Firework Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes

July 3, 2012

Ever wonder what happens when you stick an ice cream cone on top of cupcake batter and B-A-K-E it?

Firework Ice Cream Cone Cupcake

Some thing magical!

And uber cute, and totally perfect for summer. Like…an unmeltable ice cream cone.

Firework Ice Cream Cone Cupcake-2

You can wear white all you want with these.

There is no drippy, stainy, ruinyoursummer mess going on. And if you show up with these tomorrow at your Fourth of July party you are gonna be the one everyone wants to hang around.

Did I mention these cupcones/conecups/cakecones/conecakes can also be used for carrying your sparklers around so that you don’t burn your fingers. Multi-purpose. It’s the new thing.

Firework Ice Cream Cone Cupcake-3

Can I tell you something though.

I almost wanted to eat these cupcake cones upside down. Sounds crazy right? Well, I like to always “save the best bite for last”. I’ll stare at food for five minutes, move things around with my fork, position all ingredients just right, so that the final bite that goes in my mouth is the absolute BEST bite I could end with.

And the best bite of these cone heads is the top. Frosting and sprinkles. That’s my new life motto. With frostings and sprinkles you can achieve anything.

Firework Ice Cream Cone Cupcake

But I didn’t want people to think I’m crazy by eating my cupcake cone butt first.

Not too mention that would kill the whole part I told you about earlier where this treat is not a hot summer mess. Upside down cone means baby blue hands. Not pretty.

Happy Birthday America!

Firework Ice Cream Cone Cupcake-6

May we be forever blessed, continue to enjoy the freedom to eat cupcake cones and fried chicken, celebrate our independence, love our differences, come to an agreement over healthcare [sorry…didn’t mean to go there], and always bleed red, white, and blue.

Firework Ice Cream Cone Cupcake-7

Firework Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
makes 12 cuppy cone cakes

1 box white cake mix [with ingredients listed to make cake]

12 sugar cones

1 tub Duncan Hines Frosting Creations

1 packet Duncan Hines Cotton Candy frosting flavor packet

1/3 cup red sprinkles

Preheat oven to 350. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.

Mix cake batter according to package directions. Pour batter in to cupcake liners, filling 2/3 of the way full. Take your cupcake cone and place it upside down on top of the batter, pressing the cone lightly down in the batter so the cone stands up straight.

Bake cupcakes for 18-20 minutes or until cupcakes are puffed up and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in to the side. [10 minutes in to baking I opened the oven and tapped my cones lightly back down in to the batter to make them a little more straight. They’re still gonna come out a little lopsided, but that’s ok. They’ll stand perfectly fine.]

Remove cupcakes from oven and let cupcakes cool completely.

When cupcakes are completely cooled, remove cupcake liner. Mix the cotton candy flavor pack in to the frosting tub. Pour sprinkles in to shallow bowl. Frost the cupcakes with and dunk the top in the sprinkles. Stand up-right so that cupcakes now resemble and ice cream cone. Continue with the rest of the cupcake cones. Then add in the candles and celebrate!

1 Alfie July 3, 2012 at 6:14 am

Ahh those are SO cute!! I’m amazed the wafer cones didn’t burn while baking, magical! Love these

2 Rachel {Studio Cuisine} July 3, 2012 at 6:30 am

I cannot tell you how much I wish I didn’t have class tonight until 9 PM, would totally be making these after work if I didn’t!

3 Erica July 3, 2012 at 6:45 am

Theses are so adorable! I wish I had an excuse to make cupcakes so I could make these – it’s just SO hard to have a dozen of these laying around with just the bf and I!

4 Ryan @ Spicy Richmond July 3, 2012 at 7:55 am

Ummmm I love this idea! SO cute and less mess with the cone! Might have to whip these up for a cookout tomorrow! :)

5 Kelly July 3, 2012 at 9:59 am

I’ve been dying to see these ever since I saw you making them on instagram, SO cute!! :)

6 sherrie dollar July 3, 2012 at 12:00 pm

so cute! that cotton candy icing is UH MAZE ING!

7 Colleen, The Smart Cookie Cook July 3, 2012 at 8:38 pm

So, foodbuzz is ONCE AGAIN NOT WORKING and I’m not getting anything in my inbox (NOT happy about this). In other words, I keep missing your posts! These are so adorable, I can’t stand it. So I won’t stand it. I’ll eat it.

8 Anne @ Have a Cookie! July 3, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I love these! Great idea!

9 Judy grieve July 4, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I have made these for many yrs…..but I put the batter in the cone and then bake it. They stand up nicely in muffin tins in the oven….

10 Steph July 5, 2012 at 9:28 pm

That’s a great idea!

11 Demetria May 29, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Plus you get cake all the way to the bottom! Means that last bite is still delicious!

12 Choc Chip Uru July 5, 2012 at 2:38 am

These are the cutest cones in the hisory of cones :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

13 Emily @ Life on Food July 5, 2012 at 6:07 am

Absolutely love it! I wish I had this for yesterday but I certainly see it in my near future.

14 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction July 5, 2012 at 7:22 am

These are so fun! What a great idea!

15 RavieNomNoms July 5, 2012 at 11:34 am

So cute Steph, great idea!

16 Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. July 5, 2012 at 5:20 pm

These are adorable! Perfect for summer BBQ’s!

17 Part Time House Wife July 7, 2012 at 7:29 pm

These are adorable Steph!!!! I LOVE THEM and I’m totally jealous I didn’t do this first! ;-)

18 Kylie July 12, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Hi, I also make a version of these. I bake the cupcake mixture inside the cone and then pipe icing on top, add some sprinkles and a piece of flake and they look like a soft serve ice cream, the kids love them.

19 Detektei September 5, 2012 at 7:43 am

Fantastic idea, this is genius! Happy I found this pic on pinterest!

