Logan: 6 Weeks Old

May 21, 2013

I’m almost afraid to say it, but this week was such a good one.

Not that every week isn’t but this week suddenly Logan seemed to fall in to a schedule and I couldn’t be happier to have some what of a “routine”.

This is how our day’s have been going the last 5 days.

7 am: Logan officially wakes up ready to start his day. We feed and play

8 am: Out for our daily walk [close to 3 miles] Logan starts to fall asleep but as soon as we come in through the front door he’s wide awake.

9 – 11 am: This is probably my hardest time of the day. Logan is SOO tired but just doesn’t want to sleep. So for two hours I go back and forth with nursing, rocking, shushing, and finally he’ll pass out. Mom runs to the shower and scrubs up fast.

11 am – 5 pm: Logan will sleep this whole time and wake up in the middle some where to feed, but he’ll pass right back out. This is the time where I try to get things done around the house, or take a nap myself.

5 pm – 7 pm: Logan is officially awake. We play on the play mat, look out at the flowers in the backyard, and try to just keep him calm.

7 pm – 9 pm: This is our second hardest time during the day. We try to get Logan in bed no later than 9, and it will take us almost the full two hours to achieve that. Again, back and forth with nursing and rocking. This will work, but as soon as I lay him in the crib his eyes are WIDE open. We go through this routine about 3 times. So I bring him out to his swing, crank it on high and let him go. This is our secret weapon and nighttime savior. Logan will scream in the swing for about 10 minutes and then all the sudden he is passed out.

10:30 pm: Logan comes out of swing, still fast asleep and I lay him down in the crib. Nighty-night.

11:30 pm: Quick feed and back asleep.

1:30/4/6 am: Three more quick feedings and then we start all over again.

As chaotic as this seems, it feels so much better to almost know what to expect every hour now. It gives me a reference point to my day. I also know, during our hard times, that if I can make it to the 11 o’clock hour that he will be passed out and everything will go back to being calm. It really helps to keep my mind focus and keep from going crazy knowing that I’m on a countdown.

We’ve also mastered getting Logan to sleep in his own room. We decided to do this last week because Logan is such a loud sleeper. He snorts and grunts and shifts his body so much that it was making it hard for Lucas and I to sleep. The transition was actually pretty easy since Logan was already sleeping in a cradle in our room. And even though he wakes up every three hours to feed I feel like I’m able to get some solid sleep for those three hours. LOVE it!

This week Lucas and I also had our first night out without our little guy. We left him at my mom and dad’s while we went out to the baseball game. The first hour away all we could do was talk about Logan, then we told each other that we needed to stop talking and worrying about him and just enjoy each other. As nice as it was for us, the 5 hour stint away from him was a little long for his first time without us. He got pretty fussy at my parent’s and I could see when we got to their house that they were tired. We need to just keep our outings to like an hour dinner our something. Just to make it easier for everyone.

Logan doesn’t seemed to have made too many physical changes this week. He’s still smiling his little face off and making little happy squeals. And of course, he still seems to be packing on the pounds. We don’t go back to the doctor for an official weight check for another two weeks. I can’t wait to see what they say!

Mom Check Up:

My body kind of freaked me out this week. All of the sudden mid-week I noticed that my milk production seemed to dramatically decrease. When I would nurse Logan, I used to be have very full breasts. He would nurse and I’d even spray him all the time in the face when he would break his latch because of how much milk I had. After he would nurse I would pump and was able to get 2 more ounces off each breast. I felt like a milk making machine. And then suddenly it changed. I noticed in the last few days that my breasts don’t feel as full anymore, they actually feel a little deflated, and completely empty after he feeds. And when I pump I’m lucky if I can get 2 ounces of both breasts.

I started to freak out and contacted my lactation consultant. She said that she thinks my body is just getting used to the amount of milk that Logan actually needs during the day. She told me to pump every two feedings for 10 minutes each side to keep my body stimulated. But she wasn’t too concerned since Logan isn’t still hungry after feedings and is still having normal dirty diapers.

