Logan: 16 Weeks Old

July 30, 2013

Logan has found a new way to melt my heart.

The last few days I’ve been trying to get him used to not being rocked to sleep. So I feed him, change his diaper, play Itsy Bitsy Spider or read a book, and then I put him in his Magic Merlin Sleep Suit and lay him in  his crib. I give him his pacifier and then rub his belly while singing Twinkle Twinkle. He starts to fight me a little, but in the middle of his little whimpers he is now reaching his hands up and holding my arm and stroking it. It is the CUTEST, most loving thing ever. It’s now become my favorite part of nap and bedtime. And last night he turned his face to me when I was carrying him to the crib with his mouth wide open and put it up against mine. My first kisses. He just kept mouthing at my lips, it was the sweetest thing.

It takes him a few minutes to calm down, but he’ll all the sudden stop crying and his eyes slowly drift closed. And when I start to walk away I just feel so proud that I’m getting him used to falling asleep without so much help from me. I haven’t rocked him to sleep for three days now…and I haven’t picked him up in a week.

Progress!

I’m trying to start slowly getting him used to getting to sleep on his own so that maybe we can avoid sleep training and Ferberizing him. But, if he doesn’t take to it, then we still plan to sleep train him when he’s old enough.

…it seems like all I do in these posts is talk about his sleep, but man, right now that’s the biggest thing we’re working on!

In the last few days Logan has started to get very interested in us when we’re eating. He will follow us with his eyes, watching as we bring our hands up to our mouth. He just stares at us, wide eyed and mouth open. He’s is so ready to start eating food [I can’t believe we can start introducing solids next week…it’s making me so sad, thinking that my little man is growing up].

My mom got him this new toy for his car seat carrier and he is so obsessed with it! When you pull the giraffe down it vibrates itself back up to the top. It wasn’t ten minutes of him having this on his car seat that he learned how to pull it down. It has become a lifesaver in the car, since Logan is abnormal and cries in the car instead of sleep. All I hear now is him yanking on the giraffe and “ooohhh”ing at it.

I’ve been trying to get Logan to roll over now for the last week and he’s getting so close! He turned all the way to one side and just stayed there, then went back on to his back. So he’s accomplished the halfway roll and I’m so anxious for him to make the whole trip over. It just so fun to watch him start to develop all these skills.

On Saturday Logan spent the day at Grammy’s house so that I could get prep work done for a dinner party. I about went insane. It’s the first time I’ve ever left him somewhere all day long, and his first car ride without me. I was on edge watching my mom pull out of the parking lot. I guess the other times I’ve left him I knew he wasn’t leaving the house. But, letting someone else drive my baby without me in the car gave me more anxiety than I thought I was going to have. It was nice to have a few hours to get everything done, but I felt so alone at home and after two hours was just missing him so much. It made me feel so grateful that I get to stay at home with him everyday.

See all of Logan’s Weekly Updates here

1 RavieNomNoms July 30, 2013 at 7:02 am

I can’t believe how big hes gotten!!

2 Danielle @ Runs with Spatulas July 30, 2013 at 7:30 am

He is getting so big, and such a cutie! I’m glad to hear that what you’re doing for him for sleep is working!

I’m not sure if you’ve heard or not (or if your pedi told you) but the new recommendation is to wait until 6 mo to begin solids. It’s been super difficult for us to wait this long as right around the 4 month mark Evie developed go go gadget arms at the table. But it’s better for their gut and helps reduce food allergies so we waited. We’re also doing baby led weaning which I’m super excited about (no spoon feeding or purees here!).

Hurry up and start rolling for your Mommy, Logan!

3 Steph July 30, 2013 at 7:55 am

Oh really?! I had no clue!! I’m gonna start looking in to all of this now!

4 Danielle @ Runs with Spatulas July 30, 2013 at 11:29 am

Check out Kelly Mom: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/delay-solids/
I love this site as it’s all evidence-based info and she gives links to actual studies.

5 Zainab July 30, 2013 at 9:04 am

He is getting so big!!!

6 Kylie @ immaeatthat July 30, 2013 at 2:03 pm

I’m not sure if those are tears or laughter in

7 Kylie @ immaeatthat July 30, 2013 at 2:07 pm

{whoops…didn’t mean to hit enter} I’m not sure if those are tears or laughter in week 8 but such a cute picture. I LOVE how you put the weekly progression pictures all together. Week 8 is precious but…I think week 16 is my fav so far…kills me he’s so cute:)

8 Steph July 31, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I was looking at all these pictures the night before and thinking the same thing! Week 8 was like his last week as a little baby

9 Christina @ The Beautiful Balance July 30, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Omg that sweet little smile!!! There are no words

10 Steph July 31, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I know it!

11 Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen July 30, 2013 at 9:59 pm

First kisses for mommy, being observant of mommy and daddy eating, halfway roll and getting to sleep quickly on his own…and, almost ready for solid foods…your little man is making huge progress, Steph! I’m sure it is a relief at the same time sad, or bittersweet. You’re such a great mom! Thanks for sharing! xo

12 Veronica July 31, 2013 at 1:09 am

I keep waiting to see if his blue eyes will start turning to brown like his mama’s, but I think the blue is here to stay! He’s just the most precious boy, and it melts my heart to imagine him stroking your arm. So sweet. And isn’t it funny how baby kisses are open-mouthed? Pretty dang cute.

13 Steph July 31, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Oh I hope the blue is here to stay!

14 Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste July 31, 2013 at 7:18 am

What an absolute angel! I love seeing how much he’s grown over the weeks — such a neat idea to photograph it this way! Enjoy every minute 🙂

15 Steph July 31, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Thanks Kelly!!

16 Kim August 5, 2013 at 10:34 am

Wow! Great job on helping him soothe himself to sleep! Are you still breastfeeding?

17 Steph August 6, 2013 at 8:49 am

Thanks!! Yes, still breastfeeding…I’m trying to go a whole year