20 Becky September 7, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Any recommendations for traveling with these when they’re already decorated?

21 Steph@stephsbitebybite September 9, 2012 at 11:38 am

Becky, I actually put them in a cake carrier with the frosted tops down. Because they had the glitter sprinkles on top it actually worked out quite well!

22 Carmen September 15, 2012 at 8:45 pm

THANK YOU for your great ideas. It seems like every time I save something on Pinterest it’s with our ideas. THANK YOU! Keep them coming….

23 Theresa September 18, 2012 at 7:02 pm

We made these for the 4th, the kiddo’s love that cotton candy frosting and the color was perfect. The only change I made was to use red pop rocks in place of sprinkles so they were “fire cracker” cupcakes!

24 Stargazer September 25, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Yes Judy that is how I’ve made them, too. This method leaves a gaping hole in the center of the cone. I like the old way much better.

25 Chelsea October 1, 2012 at 11:33 am

I found that it was easier for me to just fill the ice cream cones with the batter. I did try making them both ways. When I put the cone on top of the batter they were not as neat looked a little sloppy. Although both are great ideas. :)

26 Jenna McCarthy October 7, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I have a question, do the bottom of the cones burn in the oven? I tried this a different way and the bottom of the cones were black!

27 beverloo728 November 10, 2012 at 7:30 am

how well do these really stand? I would think that since there is no batter in the bottom of the cone that they would be top heavy and fall over very easy.

28 hidee November 10, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I fill and then bake also. Kids love them…. bottoms didnt burn when I’ve done them. There are also silicone cone shaped molds u can use. When i brought them to my son party at the park I placed them side by side in a box tall enough so I could lay tinfoil on top. Worked good. He had a Thomas the Train cake and we spelt his name out on a few cones and made them look like puffs of smoke coming from the smoke stake.

29 hidee November 10, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Joy also sells a carrier which is usually advertised on the side of their boxes.

30 Ashley Dickens-York December 17, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I can’t believe I’m not the only person alive who eats so methodically to make sure the last bite is the absolute best!

31 Pat December 23, 2012 at 6:16 am

I make them Too. I stand the cone upright in cupcake pan & FULL cone 2/3. Comes out great and you have cake in the bottom of cone too…

32 melinda January 12, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Ive made them with putting the cake batter inside the cone also but i usually cover the bottom half of cone in foil, wrapping it around, so not touching bottom of cupcake pan and they never have turned black. And it also keeps them stable while baking. Hope it works for you next time you try this. :)

33 Sara D January 14, 2013 at 2:57 pm

This is great! My son has a birthday in June. Theme is “monsters”, going to try to make Monster Cuppy Cone Cakes! Thanks for the super idea!

34 Linda February 5, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Cute, cute, cute cupcakes! Love the ice cream cone idea.

35 Sandra February 17, 2013 at 12:33 am

I laughed out loud when I read about the last bite thing. Many years ago when my husband and I were first married he made the mistake of scooping my “last best bite” from my plate. I was so angry and we had our first real married fight. Looking back I must have sounded like a nut, but 20 years later, he still remembers how dangerous it is to interfere with that
last carefully calculated final mouthful lol

36 Purple February 23, 2013 at 11:56 am

wouldn’t you have to poke a hole in the cones so the the air has somewhere to go?

37 Steph February 24, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Nope, no holes in the cones or the batter will come out the tops

38 Whitney Keith March 7, 2013 at 9:55 am

I actually poor the batter into the cone and bake that way! The cake is all the way to the bottom of the cone that way and so yummy!

39 Rochelle March 21, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I like this idea the only reason is because the one time i made these and poured the batter in the cones were mushy and that was a turn off for . Thanks for sharing this idea

40 Kerri Kelley April 19, 2013 at 11:09 am

My mother had made these for years and I was lucky enough to learn early myself, there was not an event at my kids school that did not include my ice cream cone cupcakes and was always happy when the children and parents realized they were cupcakes! One suggestion: Put the cake batter in standing cones 3/4 of the way full, when they bake the tops will bake into a ball such as an ice cream scoop, also I like to use a lot of different colored cones, batter, and frosting. Ex: I buy the cones that are colored, use strawberry batter and frosting in the pink cones, chocolate in the brown and vanilla in the yellow ones. Find a cake box big enough and a talented artist to make the box look like a Neopolitan Ice cream container arrange the cupcake cones and it is a hit at parties!

41 Anahita July 1, 2013 at 11:11 pm

What do you bake them in, in the oven? In a regular cupcake tray or how? won’t they fall over during baking? won’t the bottoms burn?

42 Steph July 2, 2013 at 10:50 am

You just use a regular cupcake pan, put your batter in the pan and then place the cupcake cones on top, pressing down slightly. As they bake the cake will bake in to the cone :)

43 Kay May 22, 2013 at 7:26 pm

I LOVE YOU! I tried multiple times to make cupcake cones and they would never remain standing drying baking. I never thought to turn the cone upside down and cook the batter that way! I always felt like a loser when they would fall over and make a huge mess. Thank you, thank you, thank you. LOL Iam going to bake some for the twins college graduation party in 2weeks. They always laughed they finally saw something I couldn’t do! Now thanks to you I can get t,hem! LOL

44 Steph May 24, 2013 at 6:23 am

Awe, thanks!!! I just found this way to be so much easier

45 erica June 21, 2013 at 7:44 am

seems like they would be top heavy , i can see me knocking cones down trying to set them up on a table.

46 Cindy August 31, 2013 at 4:41 pm

This is really cool! Thanks for sharing. Will give this a try.

47 Angela September 7, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Hi,
These are great! I’m a new blogger myself – could I share them on my site? I will reference your blog, of course…
Thanks!