Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

August 14, 2012

You say tomato, I say tomato.

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

Really I don’t care how you or I say it. As long as those tomatoes are placed on a baking sheet and roasted in the oven on a really HIGH temperature until they’re bursting and a tad charred. It was a surprise when I got hit with a tomato soup craving. Because 1) I hate, HATE tomatoes, like totally despise them. 2) Since finding out I’m preggers, veggies sound like the most disgusting things ever. 3) Hot bubbly soup in the summer?

But…what-ev.

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup-2

My baby body was finally craving some sort of a vegetable (why it picked my veggie arch-nemesis I have no clue), and I totally listened. But I almost burned our house down in the process.

I set the oven to 450 degrees, hoping to roast my tomatoes at a super fast speed because I was starving. After 2 minutes at this heat, smoke was coming from the oven. I panicked and opened the oven door only to choke on a big plume of smoke. My first bad mommy moment…subjecting my unborn child to second hand smoke. Wait does appliance smoke count as b-a-d smoke?

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup-3

I knew the hubby knew that I knew that I had the oven on way too high when I saw him preemptively opening the back door and the windows. Pregnant brain sucks. But at least I remembered how to turn the oven down. Which is exactly what I did after freaking out that I had just inhaled 3 lungs full of over-charred tomato smoke.

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup-4

The rest of this soup making process was actually a breeze. The soup came together so easy. But then I forget that the damn thing is scorching hot and, of course, like any overly hungry woman who hasn’t had a single speck of veggies in two weeks would, I dunked my huge spoon straight in to the pot…then straight in to my mouth.

There was no blowing to cool off. There was no gentle soft slurping. There was only large spoon to wide open mouth action going on. I now have a big flake of rooftop skin hanging in my mouth.

…but I killed two big bowls of this soup…so I guess the hanging skin in my mouth is just a minor set back.

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup-5

Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
makes one huge pot that can serve 4 hungry pregnant women

2 cups cherry tomatoes

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon salt and pepper

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 yellow onion, diced

3 cups chicken broth

1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes

1 teaspoon garlic salt

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place cherry tomatoes on a baking sheet, pour 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil over top, along with the salt and pepper. Place baking sheet in the oven and roast tomatoes for about 20 minutes or until tomatoes are squishy and have a brown roasted color to them.

In a large pot, drizzling remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil and turn stove to a medium high heat. Add in the garlic and onion, sautéing for 4-6 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add in the roasted tomatoes, chicken broth, canned tomatoes (with the juices), garlic salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and basil. Bring soup to a boil, then turn down to a low simmer. Partially cover pot and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes, or until soup is nice and hot. With an emersion blender, blend up the soup to your desired consistency. Pour in soup bowl and serve with grilled cheese chunks.

Recipe adapted from Family Fun

1 Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie August 14, 2012 at 8:36 am

Looks incredibly delicious despite being summertime! And that’s funny about pregnant brain because I wouldn’t never thought that it affected you so soon. Don’t burn the house down!

2 Arantha August 14, 2012 at 9:06 am

I need this in my life right now. OMG

3 RavieNomNoms August 14, 2012 at 9:11 am

This looks so great! Such a funny story! Sounds like something I would do haha. The soup looks lovely though. I have all these tomatoes I need to use right now too so I will have to make this. Especially since I am still on softer food because of my dang wisdom teeth!

4 Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 14, 2012 at 9:15 am

Looks great!! I’m not a huge tomato fan, but this sounds delicious.

5 Josephina August 14, 2012 at 11:15 am

This looks so good! I love hot soup in the summer!!! Can’t wait to try! Your dishes are adorable! Where did you get them?

6 Steph August 15, 2012 at 8:46 am

I got them from Anthropologie :)

7 Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family August 14, 2012 at 12:34 pm

That looks absolutely delicious! I love tomato soup with a sandwich.

As for the mommy brain, get used to it…it doesn’t go away any time soon :)

8 Leslie November 8, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Like for 20+ years, lol!

9 Amy's Cooking Adventures August 14, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Looks delicious! It feels good to eat “real” food when your stomach can manage it, doesn’t it?

10 Choc Chip Uru August 14, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Can you say gorgeous or can I? :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

11 Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes August 15, 2012 at 4:59 am

As good as tomato soup gets! Growing up I was fed tomato soup (not homemade) with croutons that came in the packet. Your cheese sandwich croutons are amazing! And I might take the soup bowl when I´m done with the soup…

12 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction August 15, 2012 at 7:35 am

This sounds amazing, especially with a grilled cheese sandwich for dipping!

13 Steph August 15, 2012 at 8:45 am

Can’t have tomato soup without grilled cheese!

14 Steph August 15, 2012 at 8:47 am

I got them from Anthropologie

15 Jennie @themessybakerblog August 16, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Yummo! Tomato basil soup is my very most favorite soup, and your version looks amazing. Can’t wait to try it.

16 Javelin Warrior August 17, 2012 at 7:36 am

Sorry to hear about the over-roasted tomatoes (and lung-fulls of smoke!), but the soup turned out gorgeous and I love the use of the mini grilled cheese sandwiches as garnish! I’m featuring this post in today’s Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and thanks for sharing such amazing creations…

17 Alese November 8, 2012 at 8:12 am

I posted a round up of soups today on my blog http://2crafty4myskirt.blogspot.com/ I included this soup in the round up. If you are not ok with that please just let me know I will remove yours from the post. Thanks!

18 Krissy December 31, 2012 at 1:16 pm

OMG- just made this soup and it is amazing! So easy to put together, and since it is New Years Eve and cold and rainy it fit the bill just perfectly. So much better than the canned stuff-thanks for sharing!

19 Steph December 31, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I’m so glad you like it! It’s one of my favorites!

20 Katie January 24, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I’ve made this a couple of times now and I just LOVE it. It’s so simple and fresh. I used homemade chicken broth and grape tomatoes from my garden (that I’d frozen). I’m bummed, though, because when I made tonight’s batch of soup, I used the last of my garden tomatoes. I may very well plant an extra grape tomato plant this year with the thought of freezing everything I get off of it for next winter’s soup… :)

21 Amanda August 23, 2013 at 9:16 am

I just wanted to take a minute and comment that I LOVE LOVE this recipe!! I crave it. I’ve made it a few times and each time it hits the spot just right. For some reason, it tends to be too “spicy” for most of the kids, but my husband and I love it! In fact, I planted my garden intentionally to have a lot of cherry tomatoes specifically for the purpose of making this soup.
Which reminds me of a question I had… do you think I can use frozen cherry tomatoes for this recipe? Anyone have any tips on that?? :-)