Logan: 11 Weeks Old

June 26, 2013

So this is going to sound weird, but I actually feel like Logan is now a little human.

I guess what I mean is that he doesn’t really feel like a little baby to me anymore [literally and figuratively]. He is just so alert now and talkative, so much different from when he was just a few weeks old. He’s also so dang big that I almost feel like I have a little toddler already.

This week has been so fun to just watch him. He’s taking in EVERYTHING. Any time he’s awake he’s constantly looking around at things and staring at them, almost as if he’s making mental notes of the things he sees. He is also really starting to grab at things now. I’ll set him down on his playmat, turn around for a second, and when I look back at him he’s got the rings gripped so tight in his hands and is yanking on them. It just amazes me so much! He also thinks it’s so funny to grab my hair and yank like there’s no tomorrow. Maybe it’s time to chop the long locks?

His little voice is the cutest thing ever too. He is such a talker! There’s very few moments when he will just sit lay [lie?] somewhere quietly. And if you are interacting with him and you walk away for a minute he will start making these loud noises, not really cries, to tell you to come back. So demanding.

This week I’ve been really working on our nap routine and trying to get better about paying attention to Logan’s cues. It’s so funny how all the sudden one day you read something and you have an epiphany. I don’t remember where I saw it, but something I read a few days ago was talking about baby’s tired cues and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was getting his signs mixed up. When he was tired I was actually thinking he was hungry. And since I would miss his tired cues he would go quickly in to a downward spiral and it would be so hard for me to get him to sleep once I realized that was the problem.

I started doing a bunch of reading and came across The Baby Whisperer and her EASY method. I’ve been practicing this method for 4 days now and am seeing a total improvement on Logan’s naps and moods.

I’ll give you a quick run down of what I do. [I used to just nurse, nurse, nurse…and let him pacify on me…until he would fall totally asleep. Then for naps I would carefully put him in his vibrating chair, praying that he wouldn’t wake up, and if he did, it was back on the boob. This process was EXTREMELY exhausting for me. Especially the pacifying on the breast part. Totally draining.]

When Logan starts to show signs of being tired he starts to get very quiet, his eyes get a little red around the edges and he starts to rub his eyes and yawn. As soon as I start to see the very first sign I start telling him that it’s nap time and get ready to put him down. Now that we’ve done this for a few days now I can pretty much see that he only lasts about an hour or an hour and a half awake and then he’s ready for a nap.

The first thing we do is Eat [The E of EASY]. I no longer feed him out in the living room where there’s noise and distractions. I take him back to the nursery and as I’m closing the blinds we say “good night sun, we’ll see you soon”. I turn on Pandora Lullaby Radio and I sit in the rocker and feed him. While he’s eating I calmly talk to him about how god of a job he’s doing and I rub his hands, keeping him calm, but not letting him fall asleep on me.

When he’s done eating, we do our Activity [The A]. For me this is a diaper change and then I put him in a swaddle sleeper. I sued to not swaddle for naps, only bed time, but I’ve found that he sleeps so much better with a swaddle, and it’s a cue to him that it’s bed time. When I get him swaddled I tell him that it’s time for a nap and that he’s gonna feel so much better when he wakes up.

After he’s swaddled I carry him back to the rocker and with a pacifier I rock him to Sleep [The S] while singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. He doesn’t fall asleep calmly [if you have a baby, does yours just go to sleep?], he fights me for a few minutes with some cries and a lot of squirming, but I just hold him real tight and keep at it and within a few minutes he conked. I rock him a few more minutes until the pacifier falls out of his mouth and I lay him down in his crib. I’ll stand there for another minute with my hand on his chest, just so he can still feel me there and then I walk out of the room and close the door.

The You time [The Y] for me is always different, sometimes I nap, sometimes I do chores, just depends.

Logan will sleep for at least 40 minutes and sometimes up to two hours. If he wakes up I’ll go in his room and look at his face. If his eyes are closed and he’s crying I’ll pick him up and rock him for a few minutes and usually goes back to sleep. If the eyes are wide open and he’s just looking around then I know we’re done with nap time.

The first day of this was really rough. Naps were only 25 minutes long. But I just told myself to stick to it and knew it would get better, and it has! I feel so accomplished now, and I know Logan feels better too.

