my mouth without me even noticing that it’s happening. That’s still a HUGE problem for me now.

I could sit on the couch with the latest Dexter episode with a bowl of dough. Please tell me I’m not the only one who drowns their sorrows, celebrates good days, or just eats cookie dough to eat cookie dough.

Cookie dough rice krispie treats-7

The other night while I was sitting around eating dough I had an epiphany…which rarely happens, but when it does I listen!

So the epiphany said to find a way to mix rice krispie treats and cookie dough. I know!! I told you I had a great idea!!

Cookie dough rice krispie treats-6

Almost too good of an idea.

Because now I’m sitting on the couch with cookie dough and marshmallow squares. You can only imagine what I look like right now.

BUT it’s Friday…and quite frankly I think this is the best way to celebrate!

Cookie dough rice krispie treats-4

Cookie Dough Rice Krispie Treats
makes a whole tray of delectable squares

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 16oz bag marshmallows

6 cups rice krispie cereal (I used gluten free)

1/2 cup chocolate chips

1/2 cup unsalted butter

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 tablespoons flour

1 1/4 cups powdered sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons milk

1/2 cup chocolate chips

Line a 9×13 baking dish with foil and spray with cooking spray, set aside.

In a heavy bottom pot, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add in the marshmallows and stir until marshmallows are completely melted. While marshmallows are melting pour rice krispie treats and 1/2 cup chocolate chips in to a large bowl and toss to combine. When marshmallows are completely melted pour it over the top of the cereal mixture and mix with a spatula until cereal is completely coated in marshmallow. Dump cereal in to baking dish and spread out evenly with a spatula that’s been sprayed with cooking spray. I like to push down on my cereal with the back of my spatula to really pack it in and make a firm square.

Set rice krispie treats aside while you make the cookie dough.

In a medium pot melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. When completely melted add in the brown sugar, whisking until sugar is dissolved, then allow mixture to bubble and cook for a minute or two. Turn the heat off and add in the vanilla. Let this mixture sit for 20 minutes to cool off.

Once cool, add in the remaining ingredients, whisking to combine. If the mixture is too thick add another little splash of milk. Spread the cookie dough over the top of the rice krispie treats and pop in the fridge for 20 minutes to set up.

Remove from fridge, cut in to squares, and prepare to eat the whole tray in two minutes flat.

For an extra jazz effect you can melt 1/4 cup of chocolate chips in the microwave for one minute, then use a fork to drizzle melted chocolate over top!

Recipe adapted from How Sweet It Is

1 Rachel Cooks June 1, 2012 at 7:29 am

YES PLEASE!

2 Ryan @ Spicy Richmond June 1, 2012 at 7:55 am

Send me one? On second thought, make that 5. K thanks. ;)

3 Meghan June 1, 2012 at 8:07 am

I love a rice krispie treat topped with a chocolate peanut butter mixture! I don’t know how you can eat a bowl or cookie dough – that would make my tummy hurt! But I do love to eat a bite or two of it while I am making cookies.

You should look at Lindsay Landis’ Cookie Dough Lover Cookbook – basically every recipe you could think of for cookie dough is in there and its beautiful to boot! Happy Friday!

4 Emily @ She Makes and Bakes June 1, 2012 at 8:43 am

I adore cookie dough. It’s amazing. In fact, I love pretty much all cookie doughs unless they have oatmeal in them…then they’re too hard to eat. These look amazing. What a great idea!

5 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel June 1, 2012 at 8:48 am

A blend of awesomeness! And seriously how did you get through childhood not liking chocolate?

6 Anita at Hungry Couple June 1, 2012 at 8:49 am

I could totally sit on the couch and eat a pan of these. And then you need to send around those hunky firemen with the crane to hoist me up off the couch. :) Might be worth it, though…

7 Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray June 1, 2012 at 8:54 am

Uhh I don’t even know what to say. I think I would be happy eating these for the REST OF MY LIFE.

8 balvinder ( Neetu) June 1, 2012 at 9:35 am

I totally agree with you. Celebrate on Friday with these drooling cookie dough rice crispies.

9 Cucina49 June 1, 2012 at 11:36 am

Wow, this may be the best-looking rice krispie treat I’ve ever seen. These look dangerously addictive.

10 what katie's baking June 1, 2012 at 3:16 pm

these should be illegal… they look SO good!!!

11 Choc Chip Uru June 1, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I’m addicted, I’m addicted :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

12 Lauren @ Part Time House Wife June 1, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Love the crispies! I made some from the Joy the Baker cookbook with browned butter and peanut butter those with cookies on top??? Thatd be unreal! Great pics!!

