Logan: 8 Weeks Old

June 5, 2013

2 months? Seriously?!!

Sometimes I feel like time has gone by so fast, and others I feel like I have had this little man my whole life [I think I’ve said that before in one of these posts, but it’s the truth!]

This little guy has really started to show his personality this week. And let me say, sometimes he’s a handful! His mornings start of great. He’s full of smiles and giggles. Then as the day progresses [and he gets more and more tired] he starts to get a little temperamental and fussy.He is a very strong willed baby who is determined to get his way, which he usually does.

He doesn’t like to be left anywhere alone. He’ll be playing happily on his play mat and I’ll walk away to start a load of laundry, it’s not 10 seconds before he’s crying because he can’t see or hear me in the room anymore. It’s so hard to do anything and I sometimes feel at such a loss. I don’t know if I should leave him alone to cry or if I should go and pick him up. I’ve read so many different things that go both ways and I’m just kind of over it all.

He’s also spitting up a lot too. [Is this normal?] It’s nothing like projectile vomit, but it’s definitely more than it used to be and it’s usually after every meal. His diapers are all still normal and he doesn’t seem to be loosing weight so at this point I’m not too concerned. But dang, him and I are constantly changing our clothes and our new perfume smell is spilled milk. Attractive.

We have is 2 month appointment this afternoon!! Anyone want to guess his weight? I’m thinking he’s close to 14 lbs. BIG, big, BIG. 2 months also means shot day. I’m so nervous about this, just because I don’t want him to cry. I’m still trying to decide if I want to be the one to hold him or if I’m gonna make Lucas do it. I just don’t know what my reaction is going to be. And I’m praying he doesn’t get sick from them. I’ve heard some parents say that their little ones will throw up for a few hours after the shots.

This week we took Logan swimming! First time in the pool and he did great! Of course we didn’t have him in there long, maybe five minutes. And me being a new mama I was slathering that white boy up with tons and tons of sunscreen. He loved to kick and splash around. Best part was right after he got out of the pool, he nursed and passed out! Now I know what to do when he won’t go down for a nap.

OOOoooh and this stud muffin is so close to being able to hold his head up!! He can do it some now, for almost a minute maybe and then he comes back down. It’s just so cool to watch him develop! Makes me so proud. He’s also gotten very good at focusing on things/people and following them with his eyes. I can stand a few feet from him and talk to him and he will look right at me. Melts my heart. He’s also started to grab and pull on the rings that are on his play mat! Before I know it he’ll be running circles around me!

Mom Check Up:

Oh man, I feel like my emotions are all over the place. Some days I’m super happy and everything seems great, and other days I just start crying and feel so overwhelmed. Being a mom is definitely more work than I ever thought it would be, and I have so much more respect now for all the mamas out there. I think I need to start having some time away from the baby. As much as I want to be with him all the time, it is definitely wearing on me. Some time away might be just the answer.

This week was also my first real week back at exercising [did you see my video?] and man have I got some ways to go. But it feels incredible to be working my muscles again. My biggest struggle is going to be finding the time to actually get a workout in. It’s not like it used to be where I could just wake up and go running. Now I have to wait for baby to get up, fed him, hopefully get him back to sleep and get out of the house. If that doesn’t happen, then a run is not in my cards because it’s too hot during the day. I’ve been starting to do my weight workouts when he’s napping or at night after I put him to bed. Even my workouts are work now!

By the end of the day I feel exhausted and just try not to think that it starts all over again in a few hours.

My weight keeps fluctuating right now between 3 and 5 pounds of my pre-pregnancy number and I’m shocked that I’m actually starting to see some muscle definition coming back. It’s hard to focus on my diet right now though because I’m breastfeeding. Now is not the time for me to cut calories to get those last few pounds off, so right now I’m just trying to appreciate this new body and be thankful for the progress I’ve been able to make so far.

See all of Logan’s Weekly Updates here

1 Emma June 5, 2013 at 4:42 am

Oh Steph you’re all doing so well. Its such a huge time of learning for all of you and it sounds like you’re doing a wonderful job. Motherhood definitely is the hardest job ever. I longed to be a mama for what seems like my whole life but boy it sure is much harder than I ever imagined it to be.

I read too many parenting books and caused myself unnecessary stress as a new mama so Im hesitant to recommend anything. One thing that worked really well for us was in a book called “The Dream Baby Guide” By Sheyne Rowley (Australian author but I think you can get it from Amazon). She talks a lot about consistent communication and it seemed to really help with us especially on things like leaving babe alone while you go to get the laundry or to the bathroom etc

Anyway I just wanted to say I think you’re doing a wonderful job, all those emotions you are feeling are totally normal. You are certainly not alone in this.