I was glad to hear that she thought everything was good, but still in the back of my head I’m kind of freaking out that my milk could be drying up. It’s something now that I can’t stop thinking about. I just don’t want to not be able to breastfeed Logan, so it almost made me a little depressed in a way. [But that can have an affection on milk production…so I’m trying to keep my sprits up].

This week I also feel like my body has finally been able to rest a little bit. The new sleeping arrangements have really helped me out.

…anyone have any parenting book recommendations? I haven’t really started to read anything yet, since he basically just eats and sleeps, but I know soon teeth will be coming in, tummy time needs to be done more, yada, yada, and I need some good resources.

See all of Logan’s Weekly Updates here

1 Joanne May 21, 2013 at 5:18 am

Getting into a routine sounds like a lifesaver!! Hopefully it will stick!!

(And he is just SO cute!!)

2 Mallory May 21, 2013 at 6:19 am

Have you tried Mother’s Milk tea? A couple of my friends have suggested I try that after giving birth to ensure my milk production stays up. Good luck mama! You’re doing great!

3 Steph May 24, 2013 at 6:35 am

Mother’s milk tea has become my new drink twice a day, and it does seem to be helping

4 Kim May 21, 2013 at 6:56 am

I highly recommend the book ‘The No Cry Sleep Solution’.
As he gets older everything gets so much easier. I remember those days where I felt like my daughter cried all the time, she’s only 5 months now but everything is just easier.

5 Kim May 21, 2013 at 6:58 am

Also, lactation cookies worked wonders for me.

6 Steph May 24, 2013 at 6:34 am

Lactation cookies? I’ve got to find these!

7 Lynette May 21, 2013 at 8:14 am

I recommend the American Academy of Pediatrics “Complete and Authoritative Guide on Caring for your Baby and Young Child – Birth to Age 5”. It’s super comprehensive, separated by age group, and written by actual doctors. It’s a giant encyclopedia but a great reference.

8 Steph May 24, 2013 at 6:34 am

Baby encyclopedia! Yes please

9 Bella May 21, 2013 at 9:39 am

He is so sweet, I miss the baby stage 🙂 I remember spraying too, too funny! I read and tried it (and it worked) that eating oatmeal in any form ups milk production.

10 Steph May 24, 2013 at 6:34 am

Thanks Bella! Oatmeal is definitely happening every day

11 Alanna A. May 21, 2013 at 9:40 am

I had the same thing happen to my milk. When he was born, I had a oversupply and around 6 weeks, it went down drastically. My LC said the same thing about my supply just regulating itself to what the baby needs. But I was definitely really worried about it. My baby is only 5 months old, but I worry about my supply all the time. We’ve had lots of high and lows with breastfeeding. It can definitely get you down when you think about stopping. There were some days that I couldn’t imagine still doing this at 5 months. But I am and it’s going great! It sounds like you are doing such a good job and Logan is thriving!!!

12 Steph May 24, 2013 at 6:33 am

Isn’t it crazy how much this can weigh on your brain!

13 Deana mueller May 21, 2013 at 10:01 am

Hey doll.. I was reading your post and have a few ideas.. Don’t want to be one of this “advice moms” but these worked for me.
Milk supply:: try pumping every 2 hours. This should increase milk supply If not there is a pill (all natural) that your dr can rx that will increase supply.
Baby crying:: my son did the same thing for a few months.. It pushed me to a place I’d rather never go back to.. He was only happy moving or rocking. Come to find out when he was pulling his legs up to his stomach and moving a lot during sleep it was bc of colic. I spoke to many GI specialist and finally found my angel. She gave my son Similac ready to feed “Alimentum” it changed my son and my life. Try it.. If it is colic you will see a difference after the 2nd feeding. You can still breastfees but will have to change your diet to NO Dairy.
If these don’t work for you maybe it will for someone else whom reads this. I wish I had know more about “Colic”.
Good luck!!!