13 Baker Street June 2, 2012 at 1:24 pm

These look heavenly! What a fabulous combination! :)

14 Kelsey @ K&K Test Kitchen June 2, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Wow, these do sound dangerous!

15 Kristina June 3, 2012 at 8:37 am

Yay! First official day as a sponsor :) LOVE these cookie dough rice krispie treats!! I’d always get in trouble as a kid because I’d eat all of the cookie dough out of the cookie dough ice-cream…. like literally take out scoops and scoops of the ice-cream.. remove the cookie dough… and put it back into the container for the rest of my family to enjoy :) These look dangerously good!

16 Colleen, The Smart Cookie Cook June 3, 2012 at 10:47 am

Oh no. I know you did not do this. Steph, why must you torture me so? I never want another plain Rice Krispie Treat again. I’ll just take these please.

17 Emily @ Life on Food June 3, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I don’t need big kid pants, just sweatpants so they still fit after I devoured the whole pan. Yum!

18 Kristi @ lifesprinkles June 3, 2012 at 2:17 pm

omg FANTASTIC idea!

19 Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. June 3, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Oh gosh! My husband just saw these and freaked out. I will be making these soon!

20 RavieNomNoms June 4, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Hollllllly motherload! These are so dangerous Steph! I am drooling haha

21 Karen June 6, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I’ll never look at a plain rice krispie square the same way again. You’ve ruined me. I’ll be putting my eating pants on this weekend for these. Hopefully when no one else is home.

22 Blog is the New Black June 9, 2012 at 7:29 am

Typical! So I totally came up with this idea this week to make……………. cookie dough topped rice krispie treats, right? Brilliant! So I get my recipe together this am and go to make them, la la la…. I come to the computer to google it because I’m like, I wonder if this has been done. Of course, the first site that pops up is yours! And, the irony is that I’m like…. how did I not see this, I read Steph’s blog EVERY DAY! But last week when you posted this I was away on my bachelorette party and, ahem, had a few cocktails in me so I just “marked all as read” in my google reader…. and missed your absolutely amazing recipe…. but it just shows that we were meant to be friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, mine are in the fridge. Great pics, too, girl!

23 Erin @ Making Memories June 22, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Oh my gosh! A-MAZING!!!!!

24 sherrie dollar July 8, 2012 at 12:33 pm

making these later today. can NOT wait to munch them!

25 Steph July 9, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Yay!! Let me know how you like them!

26 Nicole November 19, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Oh, this just went on the “gotta make soon” list. Yum!

27 Lauren Schaad December 5, 2012 at 2:34 pm

You are so not alone. I’ve eaten cookie dough right out of the bowl on many occasions. Okay so I do it every time I make cookies. These look ah-MAZE-ing.

28 Summerfun247 January 27, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I made these and wasn’t too impressed:( The recipe needs a better no cook cookie recipe. I thought the powder sugar ruined it. Probably won’t be making these in the future:(

29 Tiffany April 26, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Just made these, I thought they were great, my husband & sons loved them!

30 Steph April 27, 2013 at 8:08 am

So glad to hear you liked them! I feel in love with these at first bite!

31 Toni Legates June 30, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Girl you had me at Kristity crunchity!!!!

32 Amanda August 10, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Tried making these but not sure what went wrong. The cookie dough came out brown instead of white! :-/

33 Steph August 11, 2013 at 10:41 am

My cookie dough wasn’t white either. It’s a little brown from the brown sugar and the butter.

34 Lisa February 14, 2014 at 4:01 pm

I could barely spread the cookie dough to cover the entire slab of rice krispie treats! It wasn’t enough. It didn’t come out with a thick cookie on top, like your pic shows…..I used all the same ingredients and the same size pan…..hmmmm. Well, hopefully it’ll still taste good!

35 Lisa February 14, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Okay, a little too sweet with the cookie mixture on top. It tastes more like an icing on top than a cookie. My kids love them and we’ll definitely eat them. Next time, I’ll just omit the cookie topping. I do like the chocolate chips in the rice krispie treats though!!

36 Steph February 15, 2014 at 10:21 am

Well I’m glad that you enjoyed the chocolate chips inside :)

37 Celeste March 19, 2014 at 8:56 am

I made these yesterday, and while DELICIOUS, they weren’t like the picture at all. I followed the directions to a T; however, the cookie dough frosting was more of a caramel. There also wasn’t quite enough to cover the whole pan of rice krispy treats. Next time I would probably double the topping, or use a smaller pan. That being said, they were still GREAT and did not last long.

38 Steph March 22, 2014 at 6:58 am

Well I am so glad that they turned out as a yummy treat for you and your family!