Blueberry Coffee Cake in a Mug

June 5, 2012

I like cake.

I like warm cake.

I like warm cake in the morning.

I like warm cake in the morning that’s bursting with blueberries.

I like warm cake in the morning that’s bursting with blueberries and sugary streusel.

I like warm cake in the morning that’s bursting with blueberries and topped with sugary streusel that only takes one minute to bake.

You can thank me later!

pinch of salt

2 tablespoons blueberries

1/2 tablespoon butter

1 heaping teaspoon of flour

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

In a coffee mug or cup soften 1/2 tablespoon of butter in microwave for 5 seconds. Then stir in the sugar and brown rice syrup, mixing well. Add in the applesauce, vanilla, flour, baking powder, salt, stirring until just combined. Add in the blueberries and gently mix in to the batter.

In a separate bowl, combine all streusel ingredients with your finger, working the butter in to a sandy like texture (I left a few clumps to have some streusel chunks). Pour topping over the cake batter.

Cook cake in the microwave for 75 seconds. You don’t want to over cook the cake, but you want the top to be just set. Get your spoon ready and go to town!

Recipe adapted from Heather Likes Food

1 Beth June 5, 2012 at 9:25 am

There’s a word missing in the first sentence: In a coffee mug or cup soften 1/2 tablespoon in microwave for 5 seconds.

2 Steph June 5, 2012 at 9:29 am

FIXED 🙂 thanks for the heads up!

3 RavieNomNoms June 5, 2012 at 9:27 am

That looks great! I would totally love that for breakfast!

4 Anita at Hungry Couple June 5, 2012 at 9:52 am

Well, now… 🙂 The traditional version of blueberry coffee cake with streusel is one of my favorites. This is a nice looking, low calorie version that I can use as a “cheat.” Saving this one, Steph. Thanks.

5 Part Time House Wife June 5, 2012 at 9:57 am

You’re loving the mug recipes~ and I’m loving you for sharing them…Lately I’ve been sweets crazy and want some goodness quick. totally making this one!

6 Peter Block June 5, 2012 at 9:58 am

is it a good thing when the pic looks even better than the recipe? this looks great!

7 Kiri W. June 5, 2012 at 10:21 am

Mmmmm, looks fantastic! I am always up for mug cakes 🙂
(Also sorry for the long silence, I’ve been busy with commencement/traveling)

8 Alison June 5, 2012 at 10:46 am

Awesome! Truly delicious.

9 Suzette June 5, 2012 at 11:01 am

This looks delicious but you need a “Print” button!! 🙂

10 Christina @ This Woman Cooks! June 5, 2012 at 11:04 am

Love this, quick desserts are the best!

11 Laurie {Simply Scratch} June 5, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Love this recipe! The colors look like summer!

12 Monica @ MonMakesThings June 5, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Oh my goodness, this looks delicious! And so easy! Om nom nom… 🙂

I just stumbled onto your blog a few weeks ago, and I am loving it! Your recipes and work out tips are to die for. Thanks so much for sharing this!

XO Mon

13 Lea Ann @ Baking Memories Last June 5, 2012 at 12:54 pm

What a great idea. Thanks so much for sharing. Looks wonderful!

14 Choc Chip Uru June 5, 2012 at 2:45 pm

You are the in-the-mug queen 😀
This looks awesome!

15 Abby June 5, 2012 at 3:17 pm

This is a-mazing! and just so happens I have some blueberries sitting around, challenge accepted.

16 Sabrina (Sugarly Ever After) June 5, 2012 at 5:13 pm

This looks delicious! I cannot wait to try it!

Love your blog – I am so glad I came across it! I will definitely be following to see what you share next!

I recently started a food blog, and I’d love for you to follow. Maybe we can link up sometime! New blog friends makes me 🙂

17 Happy When Not Hungry June 5, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Wow this is awesome! I def need to try this especially during the week when I have zero time to make a decent breakfast. Looks delicious!

18 Baking Serendipity June 5, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Love these mug cake recipes! They make awesome evening snacks…but even better breakfasts!

19 Anne @ Have a Cookie! June 5, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Wow – this looks so good, I’m going to try it out this weekend!

20 Carolyn June 6, 2012 at 5:30 am

Oooh, I wonder if I can come up with a low carb, gluten free version. I think I’d like warm cake in the morning too!

21 The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time June 6, 2012 at 5:31 am

Oh, now this is a major taste treat. 1. There’s no chocolate (thank goodness). 2. It’s full of wonderful berries. I’m going to try making it tomorrow morning to surprise Hubby when he leaves for work. Then I’ll make it for myself.

22 Suzi June 6, 2012 at 6:41 am

This is such a cool idea. Cake in a mug in 75 seconds. You could make a new version every day with so many different yummy fruits. Plus there are no eggs, this is wonderful.

23 Lacy @ NYCityEats June 6, 2012 at 9:14 am

Oh so wishing I had a mug of this right now!! Mmmm I can just imagine this warm cake bursting with berries and sugary goodness! Totally drooling.

24 Colleen, The Smart Cookie Cook June 6, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Um, no, I’ll thank you now. This looks fantastic. I just need some stinkin’ blueberries to make this baby!

25 Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. June 6, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I love mug cakes! Especially for breakfast!

26 Susie June 7, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Love the single portion coffee cake in a mug, basically any cake is awesome. But coffee cake is one of my favorites especially when warm. 🙂

27 ATasteOfMadness June 8, 2012 at 11:37 am

Wow, this looks great! I have got to say, I have never had anything like this in the mornings. But I really want it now!

28 Cecilia @ My Life Sans Gluten June 9, 2012 at 10:16 pm

This looks delicious! I think it should be pretty easy to convert to gluten-free; I volunteer to take on that challenge 😉

29 Ellie June 19, 2012 at 7:16 am

Looks GREAT! Surely worth a try. Excellent when you have unexpected POP-IN visitors for lunch.

30 Steph June 19, 2012 at 11:45 am

So glad to have a NEW visitor!!

31 Terry June 19, 2012 at 9:22 am

What is “brown rice syrup” and where do you get it?

32 Steph June 19, 2012 at 11:43 am

Brown rice syrup is a form of sweetener. I found my in my local grocery store in the health food aisle. If you don’t have it you can easily use maple syrup or agave though!

33 Erica June 24, 2012 at 7:42 pm

This recipe looks great! My only concern due to allergies – what would be a good substitute for the applesauce?

34 Kate August 30, 2013 at 8:43 am

Hi! I was sick one morning and I love these mug recipes! I am 14 years old and I was making this one morning while my parents were at work. I think I did something wrong because when I made the batter something looked wrong but ignored it because I had never made this before. When I got to the crumble it looked fine and tasted delisios (sorry for spelling) and so I put it in the microwave for 75 seconds but it was all melted and wierd! I think I did something wrong… But it smells delicious!

35 Kate August 30, 2013 at 8:52 am

Hey there, I am the same person that commented about it not working… My mom came home just now and tried it for herself… It worked… Turns out that I messed up on the measurements and put the strudel amount of flour into the batter.., its super duper good! I love it!

36 Steph August 30, 2013 at 10:07 am

LOL, I have to say this comment made my morning…I’ve totally messed up ingredients before and had no clue even after eating it 🙂 Glad I’m not the only one!

37 Rachel July 12, 2014 at 10:45 am

Can you substitute the apple sauce?

38 Steph July 14, 2014 at 6:22 am

You can use a little bit of vegetable oil or coconut oil