14 Steph May 24, 2013 at 6:33 am

THANK you for these tips! When we go for his 2 month appointment I’m gonna ask about the crying [if it’s still continuing].

15 Lt May 21, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Buy a baby scale if you are worried about him not getting enough, and weigh him after the same feeding. We got a decent one off of amazon for somewhere around 50-75 bucks. It really helped to see him gaining ounces a day. I had breastfeeding issues, and after the first month he started gaining 2 lbs a month. At 6 weeks my supply adjusted so I was making exactly what he needed. I also started to drink 2 cups of mother’s milk tea, eat oatmeal every day, and drink 75 oz of water every day. Honestly, unless you really think your supply is down or not high enough, like Logan is screaming for more after feeding, I wouldn’t pump more than your LC suggested. I was tied to my pump for 11 weeks because my son would fall asleep before getting enough milk, even though he was hungry and would wake up 20 min later, so I had to pump after feedings and give him that. It was SO time consuming, so don’t pump if you don’t need to! My son is 9.5 months and almost 25 lbs and 31 inches and he is stil breastfeeding, and it is SO easy. Also, it used to take me 2 hrs to get him to sleep at night too, it got better after a few months, it won’t last forever!! You are doing great mama!

16 Steph May 24, 2013 at 6:31 am

Thank you so much for your comment, it puts my mind at ease to hear everyone’s experiences.

17 Jinky May 21, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Hi Steph, baby Logan is so cute!! How I wish I also have a baby boy.. Been following your life thru this blog for quite a while. And I always look forward for your new posts.
BTW, to increase your milk production, try to consume soups every meal. That’s what we usually have here in our country if we’re breastfeeding, especially soups with coconut milk. It surely increases your milk. And I’ve been told that baby boys nursed more than baby girls so a continued supply of milk is really needed.
Goodluck and take it easy, before you know it, bringing up kids is just a breeze.. 🙂

18 Steph May 24, 2013 at 6:30 am

I love hearing all these different tips! Soups it is!

19 alex May 22, 2013 at 11:30 am

he is so cute!! once a baby gets on a schedule it is a life-saver!! we are farther along than you, but our days are so routine now and I love it….it will happen for you too! I think you are doing a lot better with his sleeping than I was doing at 6 weeks!! I guess everyone reads What to Expect the First Year..I liked it!

20 Steph May 24, 2013 at 6:27 am

…ugh spoke to soon, our schedule was thrown out the window the day after I posted that! Dang baby 😉

21 Danielle @ Runs with Spatulas May 22, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I’m actually kind of surprised your LC recommended pumping more. 6 weeks is when your body switches from regulating the amount of milk produced hormonally to feedback (i.e. makes as much as your baby is eating). So pumping now is going to give you a nice annoying oversupply (or more of one if you already have one). This is why you start not feeling super engorged all the time — your body is figuring out just how much to produce. It’s also a growth spurt period for Logan, so it may seem like he’s eating so much more than you are producing — just trust your body on this. Unless he’s acting hungry after a feed or having a decrease in wet diapers, you’re good.

I hope he stays on schedule for you! Evie likes to keep things interesting here — every time I think I have her “schedule” figured out she goes and changes it on me again!

22 Steph May 24, 2013 at 6:26 am

Thanks Danielle! This whole breastfeeding thing is so much work!

23 amy @ fearless homemaker July 18, 2013 at 10:16 am

How did the milk production thing turn out? I’m constantly paranoid about whether I’m making enough milk (which I know isn’t good to do, but I can’t help it!) so I’ve been taking fenugreek and drinking the Mother’s Milk Tea, which both seem to have helped. =)

24 Steph July 19, 2013 at 7:58 am

It seems to be doing ok. I drink the tea too. Logan seemed to not be eating as much from me later in the day, so I’ve started giving him a 4oz bottle at 6 and then again right before bed to fill him up. And then I pump during that time. I’ve started pumping more too and that seems to be bringing up my supply