See all of Logan’s Weekly Updates here

1 Christiane - Taking On magazines June 26, 2013 at 5:42 am

Don’t cut your hair, just learn to love the pony tail and bun. This pulling period won’t last long and, if you’re like me, the trauma of cutting those locks isn’t worth it. I love your nap time routine. It made me miss that time.

2 Steph June 26, 2013 at 11:34 am

I know it, that’s all I wear now. I wanted long hair so I could curl it and style it…not the case with baby!

3 Mallory June 26, 2013 at 6:48 am

LOVE this post! Thanks for posting your routine. I totally posted it on Pinterest to reflect back on after baby girl is here.

4 Steph June 26, 2013 at 11:34 am

I hope it helps!

5 Athena R June 26, 2013 at 6:50 am

I’m learning so much from your updates, and I can’t wait to apply some techniques when I have my little guy.

6 Steph June 26, 2013 at 11:34 am

Yay! When are you due?

7 Athena R June 26, 2013 at 12:31 pm

September 4

8 Anita at Hungry Couple June 26, 2013 at 6:58 am

See, now he’s getting seriously cute! And do not cut your beautiful hair! Just pull it into a low bun or pony tail until he’s a little older. You’ve been good about trying to get your figure back and not turn into a mommy “lump” so let hubs keep his sexy young wife a little longer… 🙂

9 Steph June 26, 2013 at 11:33 am

LOL! This cracked me up!

10 Gretchen June 26, 2013 at 7:18 am

Logan is so cute! My baby is only a week younger than yours and we are doing the same thing with naps except in the swing. I haven’t tried her crib yet. I’m curious about your night wake ups. Ours was only waking once per night and going right back to sleep. For the past couple of weeks she’s been waking twice (1 and 3-ish) and it’s been taking her longer to go back to sleep. I start back to work in a week and a half and I’m worried about not being able to function. know that this will pass, but I’m hoping it’s sooner rather than later. Did Logan have a sleep regression around 10 weeks?

11 Steph June 26, 2013 at 11:32 am

He night time sleeping is not so great. We put him down at 8:30-9 and he’ll sleep until about 1, then he’s up every 2 hours after that, officially awake at 7. The good thing is that he stays asleep while he feeds and I can just put him back in the crib, but I can’t wait until he just sleeps through the night. I didn’t notice any sleep regression, but I’m thinking right now he’s either going through a growth spurt or even starting to teeth. The last two nights he’s been up every 40 minutes just fussy and wanting to be held :/

12 ashley - baker by nature June 26, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Gah! So much sweet baby cuteness!!! I love it 🙂

13 Liz June 26, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Oh, I just want to kiss those chubby cheeks! Sleep was always the biggest challenge for my children…good luck!

14 Nikki @Seeded at the Table June 26, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Logan is such a cutie! Good job on getting better with his naps. I haven’t heard of The Baby Whisperer before, but have followed “Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child” with great success. Never read it cover to cover, but just glanced at it time to time for help and loved it. You’re doing great, mama!

15 Steph June 28, 2013 at 9:35 am

I read that one too and got some really good tips! All these dang baby books LOL

16 Anne @ Have a Cookie! June 26, 2013 at 8:34 pm

He is so cute! I love these updates 🙂

17 Emily June 27, 2013 at 12:57 pm

This is super helpful. Ive been loosely following the EASY schedule but haven’t been so firm about nap routines… I think we need to start swaddling like you’re doing during the day!

18 Steph June 28, 2013 at 7:31 am

We’ve been doing this routine for almost a week now and I am amazed at how much better he naps!

19 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts June 28, 2013 at 10:21 am

Logan is such a little cutie! Can’t believe he is 11 weeks already! Brings back so many memories of my little guy when he was a baby.

20 Chatie July 8, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Hi!
I’ve read about the easy method and I’m trying to figure out what to do when the baby wakes up and it’s not time to eat yet, do u just do activity/play then?

21 Steph July 9, 2013 at 7:18 am

When he wakes up we just play on the playmat or sit with each other and play around. I use that time as our hanging out time until he is ready to eat again. Hope that helps!