2 Steph June 6, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Thanks Emma! Some days are hard, but those hard days are so worth it

3 Susan @ Real Life Travels June 5, 2013 at 5:50 am

He’s getting so big! Caden was a spitter- upper too. He’s didn’t have reflux and it wasn’t projectile vomiting and it didnt bother him at all; he just spit up a ton. It eventually went away when he got older but you’re right its pretty gross! I remember having to change my shirt multiple times a day, more then his clothes even because it was getting so bad! As soon as he was started walking I think it went away. Some babies just spit up, unfortunately. Good luck!! Sounds like you are doing a fabulous job!

4 Steph June 6, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I feel like I should just start wearing a smock LOL

5 Tieghan June 5, 2013 at 6:27 am

All I have to say is that he is SO cute! Enjoy his littleness, It is over so fast!

6 Brooke June 5, 2013 at 6:43 am

My little guy is the same age and has been spitting up a ton too! Sometimes he just opens his mouth me it pours out! From what I’ve read it’s very normal at this age and gets better as they get older. We have our 8 week appointment this morning and I’m nervous for the shots too. Not the actually appointment but the aftermath. I hope he’s not too miserable and the side effects are minimal! My little one is already high maintenance and not the best sleeper so I’m hoping for a manageable afternoon! Yesterday he had a meltdown as I checked out at Target and I felt like everyone was staring at me as though they’d never seen a baby cry before. To make matters worse an older gentleman approached me, peeked into the carrier, and said “”I’m sure glad is not your mommy.” That about did me in! Good luck at the check up today!

7 Steph June 5, 2013 at 7:38 am

So the shots are pretty heart wrenching! I have never heard Logan wail like that before. After they were done I immediately picked him up and was telling him what a good boy he was and how strong he was [trying to keep things positive]. I feed him there in the doctor’s office before leaving. And once we were in the car he was passed out. He seems to be doing ok now too. Best of LUCK!!!

8 Brooke June 5, 2013 at 11:11 am

We are home from he doctor and we both survived! Here’s hoping for a nice long nap!

9 Anita at Hungry Couple June 5, 2013 at 9:43 am

Really interesting updates, Steph. I don’t have kids but it’s been fascinating reading the week by week of pregnancy and post-pregnancy. And I have to believe it’s a little bit cathartic to get it down on paper. I do know from friends that it gets much, much better so just hang in there for a little while longer. By the time you get back in shape, your fussy (though, adorable) baby will be your giggling, happy little companion. 🙂

10 Steph June 6, 2013 at 4:18 pm

That’s what I keep telling myself…and then he’ll be walking LOL

11 RavieNomNoms June 5, 2013 at 11:45 am

What great updates Steph! I love them, I like seeing your progress along with the baby’s as well. Keep’em coming!

12 Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl June 5, 2013 at 6:07 pm

I love this documentation, it made me smile. Thanks!

13 alex June 5, 2013 at 10:42 pm

you totally do deserve, and need, time away. Even just a trip to the grocery store by myself made me feel better! Take it when you need it! your little man is so cute! you are doing great!

14 Kelly June 6, 2013 at 6:49 am

Steph-
I read your post and it took me back to when my daughter was born (she is 8 now). That time was so hard. I was just hoping someone – anyone would say “do this and she will sleep”… all babies are so different so what works for one does not work for the other etc… I really struggled those first few years.
My husband had the happy baby in the mornings and during the day and by the time I got home from work – I had tired, cranky, crying baby. I learned that sometimes I just had to walk away when she cried. I knew she was fed, clean, and safe… after a while of doing that we both felt better and found our groove. We as parents have no idea what we are doing and there is no right or wrong – just what is best for you. Sometimes it is a matter of survival!! Looking back I wish I would have stuck with a better schedule and so what if it was 7:30 PM, she was tired, I should have worked better at putting her in the crib and taught her then better sleep habits! All we can do sometimes is just get through the day. My best advise is just don’t be afraid to walk away. You know they are safe and they train us sooner than we think! Good Luck!!

15 Steph June 6, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I’ve just started to put little man down in his crib when he gets sleepy and let him cry for a little bit. It’s so hard, but I know it’s what will be best in the long run. And boy does time fly, 8 years old already!! 🙁